Masters Degree or Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phamdmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the masters degree the same thing as post bachelor's? Are people applying for a masters program as a backup if they don't make it into dental school? do dentals schools care if you take a year off? or would they rather have you studying and taking courses, which is the reason why people apply for masters. i was wondering how the master's degree works. is it offered in any university and if so, can you withdraw any time? maybe after 1 year if you get into dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think pre-dents who major in the sciences generally enroll in graduate school to improve their application due to a poor gpa. If youre a bio major and graduate with a 3.0 or so, you would opt more than likely for a science/health related masters program since there prolly arent any more applicable science courses for you to take at the undergrad level.

Now on the flipside, post-bacc is generally still at the undergrad level (you usually cant enroll in grad level classes undeclared). Take me as an example. I was a finance major and enrolled post-bacc to fulfill my science pre-reqs -- there were still undergraduate level classes applicable for admission to dental school.