1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Masters Degree

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by UTVol, Dec 3, 2008.

1. UTVol

Pre-Dental
    So I'm new and was looking for advice...

I am a first year grad student at The University of Tennessee-Knoxville. I received my B.S. in Chemistry last year and was turned down for acceptance into dental school, prior to graduation (3.4 GPA, 18 DAT). So I decided to get my M.S. in organic chemistry and go on from there.

I guess my question is, will a masters degree in organic boost my application enough to get into dental school? How much will my grad school GPA be weighted against my undergrad GPA?

THANKS!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nodoubt

nodoubt ...on my journey
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I wonder the same thing. When I spoke to a few people in admissions expressing my interest from various schools, they always say "Well, we look more at your undergraduate career vs. your graduate" I think that's b.s. though because when it comes down to it I'm sure it accounts for something.

4. wu8313

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I hope this will give hope to those that didn't get that certain phone call or letter this year. I'll make this as short as possible. I am currently working on my Master's in Food Science at the University of Florida. It is my 3rd time applying and finally got accepted this year at UF this past Monday. My story goes something like this:

4th year (undergrad): Applied with a 3.2 GPA and a 17 AA DAT score. Applied to 6 schools...Result= Denied at all of them

5th year (undergrad): Stayed a 5th year in undergrad and tried to apply again hoping to get it with what I got and some extra classes. Applied with a 3.1 GPA and a 18 AA DAT. Applied to 16 schools....Result= Denied at all of them

I then took a year off to re-evaluate myself and what I wanted to do. I was a wreck because one rejection was bad enough, but a 2nd year of rejection? It did damage to my confidence. I believe that one of the worst feelings a person can have is to wake up in the morning and not know where your future lies. So I began looking into podiatry and optometry but the more I tried looking into different fields, the more I found myself volunteering in dental clinics. I talked to the schools and they recommended a Master's program with thesis to show my proficiency in class. I did what they asked and am working on my Master's degree in Food Science with a research project in the dental school.

Now this year: Grad school- Applied to too many schools to count...ALOT. Did well in my first year of grad school and got good grades. GPA= 3.65. Took my DAT for the 3rd time and got a 19 AA. Continued my research project. Result= Accepted to UF class of 2013!!!!!!

Take it from the guy who is in crazy debt and knows how it feels to be rejected....twice. Trust me, this feeling of rejection sucks but YOU can make it go away. Just dig deep and believe that if you work hard, it'll happen. If you want it, be persistent. Don't give up. But you know what, it all paid off when I got that phone call. I wish you all the best and please dont stop following your dreams...because I didn't. Good luck!

#3 wu8313, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. pbrooks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I will have a MSc next year, and i think that it makes you stand out when you apply. I think it got me some great interviews (check out my predents) but after that I dont think it accounts for much, just gives you a foot in the door

6. lhtran07

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UTVol with your 3.4gpa and 18 DAT, I'm surprised you didn't get in last year. I called and asked UT-Memphis about the stats for accepted students last year and they said average is 3.4 and 18 DAT.

Did you get an interview invite or did they just outright send you a rejection letter? Maybe you applied late. I would've just re-applied this year instead of start grad school.

7. shindrome

shindrome Member
    7+ Year Member

i got rejected twice as well and finally made it the third attempt. i finished my masters program with a 4.0 gpa. what adcoms are saying is not entirely true because having that much of a contrast in grades does make you stand out.

8. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Having a friggin masters should be enough to make anyone stand above the rest. Don't believe the hype. Master's =more mature educational grasp=more dedication=dental school likey

9. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    GPA 3.4 should be enough as long as you can get AA 20+ DAT with no sections below 19. Then I would say masters not required. AA 18 just doesn't cut it.

10. UTVol

Pre-Dental
    lhtran07, the application was a little late but nothing to drastic. I'm also not a Tennessee resident so I think that was a factor.

My first semester graduate GPA will probably be a 4.0, so I hope that helps. Also, should I take the DAT's and apply in the summer before next year like undergrad or wait longer? And how will my research (publications etc.) factor? (I doubt at all but I just wanted to see what you all thought.)

11. trukini

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    do the masters and get a good GPA, do research, secure good LOR, go for it.