Masters of Science Degrees in Pharmacy w/o PhamD?

Started by sjinhan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sjinhan

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for you all. I have been having problem finding answers on my own so I am posting on this forum.

My situation is this. I was educated in South Korea and currently I am a certified Pharmacist there. However I completed the pharmacy program when the 5-6 year programs were not availiable. Since I did not finish the program until 2004 I was not grandfathered in for international pharmacists which would have allowed to me to just pass the certification tests and do the hours as needed in order to work here in the United States.

I moved to United States after I got married last year and I am trying to figure out what I can do with my degree in America. I guess if I want to continue my pharmacy career I have two choices.

1) Apply to PhamD program and redo all my curriculum over again.

2) Apply to a Masters of Science program for Pharmacy.

Since I am estimating that it would take me 4-5 years to do with the first option, I am leaning toward the second option.

Finally the question is, what type of jobs would I be able to get as a holder of a Masters of Science in Pharmacy degree but not a holder of a PhamD degree?

I would really appreciate any response to my question or just any general suggestions about how to continue my career here in the United States.

Thanks in advance.
 
There is no such thing in the US as a Master's in pharmacy. To be a pharmacist you need a PharmD. You can get a Master's in pharmaceutics or pharmacology, but those are research degrees, not practicioners' degrees (although there are some research opportunities with a PharmD+fellowship).
 
I got confused like you when I arrived to the US with my Master's degree that was an engineering degree too 😳At least that iswhat I was told back home.

It took me a while to understand that this is how it works in the US...
-Graduate schools give Master's/PhD degrees...whice involves research, thesis, dissertation... with this degree you work as a researcher in a company or a faculty memeber in Universities. Exp: Pharmacology, food science...etc

-Professional school teaches practical skills...You learn certain skills at school and you replicate them in real life. Professions like pharmacists, doctors, engineers...etc

My previous degree qualifies for both engineering skills and research. "stupid french system!!!" excuse my french🙂

I hope this helps!
 
your best bet is to ask the state board of pharmacy, of whatever state you are in, on their policy on foreign-born pharmacists. From there they will be able to tell you what your options are in order to get a license.