Masters program for PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Shaikh

Shaikh
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to apply to a PA school....can you just take the pre-reqs at a community college? or do you have to take them at a university as a grad student or do post-bacc?
thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ms. Shaikh said:
If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to apply to a PA school....can you just take the pre-reqs at a community college? or do you have to take them at a university as a grad student or do post-bacc?

I suspect that most programs would prefer pre-reqs taken at a university, but who knows. Try calling the schools that you are interested in and ask them! They may be understanding of your situation. Some community colleges may not offer the courses that you need anyway. I don't think their is any need to do a post-bacc if PA school is your goal. Good luck, L.

Ms. Shaikh said:
Community college is fine, just get a's and b's...a c from a community college is a big downer....good luck-e

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if PA programs take out of state applicants? I'm in CT and there is only one that I know of. Also, most PA schools want 1000-2000hr of experience in the health field for admission. I was a dental assistant for 3 yrs and will soon start working as a mental health worker. Would that count? or must I work as a medical assistant or something? :confused:

Ms. Shaikh said:
Do you know of if PA programs take out of school applicants? I'm in CT and there is only one that I know of. Also, most PA schools want 1000-2000hr of experience in the health field for admission. I was a dental assistant for 3 yrs and will soon start working as a mental health worker. Would that count? or must I work as a medical assistant or something? :confused:

YOUR EXPERIENCE SHOULD COUNT AS IT IS DIRECT PATIENT CONTACT CLINICAL EXPERIENCE.. AND YES, MOST PA PROGRAMS TAKE FOLKS YEARS OUT OF SCHOOL. SEE WWW.AAPA.ORG FOR MORE INFO ON THE PROFESSION AND WWW.PHYSICIANASSOCIATE.COM FOR A PA SPECIFIC FORUM SIMILAR TO THIS ONE.

I've looked into some PA programs and am trying to figure out which ones would work for me. Some start in June and others in Jan. I am starting my pre-reqs this may 2005 and will have them finished by may 2006. How should I go about applying? and when would i do this? I really don't want to have to wait a WHOLE yr before starting the program. The one I am looking into which starts is June has the October as their deadline. This means I'd have to apply Oct 2005 to start the one in June 2006. But my pre-reqs won't be completed at the time of my application. any advice? are their any programs that I don't know about that may be start at a different time? any info would be great. :rolleyes:

Ms. Shaikh said:
Do you know if PA programs take out of state applicants? I'm in CT and there is only one that I know of. Also, most PA schools want 1000-2000hr of experience in the health field for admission. I was a dental assistant for 3 yrs and will soon start working as a mental health worker. Would that count? or must I work as a medical assistant or something? :confused:

Try Gannon University in Erie, we had many out of state students. Dental Assistant is closer to medical field than I had at acceptance.

Some programs like to see an applicant's prerequisites completely done to even be considered for an interview, some don't. It all depends on which programs you look at. In my honest opinion, finish all your prereqs first and at the same time get the healthcare experience/shadowing, etc. Just doing all the paperwork for CASPA takes enough time itself. One year more isn't a long time to wait, you don't want to be burned out from taking prereqs before you even start PA school.

melcal said:
Some programs like to see an applicant's prerequisites completely done to even be considered for an interview, some don't. It all depends on which programs you look at. In my honest opinion, finish all your prereqs first and at the same time get the healthcare experience/shadowing, etc. Just doing all the paperwork for CASPA takes enough time itself. One year more isn't a long time to wait, you don't want to be burned out from taking prereqs before you even start PA school.

What are some good PA programs?