master's Degree programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I received a rejection letter from ICO, and unfortunately, it was the only school I really wanted to get into. I called the school this morning and spoke to one of the admissions counselors. She recommended that I apply for a master's degree program. I just feel so lost and I have no idea where to start. I will be moving to Chicago in July, and I need to start applying asap before all the deadlines are past. I would also look into a program that is one year so I could start reapplying asap. If I were to reapply, would I still be able to apply in august/sept? Or would it put met off another year? If I were to apply in aug/sept, ICO woud only have my gpa from my last semester of undergrad. Are the school expecting me to do exceptionally well in these programs? Is there a minimum GPA I should maintain? Do any of you guys have any information on master's programs or heard of anyone taking this route?

I'm also contemplating the whole issue on going into whatever school accepts me, or sacrificing another year of my life in order to get into the school of my choice. I really want to go to chicago so I can be with my boyfriend, who just matched there. I also love the city, and have friends that go there. I've lived at home my life and would really like to be on my own for awhile. I know its sounds immature and everything, and that I should just go to any school that accepts me, but I dont see the point in being miserable for 4 years of my life vs. working on a masters for a year and then being where i really want to be. can someone please talk some sense into me? i just feel lost =(.....

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I received a rejection letter from ICO, and unfortunately, it was the only school I really wanted to get into. I called the school this morning and spoke to one of the admissions counselors. She recommended that I apply for a master's degree program. I just feel so lost and I have no idea where to start. I will be moving to Chicago in July, and I need to start applying asap before all the deadlines are past. I would also look into a program that is one year so I could start reapplying asap. If I were to reapply, would I still be able to apply in august/sept? Or would it put met off another year? If I were to apply in aug/sept, ICO woud only have my gpa from my last semester of undergrad. Are the school expecting me to do exceptionally well in these programs? Is there a minimum GPA I should maintain? Do any of you guys have any information on master's programs or heard of anyone taking this route?

I'm also contemplating the whole issue on going into whatever school accepts me, or sacrificing another year of my life in order to get into the school of my choice. I really want to go to chicago so I can be with my boyfriend, who just matched there. I also love the city, and have friends that go there. I've lived at home my life and would really like to be on my own for awhile. I know its sounds immature and everything, and that I should just go to any school that accepts me, but I dont see the point in being miserable for 4 years of my life vs. working on a masters for a year and then being where i really want to be. can someone please talk some sense into me? i just feel lost =(.....

What were your admissions stats (OAT, GPA, exposure to field)? Did the counselor mention anything specific you should work on?

The good thing about Chicago is that there are tons of colleges/universities that would offer masters programs. I would research those programs which usually have rolling admissions and probably allow you to start during a normal academic year. Don't give up! Reapplying is nothing new, and by moving to Chicago and getting a 1year masters degree, you are showing the admissions committee your determination. Choose a practical masters program. Also working at an OD office during the weekends will give you more experience.

There are a ton of masters programs offered at Chicago but as far as 1 year masters programs...the only ones that come to mind are at Rosalind Franklin in North Chicago and Midwestern University in Downers Grove for biomedical sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could also do a post-bacc. Its the same general idea, but you wouldn't get a degree (so you wouldn't be limited to taking courses you're not interested in, but you could take whatever upper level courses you want). I BELIEVE that the main purpose of telling you to try to get a masters would be to increase your GPA.

Regardless of what you decide, yes, the admissions committees will expect exceptional grades.

It's completely understandable to want to be close to your boyfriend (I was in the same position), but you should make sure he won't be the ONLY reason you don't want to consider other schools. Would you still want to go to ICO (or go into optometry altogether) if he wasn't a factor?

hey guys thanks for all the input so far,

here are my stats. 2.8 GPA 350 OAT

I'm basically on the borderline of high OAT and very minimum gpa. I'm waitlisted for PCO and NOVA.

Yes, I was actually considering ICO even before my boyfriend found out where his match was going to be. A post bacc sounds like a really good idea right now. I even asked if I could do research or something, but the counselor said if GPA is what I'm lacking then its still going to be the factor pulling me back. Please let me know if you guys have any other input or advice! thanks =)

I would look into applying for postbac. Those seem to look really well to admissions bc I had several friends who did a postbac program for dental school and got accepted this year.

do you know when pco and nova will notify you by?
hopefully they can give you a definite answer soon..

best wishes!