Masters before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostfirstgen

Reaction score
I am looking into master's programs currently, is there any topic that is more appealing to dental schools? I am leaning more towards public health but I feel that may be too "Med-school" for dental school applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t get a MPH.
Aim for medical sciences, biomedical sciences, oral health sciences, something along those lines

Reactions: 2 users
I am looking into master's programs currently, is there any topic that is more appealing to dental schools? I am leaning more towards public health but I feel that may be too "Med-school" for dental school applications.
Why are you looking at Masters programs? Why not just save the year and tuition and straight apply for dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your GPAs (cGPA and sGPA)?
3.0 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA.I am looking into post bacc programs too but a lot have 3.0 gpa requirements and since I’m on the lower end, trying to exhaust all options.

I would recommend looking at bridge programs with dental schools like the one at Rutgers or Texas A&M. Your stats are good enough to get into a bridge program I believe.

3.0 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA.I am looking into post bacc programs too but a lot have 3.0 gpa requirements and since I’m on the lower end, trying to exhaust all options.
Not gonna lie, you could get in with those stats, but your ECs would have to be loaded and your interviews (assuming you get some) would have to be spot on. Would you be able to apply to masters programs and also dental schools this upcoming cycle, and if you don't gain admission to dental schools just attend a masters program you were accepted to?

go for SMP programs geared towards students wanting to go to dental and med school, don't do an MPH. getting a masters in Biology would make you more competitive for two main reasons
1. YOu are taking more challenging science courses, since you said your UG GPA is low, the masters courses will show that you have improved and are capable of handling a heavy course load
2. Most of these masters programs have some sort of research requirement. This is a huge advantage and will help you stick out in your application, especially if you get published.

- if you are interested in public health, you can certainly take some courses on disparities in health care as electives in your masters. Moreover, you can volunteer in different programs that provide dental care to underprivileged, to do this try to go to a school that has a dental school and ask if you can volunteer with their initiatives. Best of luck!