Masters Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been asked by a professor if I would be interested in doing a thesis with her this upcoming September.

I am in a bit of a dilemma because my overall GPA is ~3.19, sGPA ~3.15, and my nonsci= ~3.24. The last two years I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and the only reason my GPA isn't THAT high is because of some horrible grades in 1st and 2nd years.

I applied very early this year and I am studying for the American DAT now. I figure, in the time that I wait to hear from schools, I might as well consider taking this masters position. However, I am worried because it is in Applied Health Sciences (BSc) with research focused on Insulin and Diabietis. I would be taking two other courses/semester on the side ontop of the research. These courses would be considered science as they involve cell fuel metabolism and also diseases and their signal transduction pathways.

I am just worried whether or not I am making the correct decision here. The university is 5 minutes from my house and I would be funded for ~$15,000/year (practically all expenses paid!!). The thesis is two years in length, however, I am hoping that I will get acceptance into dental school this cycle. THis is only something to do in the meanwhile (TA'ing, getting some $, and also improving my GPA).

What do you think? Is this an option that sounds alright? I did my BSc Honours in Biological Sciences... so I should be alright with the course options offered in Health Sciences.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

ohh and also, can someone drop a masters at any time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I have been asked by a professor if I would be interested in doing a thesis with her this upcoming September.
I am in a bit of a dilemma because my overall GPA is ~3.19, sGPA ~3.15, and my nonsci= ~3.24. The last two years I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and the only reason my GPA isn't THAT high is because of some horrible grades in 1st and 2nd years.
Please help!

While you do not mention your field of study, the upward trend is certainly good. Without DAT scores, it may be difficult to tell which way the wind is likely to blow. A handicap that will likely affect the outcome of ds admission is that you fall in the category of foreign student. Until you purchase a copy of the 2008 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, you may want to check the posts relating to non U.S. citizens.

See a similar post
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6805951#post6805951

Last edited:
I looked into getting a masters degree last year. I learned that you can apply to graduate school for a non-degree seeking student. However you will only be able to take 12 credits and only for one semester. I got the idea that if you are working on a masters degree or a thesis that you pretty much have to stick it out and finish it. If not, the school and professor would be very upset with all the money and time they spent on you. Getting a masters degree could help you get into dental school but not as much as you might think. 2 years in graduate school with all A's would probably raise your GPA to around a 3.3, but for now i would focus on the DAT making up for your low GPA.