Master Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD 1YEAR LONG MASTER PROGRAMS WHERE YOU CAN TAKE MED CLASSES? I AM LOOKING FOR A PUBLIC INSTITUTION.

Members don't see this ad.

DO A SEARCH. THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED A CAZILLION TIMES BEFORE. IF YOU WERE TO LOOK BELOW YOU'D FIND A FEW ALREADY BEING DUSCUSSED. OPEN YOUR EYES. STOP BEING LAZY. SEARCH NOW DANGIT!

Off of the top of my head: Georgetown has a Special Master's Program in Physiology and Finch University has a program that's similar. Both allow you to take classes with 1st year med students and give you some preference for admission to their med school if you do well. Both are ridiculously expensive and neither degree will be useful for ANYTHING outside of getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just starting to look into this too. Stanford has a M.S. in Biological Sciences that they claim is just 3 quarters. (http://www.stanford.edu/dept/biology/programs_msc.html). And it appears you can take quite a few medical school courses that would count toward the masters degree. No idea how competitive it is though?

edit: Just noticed you were looking for a "public institution." Stanford, of course, is not one.

what are some good master programs? Are there any that offer a M.S. in anatomy? I hate chemistry! I dont want to do a masters that involves chem.

I got my Masters at Creighton University in Clinical Anatomy. You take gross anatomy with the medical students, neuroanatomy with the physical therapy students. You also do clinical rotations under the surgeons, OB/GYNs, radiologists, and pathologists. It is an 18 month program (i.e. you begin August 2004 and graduate December 2005), and it is so great. It really teaches you how to study for medical school. Your last semester is spent TAing the gross anatomy lab for the first year medical students. Believe me, anatomy will be a breeze when you finish this. You can't go into it expecting it to be easy though. If you are interested contact Dr. Tom Quinn at Creighton University.

chicadehuskers said:
I got my Masters at Creighton University in Clinical Anatomy. You take gross anatomy with the medical students, neuroanatomy with the physical therapy students. You also do clinical rotations under the surgeons, OB/GYNs, radiologists, and pathologists. It is an 18 month program (i.e. you begin August 2004 and graduate December 2005), and it is so great. It really teaches you how to study for medical school. Your last semester is spent TAing the gross anatomy lab for the first year medical students. Believe me, anatomy will be a breeze when you finish this. You can't go into it expecting it to be easy though. If you are interested contact Dr. Tom Quinn at Creighton University.

He said PUBLIC.

I believe VCU has one.

exmike said:
He said PUBLIC.

I believe VCU has one.
Thanks, exmike. I can read. DRANTWAN, however, did not say "PUBLIC." He asked if anyone knew of any anatomy programs!

chicadehuskers said:
Thanks, exmike. I can read. DRANTWAN, however, did not say "PUBLIC." He asked if anyone knew of any anatomy programs!
didnt see who you were replying to. :idea:

Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis has a one year masters in Biology. www.biology.iupui.edu

Indiana University Medical School has a one year masters in Biophysiology. www.medicine.iu.edu

IU did the IUPUI masters. Mostly biochem and molecular bio with some other cool electives. You get to pick most of your classes. Good program. Got into several med schools.

Normalforce