Masters/Interview dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agnathans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Currently, I am enrolled in a 1 year masters program. I have been offered an interview at my number 1 school, and I hope to be accepted on December 1st (of course this may not happen). When I applied through AADSAS I was in a rush to submit it early, and neglected to mention the masters program I am currently enrolled in. Therefore I was offered an interview without the dental school being aware of the program. Now the program is costing me quite a bit of money in student loans, and if admitted into the dental school before I complete my program, I have decided to leave my program in order to save money (roughly $30,000), as my ultimate goal is not to complete a masters, but to complete dental school. My dilemma is this: I believe that if I tell them at my interview that I am enrolled in a masters program, their decision on my admittance may be dependent on my future grades in the program, instead of what they are currently evaluating me on. I feel this may prolong the process and may result in my being waitlisted while they wait to see my grades from the program. Because of this I am inclined not to mention it, and instead only update my application during the November update for AADSAS. This being said, I also feel my taking a masters could reflect positively on me, and I feel I should mention it in the interview, I just don't want it to delay a possible acceptance. Please let me know your thoughts on this, and any insider information you may have.

-Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, if they know you are in a Masters program, almost all the dental school and past forum posts have said that dental schools expect you to FINISH your MASTERS PROGRAM before matriculating to dental school (even if your masters program will take 2 years). They strongly frown upon not finishing an existing program, even dropping out of it, and then going to dental school upon acceptance to dental school.

Furthermore since you are in a masters program you have to report it regardless since it counts as graduate studies, it is the same idea as if you have went to a community college for undergrad, transferred into university after 1 year, and neglect to mention your community college grades on AADSAS (AADSAS requires you to report ALL undergrad and ALL grad scores).

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping to hear but just wanted to give you an perspective

Hey All,

Currently, I am enrolled in a 1 year masters program. I have been offered an interview at my number 1 school, and I hope to be accepted on December 1st (of course this may not happen). When I applied through AADSAS I was in a rush to submit it early, and neglected to mention the masters program I am currently enrolled in. Therefore I was offered an interview without the dental school being aware of the program. Now the program is costing me quite a bit of money in student loans, and if admitted into the dental school before I complete my program, I have decided to leave my program in order to save money (roughly $30,000), as my ultimate goal is not to complete a masters, but to complete dental school. My dilemma is this: I believe that if I tell them at my interview that I am enrolled in a masters program, their decision on my admittance may be dependent on my future grades in the program, instead of what they are currently evaluating me on. I feel this may prolong the process and may result in my being waitlisted while they wait to see my grades from the program. Because of this I am inclined not to mention it, and instead only update my application during the November update for AADSAS. This being said, I also feel my taking a masters could reflect positively on me, and I feel I should mention it in the interview, I just don't want it to delay a possible acceptance. Please let me know your thoughts on this, and any insider information you may have.

-Dave
I am in concurrence with the poster above. I've heard applicants are expected to finish their respective programs before matriculation. Not sure the specifics of how it works though.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I understand this, I have heard of students being accepted into their school of choice and dropping out of their masters. While frowned upon, I assume it won't affect matriculation into a school once accepted?

I want to finish my program, don't get me wrong, however I am looking at it from a financial standpoint... 30-40 grand saved is 30-40 grand saved...

While I understand this, I have heard of students being accepted into their school of choice and dropping out of their masters. While frowned upon, I assume it won't affect matriculation into a school once accepted?

I want to finish my program, don't get me wrong, however I am looking at it from a financial standpoint... 30-40 grand saved is 30-40 grand saved...
You're definitely going to have to ask the school about this. Might be a school by school basis.

Wow, we are literally in the EXACT same situation and I have been thinking the same exact thoughts as you. My first and only interview is this upcoming saturday and I still have not figured out what to do. But I think I'm only going to mention the masters program if they ask what have I haven doing since I submitted my application. Which I'm pretty sure they will ask.

But on the bright side, you have to remember they chose you to interview for a reason. They saw something on your application that made them interested in you. If they were to find out that you were in a masters program working on making yourself a more competitive and stronger applicant, I feel as though that would only make them look more favorably upon you. It would show your passion and dedication for the field of dentistry. I feel like this would make them more likely to accept you. However I do understand your fear of being waitlisted as they might want to wait for grades. I feel the same exact way. Definitely a sticky situation :/

Reactions: 1 user
thanks TrueDent. I interviewed earlier this month and it was not brought up. I have another interview later this month. fingers crossed. I hope everything goes well for you! It is definitely a strange situation to be in.