Masters/Medical School Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crazy4clana

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which medical schools have the masters/medical school program that let's into their school if you pass the courses in the master's program?
 
Thanks! I'm having some difficulty navigating the site. How do I find which schools allow you to matriculate into their med schools if you pass the master's program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I'm having some difficulty navigating the site. How do I find which schools allow you to matriculate into their med schools if you pass the master's program?

I don't know about any programs that directly let you into their med school "...if you pass the master's program," but I do know of programs that guarantee interviews.
 
There is not a single SMP program at a med school that guarantees admission to that med school. I'm currently in an SMP, and when I was looking at all of them to see where to apply to, none of them offered a guarantee. However, Tufts and Loyola offer automatic interviews if you do well in their Masters programs (not just pass it). I believe those two (of the major SMPs) are the only ones who even do that. However, I would think, although it is not written anywhere, that many other SMP schools would give slightly more consideration for interviews to their own masters students, but that is pure speculation.
 
There is not a single SMP program at a med school that guarantees admission to that med school. I'm currently in an SMP, and when I was looking at all of them to see where to apply to, none of them offered a guarantee. However, Tufts and Loyola offer automatic interviews if you do well in their Masters programs (not just pass it). I believe those two (of the major SMPs) are the only ones who even do that. However, I would think, although it is not written anywhere, that many other SMP schools would give slightly more consideration for interviews to their own masters students, but that is pure speculation.

That is not true. RFU gives admission to it's masters students if they pass the medical courses.
 
It's very selective and expensive, not to mention that not a lot of people gain admission into the med school.
 
That is not true. RFU gives admission to it's masters students if they pass the medical courses.

I did say "major SMPs." It's debatable to consider RFU's masters program a major SMP (compared to G-town and Cincinnati's for example). There are like 30 similar programs around the country, but some are much more reputable than others. But if that is the case at RFU and you want to go to RFU med school, then go for it. I believe RFU's masters program wasn't even open for admission the last year or two...it certainly wasn't when I was looking for SMPs...the website for it was even taken down and it said it was no longer accepting applications. But it can't hurt to try if RFU is a top choice for you. Just consider my comment about reputations. Graduating from a top SMP...like G-town, might increase your chances globally compared to graduating from a smaller, lesser known SMP (like RFU's)...which MAY get you into RFU, but might not help as much anywhere else. Either way, RFU sounds like just what you were asking about, so go for it, and good luck!
 
What school is RFU? And does anyone know anything about Marshall University's masters program?
 
What school is RFU? And does anyone know anything about Marshall University's masters program?

RFU= Rosalind Franklin University (near Chicago)...formerly known as Finch School of Medicine. I don't know about Marshall's program, it wasn't one I looked into when I applied to SMPs, sorry. There are several SMP forums on SDN, check those out and post the same question there...you might even find one specifically for Marshall's