WAMC - Canadian, low gpa, master's

Started by mflurryy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mflurryy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: July 2025
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Graduate GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20, PAT: 23, RC: 19, Bio: 21, GC: 20
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended: UWO
Major: Chem
Minor: n/a
Graduate Degree: MA in Biological Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (2023 & 2024 cycles)
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Office (128 hrs)
Volunteering Experience: Math Tutor (50 hrs), Coach (20 hrs)
Employment: Mental health (480 hrs), Hospital (600 hrs), Geriatrics (260 hrs), Coach (175 hrs), Ref (150 hrs)
Research:
- 450 hours (graduate-level). Conducted Lit review, literature analysis, data extraction. No publications listed
- 30 hrs chromatography + mass spec chromatography (Analytical Chemistry Poster Presentation)
Other Extracurriculars: Semi-professional soccer involvement + leadership roles
LOR type and strength: 1xPI, 2xProf, 1xDentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Freshman-year Biology I grade = D
2.95 GPA (1st year) ---> upward trend to 3.85 (4th year) ----> 4.0 GPA Master's
School list: Canada (UofT, UWO, Dal, UBC), USA (UDM, uBuff), Ireland (UCC, TCD)
 
Last edited:
Date of submission: July 2025
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Graduate GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20, PAT: 23, RC: 19, Bio: 21, GC: 20
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended: UWO
Major: Chem
Minor: n/a
Graduate Degree: MA in Biological Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (2023 & 2024 cycles)
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Office (128 hrs)
Volunteering Experience: Math Tutor (50 hrs), Coach (20 hrs)
Employment: Mental health (480 hrs), Hospital (600 hrs), Geriatrics (260 hrs), Coach (175 hrs), Ref (150 hrs)
Research:
- 450 hours (graduate-level). Conducted Lit review, literature analysis, data extraction. No publications listed
- 30 hrs chromatography + mass spec chromatography (Analytical Chemistry Poster Presentation)
Other Extracurriculars: Semi-professional soccer involvement + leadership roles
LOR type and strength: 1xPI, 2xProf, 1xDentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Freshman-year Biology I grade = D
School list: Canada (UofT, UWO, Dal, UBC), USA (UDM, uBuff), Ireland (UCC, TCD)
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
 
Date of submission: July 2025
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Graduate GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20, PAT: 23, RC: 19, Bio: 21, GC: 20
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended: UWO
Major: Chem
Minor: n/a
Graduate Degree: MA in Biological Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (2023 & 2024 cycles)
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Office (128 hrs)
Volunteering Experience: Math Tutor (50 hrs), Coach (20 hrs)
Employment: Mental health (480 hrs), Hospital (600 hrs), Geriatrics (260 hrs), Coach (175 hrs), Ref (150 hrs)
Research:
- 450 hours (graduate-level). Conducted Lit review, literature analysis, data extraction. No publications listed
- 30 hrs chromatography + mass spec chromatography (Analytical Chemistry Poster Presentation)
Other Extracurriculars: Semi-professional soccer involvement + leadership roles
LOR type and strength: 1xPI, 2xProf, 1xDentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Freshman-year Biology I grade = D
School list: Canada (UofT, UWO, Dal, UBC), USA (UDM, uBuff), Ireland (UCC, TCD)
what schools did you apply to in the other 2 cycles and did you get any interviews (where)?
when did you complete your masters? what was it in? where?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what schools did you apply to in the other 2 cycles and did you get any interviews (where)?
when did you complete your masters? what was it in? where?
I have been applying to the same schools every cycle. The only new schools are Ireland! And I havent got any interviews in any of the cycles ;(. I completed my Master's in Biological Sciences at UB Sep 2024-June 2025. I took dental related courses and research as well. So I think the Master's really improved my chances.
 
I have been applying to the same schools every cycle. The only new schools are Ireland! And I havent got any interviews in any of the cycles ;(. I completed my Master's in Biological Sciences at UB Sep 2024-June 2025. I took dental related courses and research as well. So I think the Master's really improved my chances.
How did your master's GPA improve your chances if you have no interviews? Did you interview before? I don't understand the logic.
 
How did your master's GPA improve your chances if you have no interviews? Did you interview before? I don't understand the logic.
I haven’t received interviews yet, but my Master’s GPA is much stronger than my undergrad GPA, and I know that academically I’m in a much better position than in previous cycles. I meant that the Master’s should improve my chances going forward because it shows an upward trend, stronger science coursework, and research experience.
 
I haven’t received interviews yet, but my Master’s GPA is much stronger than my undergrad GPA, and I know that academically I’m in a much better position than in previous cycles. I meant that the Master’s should improve my chances going forward because it shows an upward trend, stronger science coursework, and research experience.
The problem is that reality isn't conforming with your hypothesis. Yes, your master's GPA should argue a stronger science foundation, but you haven't gotten interviews. Therefore, you are still lacking mission fit. I need a little more time to think about it, but you have much more experience in hospital settings than dental settings. That isn't a good impression.
 
Date of submission: July 2025
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Graduate GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20, PAT: 23, RC: 19, Bio: 21, GC: 20
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended: UWO
Major: Chem
Minor: n/a
Graduate Degree: MA in Biological Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (2023 & 2024 cycles)
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Office (128 hrs)
Volunteering Experience: Math Tutor (50 hrs), Coach (20 hrs)
Employment: Mental health (480 hrs), Hospital (600 hrs), Geriatrics (260 hrs), Coach (175 hrs), Ref (150 hrs)
Research:
- 450 hours (graduate-level). Conducted Lit review, literature analysis, data extraction. No publications listed
- 30 hrs chromatography + mass spec chromatography (Analytical Chemistry Poster Presentation)
Other Extracurriculars: Semi-professional soccer involvement + leadership roles
LOR type and strength: 1xPI, 2xProf, 1xDentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Freshman-year Biology I grade = D
2.95 GPA (1st year) ---> upward trend to 3.85 (4th year) ----> 4.0 GPA Master's
School list: Canada (UofT, UWO, Dal, UBC), USA (UDM, uBuff), Ireland (UCC, TCD)
Make sure these schools do not have minimum grade requirements for prereqs. I have had friends retake courses as a result.


From Detroit Mercy's website. "Grades of C or higher are expected in prerequisite courses; however, high B grades or higher are truly more competitive."
 
I have been applying to the same schools every cycle. The only new schools are Ireland! And I havent got any interviews in any of the cycles ;(. I completed my Master's in Biological Sciences at UB Sep 2024-June 2025. I took dental related courses and research as well. So I think the Master's really improved my chances.
Have you asked the US/Canadian schools if your application gets downgraded/denied if you applied to them 3 or more times? (For example, UMN will not consider your app after a 3rd consecutive application, though they could reconsider after a 1-cycle break.)

 
The problem is that reality isn't conforming with your hypothesis. Yes, your master's GPA should argue a stronger science foundation, but you haven't gotten interviews. Therefore, you are still lacking mission fit. I need a little more time to think about it, but you have much more experience in hospital settings than dental settings. That isn't a good impression.

Thank you for the honest feedback. I agree that my application needs to show mission fit more clearly, and part of the challenge is that most of mywork has been in hospital settings even though I’ve also spent meaningful time in dental environments. I volunteered and shadowed at Dental clinic and I’ve worked with a wide mix of people in the community, from youth athletes to seniors and medically complex patients. I also feel that a big part of my mission fit comes from my own personal dental challenges, which I talk about in my personal statement, because those experiences really shaped why I want to pursue dentistry. I’m hoping that by highlighting these elements more clearly, along with my academic improvement and my research in the, I can present a stronger and more accurate picture of my fit. What would you recommend I improve
Have you asked the US/Canadian schools if your application gets downgraded/denied if you applied to them 3 or more times? (For example, UMN will not consider your app after a 3rd consecutive application, though they could reconsider after a 1-cycle break.)

I have applied to UDM and UB 3 times now and 2nd time for Canadian schools (skipped last year). I wasn’t aware that some programs have policies about limiting consecutive applications, so this is definitely something I should look into.