Master's Program Possibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medasez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of doing a masters if I don't get in after my gap year. My stats/ECs aren't bad with the exception of my third MCAT being 513 (125 CARS). I'm dead set on medicine, however I wouldn't mind doing a masters for the knowledge and experience. That being, which masters program before med school do you think would be beneficial in what ways for future physicians to have? Although research based master's have nice stipends and possible pubs, I don't see it impactful in the long run if you change your mind on that research field. Same time for MPH/MBA/MBiotech, is that worth it getting before medical school, as it'll be a while till you use that type of knowledge?

For those that did do a masters before med, what motivated you to do one particularly? (besides getting into med school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am thinking of doing a masters if I don't get in after my gap year. My stats/ECs aren't bad with the exception of my third MCAT being 513 (125 CARS). I'm dead set on medicine, however I wouldn't mind doing a masters for the knowledge and experience. That being, which masters program before med school do you think would be beneficial in what ways for future physicians to have? Although research based master's have nice stipends and possible pubs, I don't see it impactful in the long run if you change your mind on that research field. Same time for MPH/MBA/MBiotech, is that worth it getting before medical school, as it'll be a while till you use that type of knowledge.

For those that did do a masters before med, what motivated you to do one particularly? (besides getting into med school)
No, not worth it unless it's an SMP. Master's = more time and more debt. They will not increase your competitiveness even if you get a 4.0. Also the master's degree is useless unless you actually do something with the degree.

Why do you want to do a master's as opposed to working/ volunteering? How's your gpa?

Reactions: 1 user
"Why do you want to do a master's as opposed to working/ volunteering? How's your gpa?"

My cGPA/sGPA is 3.94/3.93. I'm in Canada, so working with a BS is rather difficult in a related field; scribing does not exist here (with very few locations). I can't afford to volunteer for 2 years, plus I have more than 1000 hours of volunteering in many places during undergrad. I have 2000+ of hours of leadership and research on top of that.

No, not worth it unless it's an SMP. Master's = more time and more debt. They will not increase your competitiveness even if you get a 4.0. Also the master's degree is useless unless you actually do something with the degree.

Yea I've heard about from some people it's a waste of time and debt. Though what masters degrees can you do something with that will be highly beneficial in your path towards a future physician? Gap year is nice and chill but I won't have much to bring in for future potential, if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What about working as a research coordinator/ research assistant at a hospital/lab/industry? That's what my Canadian premed friends are doing for their gap years.

What about working as a research coordinator/ research assistant at a hospital/lab/industry? That's what my Canadian premed friends are doing for their gap years.

Been applying for 4 months, no dime, though I have a very extensive research experience. But still, although this would give me some money, I feel as if I won't get anything in the long run from a job compared to a masters.

Been applying for 4 months, no dime, though I have a very extensive research experience. But still, although this would give me some money, I feel as if I won't get anything in the long run from a job compared to a masters.
Yes, the masters would be good as a plan B in case u dont get into med school. Admissions wise, it won't help your odds of gaining an admission and would be costly in terms of time and money.

A Masters is useful if you need a fallback plan in case a med school acceptance never materializes; however, it should never be pursued to help purely with admissions. They are generally not given much weight for the purposes of admissions (apart from SMPs as bluepeony pointed out). You also have nothing to prove academically given your GPA.

From a practical standpoint, it makes more sense to get your MPH/MBA etc during or after your medical training. Many schools, residencies, and fellowships have opportunities in place for their trainees to pursue these at a significantly subsidized rate through scholarships, tuition reductions, and stipends. And given how often interests change, getting these degrees closer to when you're done with training will allow it to be more useful to your eventual career. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 users
Lol so overall I guess based on this conversation, premeds get a master's to secure a plan B, otherwise masters is not practically worth it to getting accepted to medical school or significant personal development (at this stage in life). Doing any professional masters before med school isn't worth the money and time right now. Interesting thought, never considered it that way.