Masters or

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molarina

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new, well at least to posting but have been a lurker for quite a while now. Anyways, just to give you some general background information about myself. I graduated with a B.A. in History in 05' and want to become a dentist godwilling someday (discovered my passion about a yr after I graduated, which was of course, teeth). Anyhow, I have only 3 science courses under my belt which were general physics, gen chemistry and gen biology under that degree.

I am currently attending a community college in where I am enrolled in the dental hygiene program here. I am passionate about dentistry and would love to go on further, however I realize that I do need more science classes. I took chem, organic chem, and anatomy & physiology at the community college that I currently attend which were prerequisites needed to get into the dental hygiene program.

I do realize and understand that most dental schools may not accept community college pre-requisite coursework and so I am wondering would it be a better choice if I just did the science pre-requisite classes needed to get into dental school at a 4yr university. (If I did this, I would do it after I am done with the dental hygiene program and it would be another 2yrs for me to complete a B.S. as I am in the process of obtaining an A.A. in Dental hygiene or should I just get a Masters in Bio or something.

I did not and could not apply to dental school afterwards since I hardly had no science classes and instead of taking the pre-requisites and then applying for dental school, I just decided to get do dental hygiene as I would be better prepared [financially, mentally, academically] for dental school. Besides I owe about $50,000 from undergrad and wanted to get that out of the way as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I think MOST dental schools accept CC coursework. However, if at all possible, it should be done at a 4-yr university.

Actually, I think MOST dental schools accept CC coursework. However, if at all possible, it should be done at a 4-yr university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly suggest doing most of your prereqs at a 4yr university as MOST dental schools will take CC course work, but you will get docked for it. Most dental schools rank your undergraduate university where you completed most of your credits and the stronger the school, the better it is for you. CC score a 0 on that scale. Hope this helps.

I too have heard that 4 yr college courses are better to take than CC. Dental schools do know that CC courses are generally much easier. Furthermore, I have a masters in bio, and you need quite a few science courses to get into a masters program. Most bio masters students majored in bio in undergrad...I know dental hyg. are in HIGH demand...just checking out monster.com. That aside, I do have one question. You say you found your passion about a year after you graduated (in '05) That would mean that you just discovered your passion for dentistry this past May. How did you stumble upon this profession. Why the drastic change just 6 months ago? History is FAR from dentistry..which is cool. I'm just curious bc it seems like a huge sudden change of interest. It's none of my business, I just thought maybe you had a good story :)

my undergrad gpa is around a 3.1, so i started my ma in biology, do dentistry sschools like that???????

I too have heard that 4 yr college courses are better to take than CC. Dental schools do know that CC courses are generally much easier. Furthermore, I have a masters in bio, and you need quite a few science courses to get into a masters program. Most bio masters students majored in bio in undergrad...I know dental hyg. are in HIGH demand...just checking out monster.com. That aside, I do have one question. You say you found your passion about a year after you graduated (in '05) That would mean that you just discovered your passion for dentistry this past May. How did you stumble upon this profession. Why the drastic change just 6 months ago? History is FAR from dentistry..which is cool. I'm just curious bc it seems like a huge sudden change of interest. It's none of my business, I just thought maybe you had a good story :)

Hey SugarNAcl,

Yeah , I know it is such a drastic change to go from history to Dentistry but I never believed in myself since I generally am not a science or math person so I didn't think that I could make it in dental school.

Being in this dental hygiene program is ridiculouly grueling but yet it has given me the confidence to know that if I can do this then I can surely do dentistry........and why not go further anyway.

I have always wanted to have a career that was flexible and one that I love and dentistry offers both. Well lets just say I am passionate about dentistry. I want to help others achieve their dream smile.