Master's Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papichulooo_92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing PGY1-residency and did not obtain a PGY2. Assessing other opportunities.

Aside from the cost of the degrees (AKA extra loans), which is more desirable in today's job market: MBA vs. MHA vs. MPH?

I know it also depends on "what you want to do".

Thoughts please.

Members don't see this ad.

Adding an AACSB-accredited live in-person MBA to my PharmD only cost me $31,745 ($19,215 in tuition and $12,530 in loan refunds to live on) with just seven months of opportunity cost of being out of the job market. Keep in mind I was taking an MBA class or two each semester after my third semester of pharmacy school, so that I would only have twelve credits to do after I walked for my PharmD. Having my MBA got me a job I wouldn't have otherwise qualified for since it requires an MBA but not a PharmD.

In my 37 months of management consulting to the pharmaceutical industry and interacting with direct clients across Commercial in Market Access, Reimbursement, Payer Marketing, Brand Teams, Policy (U.S. & Ex-US), Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), and Health Technology Assessment (HTA) departments, I have only come across MPHs sparingly, and each instance was in either a HEOR or HTA support role. I would not get an MPH unless I was seeking a job in HEOR or HTA. An MBA is more versatile and more visible within pharmaceutical companies. PharmDs are around, but more concentrated near medical affairs, safety, and regulatory.

Last edited:
I would have to vote for MBA - but only if going into a mgmt position - the others are relevent depends on what type of position you want. For a generic "clinical/staff RPh" position, really none of them make that much of a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finishing PGY1-residency and did not obtain a PGY2. Assessing other opportunities.

Aside from the cost of the degrees (AKA extra loans), which is more desirable in today's job market: MBA vs. MHA vs. MPH?

I know it also depends on "what you want to do".

Thoughts please.
I vote for MBA over MPH, just in case pharmacy don’t work out, an MBA is more helpful. I finished an AACSB-accredited MBA recently and will start an MS in business analytics at the top 20 business schools. Business analytics or business intelligent is something that you may be more interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I vote for MBA over MPH, just in case pharmacy don’t work out, an MBA is more helpful. I finished an AACSB-accredited MBA recently and will start an MS in business analytics at the top 20 business schools. Business analytics or business intelligent is something that you may be more interested in.

This is a very versatile and solid combination. I am a big fan of PharmD, MS, MBA where the MS is focused on data analytics in industry.

I got a very broad grad degree from a top 5 school. Unfortunately I won't be entering the job market (I decided to go into entrepreneurship), but I can tell you all the company's you'd like to talk to you become much more interested when you get the right degree from the right school.