Master of Science in Biomedical Science

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yo21, Mar 4, 2007.

1. yo21

yo21 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello everyone:

I was wondering if anybody knew something about the Barry University 's Master of Science in Biomedical Science in Miami, Florida.

"The 1-year Accelerated Option is especially helpful for you if you have completed pre-medical preparation as an undergraduate and want to enhance your qualifications at the graduate level prior to attempting full-time medical studies. In this option, you enroll in classes that parallel the first year of medical and dental studies. Over the past 21 years, 77% of the Option I Program graduates have gained admission to allopathic, osteopathic, dental, and podiatric schools"

What do you guys think about this program????
    Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. USCbiograd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am applying to the Masters of Biomedical Sciences at the University of South Carolina. It seems that this program is geared towards pre-Dental/Med/Vet students that were not able to gain acceptance to there perfered field. I think it is a great stepping stone to gain admittance to a professional program.

4. Veneto

Veneto Member
    5+ Year Member

When I looked into the program at Midwestern University in Glendale, Arizona the acceptance rate was 100% for dental or medical schools after the second year, and 79% after only completing the first year of their program. Plus they accept the DAT or the MCAT for the entrace exam.

5. CSI Dentist

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    LSU has the same program, so does UNT .... hopefully I get into one at UNT...

6. gatormichigan

7+ Year Member

Well I'm from the area and Barry is not a good university at all. I guess Nova and UF will know that but schools up north wont.
    One thing I do know is that UF adcom likes master programs + thesis

7. hienchan

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what makes it not a good university?

8. gatormichigan

7+ Year Member

There are better schools in fl such as UF and UM. If you are looking for a masters in FL I think the one at Nova would be better.

9. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    in FL i recommend the Biomedical Sciences MS from FAU. They offer a non-thesis option...extremely cheap tuition w/ the opportunity for reimbursement + stipend if you become a graduate assistant.

i don't have any experience with this program, but a friend of mine has nothing but great things to say about it.

jb!:)

10. gatormichigan

7+ Year Member

If you are wanting to go to UF I know they like master programs with a thesis

11. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    Yeah, if you are wanting to go to UF I know they use nepotism, but it doesn't mean it's the best option :rolleyes:

jb!:)

12. gatormichigan

7+ Year Member

hmmmm......... they do give pref. to UF students though