Affordable & Highly Reputable Online Computer Science/Data Science/Cybersecurity Masters Programs for Career Pivot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy_sucks

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Due to increasingly abysmal pharmacy job outcomes, for those who are interested in pursuing a career pivot to computer science/data science/cybersecurity or seeing no light at the end of the PGY-1/2/3/infinity tunnel and want to get out asap, I think this post can be a good start for some of you guys. If you love retail or clinical pharmacy to death, or rather die counting pills by five than writing a single line of code, please ignore this post LOL.

Disclaimer: I am not officially associated with any of these programs below or receiving any financial benefit from any of them, except Georgia Tech OMSCS and OMSA, to which I am admitted for Fall 2020. I understand coding is not for everyone, and I am not trying to push anyone into it either. This will hopefully only serve as a reference for those who are interested in pursuing such direction. The list here will likely not to be exhaustive by nature and will certainly expand in future as more programs become available. Programs selected here can be a bit biased based on my personal opinion, since the meaning of words like "affordable" and "reputable" are subjective after all, so take everything here with a grain of salt. But by all means, almost all of the programs listed below will still be considerably more "affordable" than most pharmacy schools on the market today. I only try to include those that do not differentiate delivery format (online vs. on-campus) on diploma or transcript, AND those I believe, can "guaranteed" high-paying jobs post-graduation. The list is also not meant to be ordered by affordability, program ranking, or employment outcome by any means.

Georgia Institute of Technology:
Online Master of Science in Computer Science (OMSCS)

Online Master of Science in Analytics (OMSA)

Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity

University of Pennsylvania:
Online Master of Computer and Information Technology

Arizona State University:
Online Master of Computer Science

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign:
Online Master of Computer Science/Online Master of Computer Science in Data Science (MCS-DS)

Rice University:
Master of Computer Science Online

The University of Texas at Austin
Master of Computer Science Online (MSCSO)

Stanford University:
Online Master of Science in Computer Science

Columbia University:

North Carolina State University at Raleigh:
Master of Computer Science (Distance Education)

Boston University:
Online Master of Science in Computer Information Systems

Online Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics

Online Master of Science in Software Development

University of Illinois at Springfield:

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities:

Syracuse University:

Florida Atlantic University:

University of Michigan:
Master of Applied Data Science - Online

University of Southern California:
Computer Science, M.S.

Master of Science in Applied Data Science

Master of Science Cyber Security Engineering

University of Virginia:
Online Master of Science in Data Science

University of California, Berkeley:
Master of Information and Cybersecurity (MICS)

Online Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS)

New York University:
Online M.S. in Quantitative Management

Cybersecurity, M.S.

Indiana University Bloomington
Business Analytics, MS

Data Science, MS

Cybersecurity Risk Management, MS

Purdue University
Online MS in Business Analytics

Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering

Oregon State University: (only CS Bachelors)
online postbaccalaureate computer science

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Great post. I have applied to UPenn's online MCIT myself. It might be a good idea to add Florida Tech's online software development program (even though it's ranked pretty low, LOL).

Reactions: 1 users
Great post. I have applied to UPenn's online MCIT myself. It might be a good idea to add Florida Tech's online software development program (even though it's ranked pretty low, LOL).
I also thought about IIT and NJIT but didn't include them cuz there are truly A LOT of programs, so I guess I will only list some brand names schools this time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, great post. If you don't mind, can I send you a PM with some questions? I'm a pharmacy manager looking to bail retail/pharmacy in general for the software development field. Doesn't take a genius to see the future trajectories of these two fields.

OP, great post. If you don't mind, can I send you a PM with some questions? I'm a pharmacy manager looking to bail retail/pharmacy in general for the software development field. Doesn't take a genius to see the future trajectories of these two fields.
sure.

why was pharmacy suck banned?

• Hmm
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I'm surprised to see that the OP was banned. Regardless of whatever else might have happened, I appreciate the fact that he gave me the idea to consider pursuing CS/SWE as a plan B career and that he took the time and effort to write and post the information in this thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Due to increasingly abysmal pharmacy job outcomes, for those who are interested in pursuing a career pivot to computer science/data science/cybersecurity or seeing no light at the end of the PGY-1/2/3/infinity tunnel and want to get out asap, I think this post can be a good start for some of you guys. If you love retail or clinical pharmacy to death, or rather die counting pills by five than writing a single line of code, please ignore this post LOL.

Disclaimer: I am not officially associated with any of these programs below or receiving any financial benefit from any of them, except Georgia Tech OMSCS and OMSA, to which I am admitted for Fall 2020. I understand coding is not for everyone, and I am not trying to push anyone into it either. This will hopefully only serve as a reference for those who are interested in pursuing such direction. The list here will likely not to be exhaustive by nature and will certainly expand in future as more programs become available. Programs selected here can be a bit biased based on my personal opinion, since the meaning of words like "affordable" and "reputable" are subjective after all, so take everything here with a grain of salt. But by all means, almost all of the programs listed below will still be considerably more "affordable" than most pharmacy schools on the market today. I only try to include those that do not differentiate delivery format (online vs. on-campus) on diploma or transcript, AND those I believe, can "guaranteed" high-paying jobs post-graduation. The list is also not meant to be ordered by affordability, program ranking, or employment outcome by any means.

Georgia Institute of Technology:
Online Master of Science in Computer Science (OMSCS)

Online Master of Science in Analytics (OMSA)

Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity

University of Pennsylvania:
Online Master of Computer and Information Technology

Arizona State University:
Online Master of Computer Science

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign:
Online Master of Computer Science/Online Master of Computer Science in Data Science (MCS-DS)

Rice University:
Master of Computer Science Online

The University of Texas at Austin
Master of Computer Science Online (MSCSO)

Stanford University:

Columbia University:

North Carolina State University at Raleigh:
Master of Computer Science (Distance Education)

Boston University:
Online Master of Science in Computer Information Systems

Online Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics

Online Master of Science in Software Development

University of Illinois at Springfield:

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities:

Syracuse University:

Florida Atlantic University:

University of Michigan:
Master of Applied Data Science - Online

University of Southern California:
Computer Science, M.S.

Master of Science in Applied Data Science

Master of Science Cyber Security Engineering

University of Virginia:
Online Master of Science in Data Science

University of California, Berkeley:
Master of Information and Cybersecurity (MICS)

Online Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS)

New York University:
Online M.S. in Quantitative Management

Cybersecurity, M.S.

Indiana University Bloomington
Business Analytics, MS

Data Science, MS

Cybersecurity Risk Management, MS

Purdue University
Online MS in Business Analytics

Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering

Oregon State University: (only CS Bachelors)
online postbaccalaureate computer science
You forgot UT Austin. And ground courses are cheaper than online but thanks to the pandemic they are all online. There are even community colleges with terrific programs in some of what you mentioned.

I'm surprised to see that the OP was banned. Regardless of whatever else might have happened, I appreciate the fact that he gave me the idea to consider pursuing CS/SWE as a plan B career and that he took the time and effort to write and post the information in this thread.

They seem to ban anyone that says bad things (aka the truth) about the pharmacy profession. I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet.

They seem to ban anyone that says bad things (aka the truth) about the pharmacy profession. I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet.

Or....follow me on this one...

Multiple accounts consisting of: sock-puppeting, X-posting, targeting specific users with inappropriate gestures (all of which after continual warnings), and last of all threats outside the TOS.

So no, what you guys "don't see" is the reasons most get the ban-hammer. The posts that are left are actually beneficial information (even if the users are not what they "portray to be").

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Or....follow me on this one...

Multiple accounts consisting of: sock-puppeting, X-posting, targeting specific users with inappropriate gestures (all of which after continual warnings), and last of all threats outside the TOS.

So no, what you guys "don't see" is the reasons most get the ban-hammer. The posts that are left are actually beneficial information (even if the users are not what they "portray to be").
I've gotten warnings from mods for telling pre-pharms to not go to pharmacy school when they post about PCAT and the such which is baffling to me because I generally don't flame others nor come off as abrasive.

Then again, the mods that give me warnings are usually folks who mod other (non-pharmacy) forums that happen to be wandering around in the pharmacy forums. So maybe they're just not used to the subculture in this sub.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
If talking rationally about saturation or any issues concerning pharmacy were a ban-able offense we would hardly have any members.

All bans and warning come from violating the TOS. Many times it is as simple as not realizing how rude something sounds or pushing the line of decency.

I know it’s a lot more fun to pretend the mods are tyrannical megalomaniacs that’s are in it for their egos and that they are a capricious lot. That’s fine too, no worries. I’ll get you back another day. ;)

My post about the pandemic in the pre-pharm forum got deleted by a mod I've never heard of. There was nothing offensive in it, just truth.

My post about the pandemic in the pre-pharm forum got deleted by a mod I've never heard of. There was nothing offensive in it, just truth.

To be totally honest I wouldn’t have deleted that post personally (obviously sarcasm doesn’t bother me) however you did compare prepharmacy students to a global pandemic and in one line literally called them a virus on the pharmacy profession. If you can’t see the problem with that (remember this is SDN - our stated mission is to “help students become doctors”) I don’t know what to tell you.

You can spread truth all day but when you call the group of people that SDN is here to serve a virus, yeah, someone is probably going to consider that a TOS violation.:thinkies:

The University of Penn looks like a legit program. I'm seriously considering it

The University of Penn looks like a legit program. I'm seriously considering it

I applied to it myself and just received word the other day that my application was rejected. It's definitely worth a shot, but like so many people say, the admissions criteria seem to be so arbitrary

These seem more fun than an MBA. Am I old and so out of it I dont even know what people with these degrees do? Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

These degrees basically prepare people for careers in computer science, software engineering, and possibly data science (depending on whether the degree offers a data science concentration). If someone wants to transition into a career as a software engineer, pretty much any of the programs posted would be suitable choices. Another alternative (and a potentially faster one) would be bootcamp programs, most of which can be completed within 3-4 months. If I end up not being able to find a pharmacist job (or if chain retail ends up being my only viable option), a bootcamp program is going to be my most likely backup plan.

I must say they have some strict rules when it comes to the application. I have yet to apply for a program, but all of my friends that did, were rejected, so I'm a little discouraged. I have a friend that works for https://fidusinfosec.com/public-sector/psn-it-health-check-ithc/ and he's more than satisfied with everything. I like pharmacy, it was my dream since I was a child, but indeed it's not going in the right direction. If someone has successfully applied for this, I'd appreciate a piece of advice.

Last edited:
Anyone care to shed some light on being a software engineer. As far as I know their work/life sucks too. You are expected to work 15-16 hrs no extra pay, always on call even in the middle of the night/weekends. I have a friend who was a software engineer, god she was younger than me and by year 2 at her job she looks 10 years older. So unless it’s really your thing, it’s just a different kind stress.

My husband is also a EE major he said I’m not out for this work..also if you don’t have the energy to go though thousands of lines of coding you should reconsider. Heard they will not hire folks over 30, don’t know if it’s true or not..

Anyone care to shed some light on being a software engineer. As far as I know their work/life sucks too. You are expected to work 15-16 hrs no extra pay, always on call even in the middle of the night/weekends. I have a friend who was a software engineer, god she was younger than me and by year 2 at her job she looks 10 years older. So unless it’s really your thing, it’s just a different kind stress.

My husband is also a EE major he said I’m not out for this work..also if you don’t have the energy to go though thousands of lines of coding you should reconsider. Heard they will not hire folks over 30, don’t know if it’s true or not..

Exactly. Most people here seem to be attracted to software engineer ring for the same reason people were originally attracted to pharmacy: Good pay, clean work, work-life balance. Few people consider the actual job and what it entails.

I can understand if someone would want to go into coding because they like the creatively, of designing programs from the ground up. But, a lot of it probably involves debugging: that is, going through thousands of lines of code to find the one typo that’s causing a whole thing to fail. That to me is mindnumbingly dry...

There's so many different kinds of software engineers that you can't lump them into one category.

My friend is a cloud engineer who has worked remote for about ten years. He can work anywhere that has internet. Before Covid, he would go on mileage runs (basically flying as many miles as possible to rack up elite flyer status for perks) all the time. He flew first class and stayed in 5 star hotels practically for free from all the points he accumulated. He gets free airport lounge access where you get free booze, food and showers. When Covid hit the bay area, he flew to Hawaii where he still is now. He's renting a luxury high rise Airbnb for dirt cheap while his roommates are paying his mortgage back home.

He bought a house in San Francisco in 2012 and it's probably worth double or triple by now. His first company was bought out and he got laid off and he got like a year worth of severance pay. He didn't plan on finding another job right away, but a company was in need and he was working again within 3 weeks. He wasn't even actively looking for work, he was just gonna chill for a few months. So he was basically getting double pay during that time due to the severance.

Before Covid, he had the option to work in the office if he wanted to. He ran to work and ran home, no car needed. Their bathrooms had showers so he could be clean and change before work. They were offered free gourmet breakfast and lunch everyday. He has a typical mon-fri bank schedule, no call no weekends no holidays.

He's an active marathon runner and has done several ultra marathons too. He's qualified for Boston by having a fast time, not thru a charity group. I don't know any pharmacists who have that much free time. He's the healthiest guy in his mid 30s that I know.

He made 150k in 2018 (more now) with consistent raises (real raises, not cost of living raises), bonuses and stock options. One year I told him I got a 3% raise and he laughed, saying "that only covers inflation".

Sounds like a sucky work/life balance doesn't it?

EE is a completely different field. The one EE I know often has to work late, so yeah that field probably isn't fun.

Last edited:
There's so many different kinds of software engineers that you can't lump them into one category.

My friend is a cloud engineer who has worked remote for about ten years. He can work anywhere that has internet. Before Covid, he would go on mileage runs (basically flying as many miles as possible to rack up elite flyer status for perks) all the time. He flew first class and stayed in 5 star hotels practically for free from all the points he accumulated. He gets free airport lounge access where you get free booze, food and showers. When Covid hit the bay area, he flew to Hawaii where he still is now. He's renting a luxury high rise Airbnb for dirt cheap while his roommates are paying his mortgage back home.

He bought a house in San Francisco in 2012 and it's probably worth double or triple by now. His first company was bought out and he got laid off and he got like a year worth of severance pay. He didn't plan on finding another job right away, but a company was in need and he was working again within 3 weeks. He wasn't even actively looking for work, he was just gonna chill for a few months. So he was basically getting double pay during that time due to the severance.

Before Covid, he had the option to work in the office if he wanted to. He ran to work and ran home, no car needed. Their bathrooms had showers so he could be clean and change before work. They were offered free gourmet breakfast and lunch everyday. He has a typical mon-fri bank schedule, no call no weekends no holidays.

He's an active marathon runner and has done several ultra marathons too. He's qualified for Boston by having a fast time, not thru a charity group. I don't know any pharmacists who have that much free time. He's the healthiest guy in his mid 30s that I know.

He made 150k in 2018 (more now) with consistent raises (real raises, not cost of living raises), bonuses and stock options. One year I told him I got a 3% raise and he laughed, saying "that only covers inflation".

EE is a completely different field. The one EE I know often has to work late, so yeah that field probably isn't fun.
Not sure if your friend is in the field of a unicorn job. Just like some of the pharmacist here their life is probably awesome too. But majority of software engineer I know were so stressed out. There’s this one dude on YouTube who works for Facebook, pretty high up too got laid off too. Yes they do still get a lot more money than us, maybe still better than being a pharmacist. But also heard some of them commit suicide Bc they can’t meet their performance.

This is so true, my spouse has same perks. I wish I worked in tech lol

Not sure if your friend is in the field of a unicorn job. Just like some of the pharmacist here their life is probably awesome too. But majority of software engineer I know were so stressed out. There’s this one dude on YouTube who works for Facebook, pretty high up too got laid off too. Yes they do still get a lot more money than us, maybe still better than being a pharmacist. But also heard some of them commit suicide Bc they can’t meet their performance.

He worked for EMC then Dell. I think those are fairly common jobs?

For anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in CS who doesn't want to go back to school, there are a few companies out there (FDM Group, Genesis10) that will pay you to complete their bootcamp program in exchange for you working for one of their clients (mostly fintech companies) for two years afterwards for a reduced salary. The reduced salary part sucks but it's a guaranteed software engineering job and experience.

For anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in CS who doesn't want to go back to school, there are a few companies out there (FDM Group, Genesis10) that will pay you to complete their bootcamp program in exchange for you working for one of their clients (mostly fintech companies) for two years afterwards for a reduced salary. The reduced salary part sucks but it's a guaranteed software engineering job and experience.
working 2 years for free then Reduced salary??? I am Interested in cyber security and have friend in it who told me I can do some courses and get started on it.

working 2 years for free then Reduced salary??? I am Interested in cyber security and have friend in it who told me I can do some courses and get started on it.

No, you do a 3-4 month-long bootcamp program that they pay you to complete (only around $15/hr, but it's still a lot better than having to pay FOR the program), and then the company places you in a software engineering job at one of the companies they're affiliated with. You actually do get paid during the 2 years you have to work for them, but it's at a reduced salary.

So for example, you might only make $60k/yr instead of the usual $80k/yr you'd start off making if you were working directly for the company you're placed at. That's how the bootcamp company makes their money - they essentially skim off the tops of their employees' salaries.

But again, the upside is getting free CS training, being placed immediately in a software engineer position at a large fintech company, and getting two years of paid experience to put on your resume.

If I had known an opportunity like that existed back in 2016 (and if I'd also had the foresight to know that pharmacy would've ended up being a huge mistake for me), I could've saved myself from going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt (not to mention wasting 4 yrs of my life) and actually gotten PAID to spend 2 years training + working as a software engineer. If I had gone that route, I would've gained an additional 2 yrs of software engineering work experience by now (I.e., 2 yrs in the program, then another 2 yrs working directly for a company).

No, you do a 3-4 month-long bootcamp program that they pay you to complete (only around $15/hr, but it's still a lot better than having to pay FOR the program), and then the company places you in a software engineering job at one of the companies they're affiliated with. You actually do get paid during the 2 years you have to work for them, but it's at a reduced salary.

So for example, you might only make $60k/yr instead of the usual $80k/yr you'd start off making if you were working directly for the company you're placed at. That's how the bootcamp company makes their money - they essentially skim off the tops of their employees' salaries.

But again, the upside is getting free CS training, being placed immediately in a software engineer position at a large fintech company, and getting two years of paid experience to put on your resume.

If I had known an opportunity like that existed back in 2016 (and if I'd also had the foresight to know that pharmacy would've ended up being a huge mistake for me), I could've saved myself from going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt (not to mention wasting 4 yrs of my life) and actually gotten PAID to spend 2 years training + working as a software engineer. If I had gone that route, I would've gained an additional 2 yrs of software engineering work experience by now (I.e., 2 yrs in the program, then another 2 yrs working directly for a company).
Makes sense. What’s success rate of this boot camp? I have one upper classmate who finished her fellowship and enrolled in one of boot camp for data science becuase she doesn’t want to work as pharmacist. Let’s see how it works for her. She didn’t have to pay tuition, she will only pay if she gets job.

Makes sense. What’s success rate of this boot camp? I have one upper classmate who finished her fellowship and enrolled in one of boot camp for data science becuase she doesn’t want to work as pharmacist. Let’s see how it works for her. She didn’t have to pay tuition, she will only pay if she gets job.

AFAIK, these companies' graduates tend to do really well since they end up finishing the programs with two years of actual paid work experience as software engineers at large companies. I think the fact that they get this experience is what increases their likelihood of success.

I'm actually not really familiar with data science bootcamp outcomes, so it will be interesting to hear about how your friend fares in the job market upon graduation.

Can you PM more info?

sounds almost too good to be true. But thank you for posting this, gonna check it out... looking at FDMs website rn

current gig isnt going well, and Im pretty much done

LoL Alex Barker. Don't feed the bear...

I would never, but since so many people hate their profession I figure have them look at different resources. Is Alex Barker (happy pharmacist) a con artist or just not helpful in general? Maybe I should have sent a link to the angry pharmacist instead

I would never, but since so many people hate their profession I figure have them look at different resources. Is Alex Barker (happy pharmacist) a con artist or just not helpful in general? Maybe I should have sent a link to the angry pharmacist instead
He's literally a disgruntled retail pharmacist who "got out" by starting a predatory career coaching service to help others pivot. Problem is, he's never worked anywhere else so he has no credibility when it comes to, for example, giving advice on what hospital employers are looking for. But he's making a fortune because the reality of this profession is that it doesn't matter if you're an idiot, it just matters if others are even more of an idiot than you are and those people are the exact clientele that he is profiting off of (and it gets better for him each year due to declining quality of grads). Heck, he's hired a team of pharmacists to do his bidding now. How anyone thinks this is a dignified "career" is beyond me. At least professors contribute something to the system -- career coaches? Nothing.

• Angry
He's literally a disgruntled retail pharmacist who "got out" by starting a predatory career coaching service to help others pivot. Problem is, he's never worked anywhere else so he has no credibility when it comes to, for example, giving advice on what hospital employers are looking for. But he's making a fortune because the reality of this profession is that it doesn't matter if you're an idiot, it just matters if others are even more of an idiot than you are and those people are the exact clientele that he is profiting off of (and it gets better for him each year due to declining quality of grads). Heck, he's hired a team of pharmacists to do his bidding now. How anyone thinks this is a dignified "career" is beyond me. At least professors contribute something to the system -- career coaches? Nothing.

Wow, so he is basically a run down version of pharmacy school recruiters!? Literally telling you there is a way to success but ultimately is in it for the money with no regard for if any of his customers are successful. Is there no end to this?

Wow, so he is basically a run down version of pharmacy school recruiters!? Literally telling you there is a way to success but ultimately is in it for the money with no regard for if any of his customers are successful. Is there no end to this?
I mean, this is no different than any other pyramid scheme, get-rich-quick scheme or what have you. The key to their success is desperation -- which a LOT of unemployed or underemployed pharmacists have -- that causes people to do irrational things such as paying hundreds of dollars for a coaching service to fix your CV or give you generic advice on how to interview better when you can simply look these things up online for free if you have any self-awareness at all. If the field weren't saturated then Alex Barker & co. would be out of business so he is in fact, just like a pharmacy school professor, someone who RELIES on there being 15,000+ new grads each year to still have a job.

What areas of CS are most healthcare providers looking to transfer into? It seems almost all areas of CS outside of Data Science and research require some knowledge of Web Dev