Masters Program Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDude99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently trying to figure out what to do for a masters program . I graduated with a bachelor's in biology and a minor in chemistry back in May and decided to take the year off. I took the DAT and applied to dental school, but did not get in. I'm currently working and studying for the DAT, but I do not want to take another year off. Also, my undergraduate GPA (3.3) is not that desirable for a lot of dental schools, and I've read that getting my masters can increase my chances of getting into dental school. I'm wanting to do a non thesis masters program, preferably not too far from North Carolina. I also would like to know if a masters in physiology or nutrition would be good ideas if I'm wanting to get into dental school. I found a program at NC State that looks good. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

closest ones I can think of are MBS - Rutgers University and VCU CERT, which I'm currently enrolled in.
just for your reference:
NYU - oral biology
BU - MS in oral health sciences
Tufts - Master's in Biomedical Science

p.s. I realized since your gpa from undergrad is 3.3, which isnt TERRIBLE, I think you should also consider going back to your undergrad and do informal post-bacc, taking upper level biology courses for at least 2 semesters and make A's. It is much cheaper that way.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend Barry BMS. The program has linked to several dental schools such as nova, tufts, indiana, etc. The curriculum is the mock first year of nova d1 program. (Histo and neuro courses are same materials in nova dental) I was accepted to tufts mbs and cwru medical phys. I chose barry bms since the housing is cheaper than boston and 10 mins from beach. Also, this is non thesis masters. Tufts wanted me to do thesis during the spring semester to graduate in a year. You can study, work out and get tanned in the sunshine state. For further details, private messeage me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're better off doing what sexylife suggested. I am currently enrolled in a Masters program in biomedical sciences. Some of my classmates have decent GPAs (3.3-3.4) but ****ty DAT scores. However, someone told them to do a masters program and they are getting destroyed (below 3.0). Now they are ****ed since they already completed 2 quarters, and will have the grades on AADSAS. I guess they're ok if they don't report it but they are SOL with the university we are in now.

If you ace the DAT (22+ AA/TS), you have a really good chance.

Sadly, I don't think my college offers post-bacc opportunities. If they do, I'm unaware of it and don't know of anyone who has done such at that school. Because it's a small, private college that's only in its 6th year of being a 4 year school, they don't have opportunities like that available. So for now, it seems that a masters program is my only option

I would do a post bacc instead. I don't think you would need too many credits to raise your GPA to something a little higher. Use a GPA calculator and play around with it to see!

I recommend Barry BMS. The program has linked to several dental schools such as nova, tufts, indiana, etc. The curriculum is the mock first year of nova d1 program. (Histo and neuro courses are same materials in nova dental) I was accepted to tufts mbs and cwru medical phys. I chose barry bms since the housing is cheaper than boston and 10 mins from beach. Also, this is non thesis masters. Tufts wanted me to do thesis during the spring semester to graduate in a year. You can study, work out and get tanned in the sunshine state. For further details, private messeage me.
Thank you very much for all the info. Is it too late to apply for fall 16 admission for Barry Biomedical masters? and what are they looking for? I have a non science bachelors degree 3.3sgpa 3.6 overall dat 19. And what do they care the most about giving an admission?

Thank you very much for all the info. Is it too late to apply for fall 16 admission for Barry Biomedical masters? and what are they looking for? I have a non science bachelors degree 3.3sgpa 3.6 overall dat 19. And what do they care the most about giving an admission?
The deadline is by june 1st, so apply immediately whenever you decide to do the masters. The huge selection factor is how you really want to be a dentist through the application essay. I have seen many people from my cohort and other semesters accepted with 16 or 18 DAT and under gpa 3.0. Hope this helps!

Midwestern University has a 9 month non-thesis Master of Arts in Biomedical Science.
It's also one of the only masters programs that GUARANTEES an interview at TWO dental schools (their AZ and IL campus) if you get good grades and a high enough DAT score. I did the program and it was very helpful. (Just my opinion but nearly every pre-dental student in my year got accepted to a dental school.)

More info:
https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/az_master_of_arts_in_biomedical_sciences.html
https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/il_master_of_arts_in_biomedical_sciences.html

closest ones I can think of are MBS - Rutgers University and VCU CERT, which I'm currently enrolled in.
just for your reference:
NYU - oral biology
BU - MS in oral health sciences
Tufts - Master's in Biomedical Science

p.s. I realized since your gpa from undergrad is 3.3, which isnt TERRIBLE, I think you should also consider going back to your undergrad and do informal post-bacc, taking upper level biology courses for at least 2 semesters and make A's. It is much cheaper that way.

this really. Unless you run out of classes to take, this will not only look good, it will boost your undergrad GPA, which SMP and masters won't do.

Lincoln Memorial University has a MS Anatomical Sciences and MS Biomedical Professions. These two programs are apart of a pipeline program offered for LMU DCOM. Therefore, I have been taking classes with first year med students. You have access to courses such as ethics/advanced biochem/advanced physiology/advanced genetics and cellular bio/embryology/medical neuroanatomy. You will also take a seven credit hour course in medical gross anatomy. Message me if you have any questions!

I received my MS from Georgetown, after undergrad, applied with a 3.49 (between undergrad and graduate). Program was nothing short of fantastic. The faculty help any way they can and truly want you to succeed. My DAT was a 19 AA, 20 PAT, 18 TS. I have received 7 interviews invites (declined 2 since I got into my number 1) and have received 4 acceptances. I did apply early and broadly, but a MS can be huge.

As wild as this sounds, there was not one school that asked: “Why do you want to be a dentist?” YET, every school inquired about my MS. The beauty of the MS is it gives you a huge leg-up because you are tackling graduate level science heavy courses, validating you will be able to handle the rigors of dental school.

Assuming you apply early, a 20+ may give you the option to attend dental school. However an MS may provide you the choice of where to attend.