master's in community counseling questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to community counseling master's programs, which will allow me to be eligible to be licensed as an LPC upon graduation.

I have two questions:

1) I know that LCSWs get full insurance reimbursement when they are in private practice, but how do LPCs compare with this?

2) Once an LPC is fully licensed, and they want to do private practice, do they need to be supervised by a doctoral level provider?

Also, for those of you who have gone this path, how do you like it? What are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to get your LPC, you need supervision from someone who is not neccessarily from a doctoral supervisor, but someone who is a certified LPC supervisor.

After you've earned your LPC, you do not need supervision, but I believe you need to earn continuing education credits. You can check with state licensing board, since every state has different laws. Information on individual states is available at the NBCC website.