Master's Program/GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mferguson1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just decided a few months ago that I want to apply to dental school instead of going into the industry after I graduate (I'm a chemical engineering major). But my GPA was in sad shape prior to this semester, 3.14, and while I made A's in all my other courses, I just found out I made a D in Physics I (calc based). So my GPA actually will be going down or at least staying the same this semester, waiting on one grade at the moment. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but that's going to be my focus this summer. I feel confidet I can do well on it, but my GPA is really worrying me. Obviously I have to retake physics and at least make a C in it, but I'm not sure that will make enough of a difference overall. Also, the +/- scale has destroyed my BCP GPA, it's definitely below a 3.0. Anyways, that brings me to my question: I'm now considering doing a master's program to make up for my terrible undergrad GPA. I would get my master's in chemical engineering, would that even help my case since it's not really related to dentistry at all?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between post-bac and a master's? At my school it is fairly easy to get accepted into graduate school for chemical engineering and the idea of having another degree is very appealing since the program is only one year. It would also give me the opportunity to work on prestigious research projects (the one I want is stem cell cancer research). Would writing a thesis help my chances? Also, I just finished my sophomore year. It's really difficult to bring my GPA up in this major because my course load is so heavy, for instance this fall I have organic chemistry, cell biology, and 4 engineering classes. Do they consider your course load each semester as well? Thanks!