Masters in Biology

Started by 50dent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

50dent

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(To Moderators: I posted this in the pre-dent forum already but I felt like the people in dental school already would have a better understanding of my situation)

I screwed up my sophmore year at a 4-year university and got on academic probation(gpa 1.66). I did well (3.6) at community college my freshman year and I am now retaking classes (bio111 (d) chem111(c) drama appreciation(f)) to bring my gpa back up to a "maybe ok with good DAT's and volunteer experiences" I think I can realistically bring it up to a 3.4 by the time I graduate. My question is..

If someone has a gpa barely above a 3.0, 20's on the dat, decent volunteer experience, and a Master's in Biology(my lab instructor says it's not very hard for master degree students to get good graduate gpa's).. What do you feel their chances of gaining admission to a state school is? Keep in mind I live in NC and UNC is getting 20 more seats next year (81 to 101) and East Carolina U will be opening up a school the the year I graduate from undergrad and taking 50 instate students a year.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of people with Masters degree?

Thanks for your time.
 
(To Moderators: I posted this in the pre-dent forum already but I felt like the people in dental school already would have a better understanding of my situation)

I screwed up my sophmore year at a 4-year university and got on academic probation(gpa 1.66). I did well (3.6) at community college my freshman year and I am now retaking classes (bio111 (d) chem111(c) drama appreciation(f)) to bring my gpa back up to a "maybe ok with good DAT's and volunteer experiences" I think I can realistically bring it up to a 3.4 by the time I graduate. My question is..

If someone has a gpa barely above a 3.0, 20's on the dat, decent volunteer experience, and a Master's in Biology(my lab instructor says it's not very hard for master degree students to get good graduate gpa's).. What do you feel their chances of gaining admission to a state school is? Keep in mind I live in NC and UNC is getting 20 more seats next year (81 to 101) and East Carolina U will be opening up a school the the year I graduate from undergrad and taking 50 instate students a year.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of people with Masters degree?

Thanks for your time.

If you can bring your GPA up to 3.4 by the time you graduate thats fantastic. Schools definintly take into consideration students who make dramatic improvements in their GPA during their college years. If you are in state with a 3.4 GPA and 20's on the DAT you will be in good condition and if you add a master's degree you will be in great condition. A master's degree shows you can handle graduate level work and this in combination with a greatly improved GPA will show that you have matured since your bad semester. Stick to your plan and make sure you continue to do well in your classes and you will get in.