Masters or Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

What should I do. I got accepted at Mississippi College-MS in Biology-Medical Sciences, but I dont know if I should do that masters or if i should just enroll into a university in Texas like (UTD) and take upper levels as a non-degree seeking student.

I'm really confused becasue I'm a TX resident (Graduated from Texas A&M), and I dont want to be making the wrong decision in terms of MASTERS or POST-BACC.
IF ANYONE has any knowedlge or actually been through the same, please reply or message :)

I'm a PSYC major and My stats are: sGPA: 3.17, oGPA:3.35, nsciGPA-3.52
I took the DAT and got a 16 (I know this is bad so I'm retaking it this 1st week inAugust 2012)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe it depends on your GPA. If it's not too bad and you can raise it easily, do post-bac. If it's beyond repair and some extra classes won't nudge it, go masters.

I believe it depends on your GPA. If it's not too bad and you can raise it easily, do post-bac. If it's beyond repair and some extra classes won't nudge it, go masters.

Okay so my stats are: sGPA: 3.17, oGPA:3.35, nsciGPA-3.52
I took the DAT and got a 16 (I know this is bad so I'm retaking it this 1st week inAugust 2012)

What do you think??

Members don't see this ad :)
How many science classes have you taken? If you haven't taken many upper level bios yet I would do a post-bacc, if you have already taken most of them I would go for the masters. Your key will be doing better on the DAT however, you might get an acceptance as is if you can increase your DAT significantly.

How many science classes have you taken? If you haven't taken many upper level bios yet I would do a post-bacc, if you have already taken most of them I would go for the masters. Your key will be doing better on the DAT however, you might get an acceptance as is if you can increase your DAT significantly.

I'm a PSYC Major. I've taken all of the TX Dental prereqs along with Microbiology, Bio of Psyc Disorders, Genetics, and Biochemistry. (So total of 4 extras)
What do you think is this enough? :oops:

Im stuck btwn a Masters or just doing more upperlevels as a nondegree seeking student.

So lets just say I get 20+ on the DATS will this be good to go along with my current stats of sGPA-3.17, oGPA-3.35?

I'm a PSYC Major. I've taken all of the TX Dental prereqs along with Microbiology, Bio of Psyc Disorders, Genetics, and Biochemistry. (So total of 4 extras)
What do you think is this enough? :oops:

Im stuck btwn a Masters or just doing more upperlevels as a nondegree seeking student.

So lets just say I get 20+ on the DATS will this be good to go along with my current stats of sGPA-3.17, oGPA-3.35?

I think you have enough classes to go either way and I assume a post-bacc is way cheaper. Wait for some more advice from people, but I believe you could increase your sGPA with a year of 4.0 post-bacc to a point where it would be OK.

As for the DAT, if you got a 20 with your current GPA I think you would still be a bit of a long shot, but it is for sure possible you would get in somewhere. Every extra point you get will be beneficial for sure.

Good luck!

Thanks so much sacapuntas! I think I'm swayed towards post-bacc, but i'll keep checking to see what others think

From what I hear masters is always the better option. At the end of the day you are coming in with a higher degree vs. just taking classes. With that said I understand the main goal is to raise the GPA, but most adcoms will tell you that they prefer a masters. Your grades are decently high though, this is a tough call.

See if you can set up a meeting with a couple of dental schools ASAP and ask their opinion.

Look up the Texas residency requirements for dental through TMDSAS before you decide. I know someone who no longer qualified to be a dependent on their parents taxes and couldn't get tx resident status through them AND lost their own personal tx resident status by moving to MS for school even though they'd lived in Texas their whole life.

Oh gosh, that sux! Good point you made though!! I def don't want to do that, thanks for the heads up, I never wouldve even thought about that!:)

From what I hear masters is always the better option. At the end of the day you are coming in with a higher degree vs. just taking classes. With that said I understand the main goal is to raise the GPA, but most adcoms will tell you that they prefer a masters. Your grades are decently high though, this is a tough call.

THANKS periopocket :D! I agree with you and youknowthedrill. I've tried calling and talking to TX Dental Schools and my advisor, but they're so dang vague about what I should do. They keep saying "both are good options, it just depends...." and then they go off tangent.

Periopocket-I get what youre saying about getting a higher degree, but then would those classes be integrated into my undergrad GPA? My main goal is to get into a Dental School for 2013 now, I just dont know which option schools would weigh in more on.

GAHHH this is so frustrating considering that registration is open now for both UTD-non-dgree seeking upper levs and MC's masters and school starts this August.

So your applying for 2013. A masters will have its own separate gpa. Your overall gpa's are most important. Im finishing an MS in 9 months total (started in january 2012 and finishing december 2012), so its doable. But my gpa was slightly lower than yours, and my DAT 20AA. I also got full ride so money wasn't an issue. Here's my final opinion for your situation: Only pursue a masters If you get below a 19 on your DAT. Otherwise I think you should just get that 20+ DAT and do a postbac, its much more practical in your scenario, as your gpa should still be flexible, and undergrad courses are less risky. (Do not lose your texas residency at any cost, I hear that state is gold for dentistry).

So your applying for 2013. A masters will have its own separate gpa. Your overall gpa's are most important. Im finishing an MS in 9 months total (started in january 2012 and finishing december 2012), so its doable. But my gpa was slightly lower than yours, and my DAT 20AA. I also got full ride so money wasn't an issue. Here's my final opinion for your situation: Only pursue a masters If you get below a 19 on your DAT. Otherwise I think you should just get that 20+ DAT and do a postbac, its much more practical in your scenario, as your gpa should still be flexible, and undergrad courses are less risky. (Do not lose your texas residency at any cost, I hear that state is gold for dentistry).

Okay thats nice to know! Sounds like you worked your butt off to do a MS that fast! I think I'm gonna spend this summer DESTROYING the DATs. And I'm going to try to get registered for those undergrad upper levels.

Periopocket youre amazing thanks for ALLL your help! :D
I love you SDNer's:)