Masters program w undergrad classes--what to do w/GPA calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublefloxx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently in a 'hard science' masters program at a school different from my UG institution. I know the conventional SDN wisdom is that MS programs that aren't SMPs are useless in terms of GPA repair (which wasn't my original motive in enrolling in the program anyways), but my program doesn't have the cakewalk, joke class curriculum that I've been led to believe is standard at many other programs; the majority of classes I have taken are upper-level undergrad courses in BCPM subjects, and I was the only grad student in almost all of them. I was wondering if there is a way for these to be included in my uGPA calculation when I eventually apply, or if by virtue of being a masters student they automatically become grad courses. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How graduate classes are considered for AMCAS depends on your enrollment and degree status. The AMCAS instruction manual outlines how to categorize classes. In particular take a look at the "Course Work" section on page 35 and "Unusual Circumstances" starting on page 37 of the AMCAS manual: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...c6de/2017_amcas_instruction_manual-_final.pdf to see if any of those situations cover you. If not, you can always call AMCAS for the official word on how your classes will be categorized.

For AACOMAS it doesn't matter, as there will be an undergraduate calculation of grades, graduate calculations, and then a science and cumulative GPA with them combined so it all helps.

Unfortunately, if they are counted toward a masters, they are considered graduate GPA.

Hi all,

I am currently in a 'hard science' masters program at a school different from my UG institution. I know the conventional SDN wisdom is that MS programs that aren't SMPs are useless in terms of GPA repair (which wasn't my original motive in enrolling in the program anyways), but my program doesn't have the cakewalk, joke class curriculum that I've been led to believe is standard at many other programs; the majority of classes I have taken are upper-level undergrad courses in BCPM subjects, and I was the only grad student in almost all of them. I was wondering if there is a way for these to be included in my uGPA calculation when I eventually apply, or if by virtue of being a masters student they automatically become grad courses. Thanks!

How do you know for sure that these classes aren't just normal? Def not going to impress any people if you're taking these so called hard classes and doing mediocre on them. If you actually do well on them, they will just say that they are typical classes and premeds are expected to do well on them.