Masters Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcashell_3

Reaction score
I graduated undergrad with a not so stunning GPA with dreams of attending dental school. I knew my 3.4 GPA would be an issue so I decided to apply to a Masters Program. I chose an MPH because I had professors who told me it would be a good idea and I felt I could do really well in this field. I have finished the application cycle and I am now getting acceptance letters. I now realize this masters program does not make me a competitive candidate for dental school because of the lack in science courses. Should I back out of the process and apply for a science based masters in the spring or do I have a chance of getting in with an MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, what makes you think a 3.4 is an issue? Are you trying for a specific school? What’s your sGPA?

My science GPA was only a 3.2. I thought a Masters in Public Health program would help and include some science based courses so I could bolster that but I am starting to understand that is not the case. I am scared to accept the MPH offers because I didn't pursue a science based major in undergrad but I completed all the neccessary pre-reqs for dental school. Will a MPH help at all or should I pursue a different Masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe a Masters in Biomedical Sciences degree would be much more beneficial. That's the path I took, and several of my interviewers this cycle brought it up and were impressed with my 3.9 GPA.

I have seen multiple threads stating to stay away from a MPH so I feel like I really messed up. I am not sure if I should deny the acceptances I have already recieved and re-apply to science based masters or go ahead with the MPH program I just got accepted into and hope for the best.

I have seen multiple threads stating to stay away from a MPH so I feel like I really messed up. I am not sure if I should deny the acceptances I have already recieved and re-apply to science based masters or go ahead with the MPH program I just got accepted into and hope for the best.
I wouldn't do a MPH, as it would be a waste of time and money for your purposes. Even a post bacc would be more beneficial

The Masters of Public Health programs I applied to is a concentration in Epidemiology if that would help at all?

The Masters of Public Health programs I applied to is a concentration in Epidemiology if that would help at all?
Prob not, adcoms really look for science heavy programs that most simulate that of dental school.

Your GPA isn't bad unless you're looking to apply to more competitive schools.

My science GPA was only a 3.2. I thought a Masters in Public Health program would help and include some science based courses so I could bolster that but I am starting to understand that is not the case. I am scared to accept the MPH offers because I didn't pursue a science based major in undergrad but I completed all the neccessary pre-reqs for dental school. Will a MPH help at all or should I pursue a different Masters?

Yeah. I would evaluate the schools you want to go to. Your GPA can be competitive among quite a few dental schools. You save yourself a year and also the wasted money on a post-bac/masters.
But with your GPA it all depends on the rest of your application and personal statement. And you as a person. I had a 3.4 GPA/3.3 sGPA and got 11 interviews and 6 acceptances. So I try and share that GPA and DAT scores aren’t everything.

Have you taken the DAT?

I believe a Masters in Biomedical Sciences degree would be much more beneficial. That's the path I took, and several of my interviewers this cycle brought it up and were impressed with my 3.9 GPA.

Which program did you do?

MBS at University of Northern Colorado. There is an option to take it entirely online.
Oh sweet, thanks! Were adcoms pleased that you did the masters in general or moreso that you did it and had a 3.9 in it?

Oh sweet, thanks! Were adcoms pleased that you did the masters in general or moreso that you did it and had a 3.9 in it?
Definitely more with the GPA. Almost anyone can shell out the money for a degree; meanwhile, excelling at a graduate level course load is much more difficult.

I doubt having a MBS degree with like a 3.2 GPA will impress adcoms any more than if you didn't take it at all. So if you're going down this route, make sure to give it your all!

Definitely more with the GPA. Almost anyone can shell out the money for a degree; meanwhile, excelling at a graduate level course load is much more difficult.

I doubt having a MBS degree with like a 3.2 GPA will impress adcoms any more than if you didn't take it at all. So if you're going down this route, make sure to give it your all!
Thanks, I def will!

I graduated undergrad with a not so stunning GPA with dreams of attending dental school. I knew my 3.4 GPA would be an issue so I decided to apply to a Masters Program. I chose an MPH because I had professors who told me it would be a good idea and I felt I could do really well in this field. I have finished the application cycle and I am now getting acceptance letters. I now realize this masters program does not make me a competitive candidate for dental school because of the lack in science courses. Should I back out of the process and apply for a science based masters in the spring or do I have a chance of getting in with an MPH?
3.4 GPA by itself isn't a death sentence for your application; it depends on what the rest of your stats and application looks like. With a 20+ DAT, well-rounded application, and a large pool of schools, you have a decent chance.

That being said, if your goal is to ameliorate the lower than average GPA in order to show that you can withstand the rigor of dental school curricula, focus on programs that can show it the most.

What school did you go to for your masters program?

What school did you go to for your masters program?

MBS program at the University of Northern Colorado. What’s great was they have an option of being completely online which is what I did.

Hey,
I am currently applying to UNC MBS, do you mind sharing some info on the program? What were the online classes like? When did you apply and get accepted, I’m taking the MCAT in May and wont have the scores until June. From your experience, is that too late?

Thanks!
this is a predental forum...

i dont think you need to do a masters program. Save ur time, money and stress from a masters program. Just do very well on the DAT and youll be set.