masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
any recommendation on master programs to enhance the GPA for undergraduate who finished the pre-requisite, but want to enhance their GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi UOP123321,

Many people I know did the MS in Biomedical Sciences at Barry University in FL. It's a really good program to my knowledge and they have an accelerated track (if you qualify).
There are a lot more programs out there, just do a little research.
Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is for the purpose of making up for a poor undergrad GPA, then you might want to look into a special master's program.

Personally, with a low undergrad GPA, I definitely recommend a Masters Program. Im currently at Barry, graduating in May, and attending dental school in the fall. This program prepares you for dental school and the DAT. Well worth it!!

any recommendation on master programs to enhance the GPA for undergraduate who finished the pre-requisite, but want to enhance their GPA?

I would first aim to ace the DAT first if the GPA wasn't anything below 3.000.

State school MS works ... I had six interviews and a few acceptances

I went the masters degree route, and I believe that it was well worth it. I was able to take some courses that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad such as pathophysiology, pharmacology, human embryology etc, which I think will be helpful when I start dental school. My degree was in Medical Health and Laboratory sciences, and the courses were all considered BMS (biomedical sciences) courses. As others have said, do some research. There are a lot of programs out there.

Last edited:
I went the masters degree route, and I believe that it was well worth it. I was able to take some courses that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad such as pathophysiology, pharmacology, human embryology etc, which I think will be helpful when I start dental school. My degree was in Medical Health and Laboratory sciences, and the courses were all considered BMS (biomedical sciences) courses. As others have said, do some research. There are a lot of programs out there.[/
which school you attend for the master degree>?

I went the masters degree route, and I believe that it was well worth it. I was able to take some courses that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad such as pathophysiology, pharmacology, human embryology etc, which I think will be helpful when I start dental school. My degree was in Medical Health and Laboratory sciences, and the courses were all considered BMS (biomedical sciences) courses. As others have said, do some research. There are a lot of programs out there.
which school you attend for the master degree?

BU & Tufts have programs. I think Hopkins does too. I've heard of Barry too

Reactions: 1 user
Search Barry University BMS, you will see lots of threads on it. Good program. I just graduated from there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Mississippi College in Clinton, MS has another great SMP program. You'll be getting a masters in Medical Sciences and will be able to take dental-level courses such as Gross Anatomy, histology, immunology, neuroanatomy, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I attend a webinar before for the BU oral program. I feel it's so expensive and doesn't guarantee an interview or LOR from the program. Tufts have a very low percent for the student who attend dental school after they finish the master.
Is there any master degree that guarantees an acceptance or interview for dental school. I knew some medical schools offers master in biomedical science and after finish, it's guaranteed to get an acceptance in this medical school

Baylor or Creighton are the only ones that I know of that guarantees acceptance if you meet the respective academic requirement at the end of post-bacc. But neither of those programs are master programs.

Furthermore, Baylor only accepts Texas residents, and both are super-competitive to get into.

I'm applying to Rutgers currently because you get to take dental school courses and receive personalized advice from Rutger dental school's admissions.

I don't know how low the Tuft's matriculation rates are after masters, but Rutgers claim that half of students who finish the masters get into 1 or more dental school of their choices.

is there any Master for enhance the GPA in CA. I'm in CA and looking for in-state tuition

I attend a webinar before for the BU oral program. I feel it's so expensive and doesn't guarantee an interview or LOR from the program. Tufts have a very low percent for the student who attend dental school after they finish the master.
Is there any master degree that guarantees an acceptance or interview for dental school. I knew some medical schools offers master in biomedical science and after finish, it's guaranteed to get an acceptance in this medical school

If may be helpful to talk to someone in the career services department of the program that you're looking into applying to and expressing what your goals are as far as getting into dental school. I would want to know what are the areas that students who graduate said program gravitate towards. Do a good percentage of students look to continue their education in a medical professional school once they graduate etc. For instance, the program that I completed had students who were either looking to or currently working in medical laboratories in hospitals, as well as students who were looking to apply to med school and I met someone else who was planning on attending dental school etc. I felt that the program over was one that helped students further propel them towards their desired field so I felt that it was the right for me.

Baylor or Creighton are the only ones that I know of that guarantees acceptance if you meet the respective academic requirement at the end of post-bacc. But neither of those programs are master programs.

Midwestern AZ and Midwestern IL have Masters of Arts (MA, 9 months) and Masters of Science (MS, 2 year) in Biomedical Science. They offer guaranteed interviews/acceptance at BOTH Midwestern AZ Dental School and Midwestern IL Dental School. So you get a masters degree and guarantees at two dental schools. It was great program.

Midwestern AZ and Midwestern IL have Masters of Arts (MA, 9 months) and Masters of Science (MS, 2 year) in Biomedical Science. They offer guaranteed interviews/acceptance at BOTH Midwestern AZ Dental School and Midwestern IL Dental School. So you get a masters degree and guarantees at two dental schools. It was great program.

Thought it was guaranteed interviews only (if above a 3.5 or something).

Thought it was guaranteed interviews only (if above a 3.5 or something).

There are 2 programs. A one year MA program and a two year MBS program.

The one year program is extremely accelerated, and fairly difficult. However, it will prepare you for dental school as many of those who graduated form the MA program are among the top of their class in dental school.

The two year MBS program is research-oriented. You still do take most of the courses that the MA students take, but it is longer and you do not have a summer vacation.

The Biomedical Sciences program and the Dental College used to have a good working relationship.

In the past, if you finish the winter quarter with a 3.00+ GPA, you are guaranteed an interview (NOT an acceptance).
If you finish the program with a 3.60+ GPA, you are guaranteed an acceptance provided that your interview was acceptable.

Now, there is a new Dean of Admissions who is essential trying to negate this. the 3.00 GPA for an interview still holds true, but he has stated that he will not honor the guaranteed acceptance.

I am currently in the masters program and have spoken to previous masters students who are currently D1's and D2's so I have a pretty good indication on what's going on.