This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bangtan13

Reaction score
So I unfortunately did not get accepted into any of the schools (MD or DO) that I applied to this past cycle. My stats were a bit average, 3.5 GPA and 504 MCAT, so it wasn’t too surprising. I will be taking my MCAT again but I also applied to masters programs and was accepted at Brown for biotech and Boston University for their smp in medical science. Due to a scholarship I received, Brown is $23000 cheaper than BU and I am questioning which program would benefit my application more. The BU program is basically a watered down version of M1, but I have been told it is incredibly difficult to be successful as the med students are graded on pass/fail while the masters is by letter grade. I'm not sure how relevant the biotech degree would be, but I would have the opportunity to do research for both years and I can choose to emphasize the bio in biotech with the classes I take. Would Brown still be worth it even if it isn't directly medicine related?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are within range for a DO acceptance. Your GPA isn't what kept you out. So an SMP doesn't make sense, in my opinion.

I don't think you should risk an MCAT retake either unless you're scoring 6-10 points higher on your FLs than your original score. Your stats aren't the problem here. I suspect it is more so your writing and school list.

I believe you should reapply with the stats you have focusing primarily on DO schools. Can you give us the school list for your failed application cycle and your other details ECs, volunteering, etc.?

Reactions: 1 users
Please reply back here with info asked for above as well as the other bullet points in this below template:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to about 14 schools and got an interview for LECOM. This past year I have been working full time at a medical microbiology lab in my local hospital and have been regularly volunteering virtually with the red cross. I was a little limited due to covid, but I had one semester of research, about 50 hours of clinical volunteering and 20 hours of shadowing. I also was a member of some small extracurricular clubs but those were all casually
B90CE8F7-BFDC-48CF-B8BA-C26733429D2C.jpeg

I applied to about 14 schools and got an interview for LECOM. This past year I have been working full time at a medical microbiology lab in my local hospital and have been regularly volunteering virtually with the red cross. I was a little limited due to covid, but I had one semester of research, about 50 hours of clinical volunteering and 20 hours of shadowing. I also was a member of some small extracurricular clubs but those were all casually
We would be better able to help you if you posted a properly formatted WAMC (What are my chances) in the appropriate subforum.

1. 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA
  2. MCAT: 504- 126 in each section
  3. From Pennsylvania
  4. ethnicity: Indian
  5. Undergrad at Pitt in Microbiology
  6. Full time employee of hospital microbiology lab for one year, 30 hours of hospital volunteering doing rounds and checking on patient needs, 20 hours of hospital volunteering prepping rooms for blood transfusion
  7. one semester of research in an otolaryngology lab with final poster presentation
  8. virtual shadowing ~20 hours due to covid (specialties include cardiology, pediatrics, emergency med, family med)
  9. Red cross duty officer volunteer (act as local dispatch to connect victims of fires with emergency responders) and raised money for local food bank.
  10. Extras: Biochemistry TA for one semester, member of CHAARG workout club, member of AMSA club
  11. Dean’s list for multiple semesters
  12. Deciding between Brown masters in biochem or Boston university SMP in med science

Your sGPA is on the lower side, but your clinical experience was very low at the time you applied. Do you interact with patients with your job at the micro lab? If not, you will need to volunteer at the hospital and gain 200 hours or switch to a paid scribe/MA job.

It would be better if you volunteered in-person at the food bank as opposed to doing fundraising (for 150 or more hours). You will need to get 50 hours of in-person shadowing. Virtual does not count, and I would recommend shadowing a DO physician. Your PS likely was not very convincing to readers about why you want to become a physician since you had limited experience with patients, so that will need to be completely changed as well.

Several of the schools you applied to are heavily focused on in-state applicants (Ohio, Michigan State, North Texas etc.) or prefer higher MCAT scores (Western, CCOM).

When you accomplish the above, I suggest:

PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
NYIT (including the AR campus)
UNE
ACOM
Campbell
Marian
DMU
KCOM
WCU
UIWSOM
WVSOM
VCOM (check the GPA cutoffs, apply to all campuses)
KCU (include Joplin, check the sGPA cutoff here too)
Touro Nevada

No need for a masters. Save your money.

Reactions: 2 users
Your sGPA is on the lower side, but your clinical experience was very low at the time you applied. Do you interact with patients with your job at the micro lab? If not, you will need to volunteer at the hospital and gain 200 hours or switch to a paid scribe/MA job.

It would be better if you volunteered in-person at the food bank as opposed to doing fundraising (for 150 or more hours). You will need to get 50 hours of in-person shadowing. Virtual does not count, and I would recommend shadowing a DO physician. Your PS likely was not very convincing to readers about why you want to become a physician since you had limited experience with patients, so that will need to be completely changed as well.

Several of the schools you applied to are heavily focused on in-state applicants (Ohio, Michigan State, North Texas etc.) or prefer higher MCAT scores (Western, CCOM).

When you accomplish the above, I suggest:

PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
NYIT (including the AR campus)
UNE
ACOM
Campbell
Marian
DMU
KCOM
WCU
UIWSOM
WVSOM
VCOM (check the GPA cutoffs, apply to all campuses)
KCU (include Joplin, check the sGPA cutoff here too)
Touro Nevada

No need for a masters. Save your money.
Thank you! This has been very helpful.

Strongly seconding the advice that's already been given. You need more hospital volunteer hours and some more time in activities helping the less fortunate that you can speak passionately about. Also make sure to have your new PS reviewed by friends and family with some involvement in medicine. Same goes for your writing on your secondaries.

Also I would add ATSU-SOMA to the list of schools.

Please apply to my school TUNCOM, you have good chance to get in. Make sure shadow a DO and get a letter.
No need for SMP or MS, don't waste $$$ and quit applying to MD programs.
Work on your app and add more hours for clinical before you submit your app.
Make sure apply on DAY1.

Please apply to my school TUNCOM, you have good chance to get in. Make sure shadow a DO and get a letter.
No need for SMP or MS, don't waste $$$ and quit applying to MD programs.
Work on your app and add more hours for clinical before you submit your app.
Make sure apply on DAY1.
They did.