Masters program with 2.96 gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearner02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2.96 gpa and am looking for masters programs to apply to. My plan is to do well in the masters program and then apply to medical school. However, as a back up plan, if I chose to not apply to medical school, I'd like to complete a phD and pursue a career in research.

With that in mind, I'd love suggestions for a masters program (most interested in physiology) that would consider my low, less than 3.0 gpa.

Other facts about me that might help with coming up with suggestions:
- Kinesiology major
- based in the Midwest
- worked in a research lab and did testings on professional athletes - 1 year
- interned in a cardiovascular institute this past summer - did stress tests, cardiac rehab, ekgs, etc
- interned at a PT clinic this past summer and did ultrasounds, thermotherapy, etc
- worked in an orthopedic research office for a year doing data entry - official position "student researcher"
- worked at a children's hospital doing data entry for 3 months - official position "student researcher"
- can get 3-4 letters of rec - from research prof, adviser, exercise physiologist I interned with, boss at research job
- taking GRE next month for the first time

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to medical school with a 2.9 of doesn't matter what masters you get - it won't do you many favors. Take a year of postbac courses and raise your gpa above 3 then take the MCAT. Goro has a sticky on this DO forum you should look at.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 2.9 with 150 credits when I decided to pursue medicine the beginning of my senior year. My senior year was a 3.7 GPA and my 30 credits of postbac was 3.95. Now I doubt my stats would have gotten me into any MD schools (I didn't even bother applying MD), but it did get me into DO. If you're looking for MD/PhD, you'll probably need to do what I did plus another year or a SMP. I know it seems impossible with a sub 3.0 (I know the feeling all too well) but if you put in a solid two years of coursework, you'll be ok.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey foreverlearner,

I got out of undergrad with a 2.7ish GPA and was told to do post grad. stuff but wanted a change, to see if I could handle hard courses so I did a masters in physiology and biophysics. It was grueling but rewarding as I buckled up and got a much better GPA. At the end I was offered a PhD which I eventually turned down and at that point I did a few more post. bacc classes (all doing better since I figured out how to school). got just above the GPA cutoff of 3.0 and got into some schools. (sitting in the Med. school library now showing off those awesome studying habits by posting on here haha). Choose your own path, but make sure you have a good plan and make sure it happens!

Reactions: 7 users
If you want to go to medical school with a 2.9 of doesn't matter what masters you get - it won't do you many favors. Take a year of postbac courses and raise your gpa above 3 then take the MCAT. Goro has a sticky on this DO forum you should look at.

If I do well in my masters, as in get higher than a 3.5, and then apply to medical school, you're saying that my 2.9 undergrad gpa will still hold me back?

Hey foreverlearner,

I got out of undergrad with a 2.7ish GPA and was told to do post grad. stuff but wanted a change, to see if I could handle hard courses so I did a masters in physiology and biophysics. It was grueling but rewarding as I buckled up and got a much better GPA. At the end I was offered a PhD which I eventually turned down and at that point I did a few more post. bacc classes (all doing better since I figured out how to school). got just above the GPA cutoff of 3.0 and got into some schools. (sitting in the Med. school library now showing off those awesome studying habits by posting on here haha). Choose your own path, but make sure you have a good plan and make sure it happens!
Haha thank you for your reply. That is comforting. I hope to be in the same position as you in the upcoming years! Goodluck in med school!

If I do well in my masters, as in get higher than a 3.5, and then apply to medical school, you're saying that my 2.9 undergrad gpa will still hold me back?
Yes, your first goal should be getting your GPA to at least a 3.0 and a masters will not do that for you, only a postbac.
Step 1 should always be to get above the screens, then step 2 is whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, your first goal should be getting your GPA to at least a 3.0 and a masters will not do that for you, only a postbac.
Step 1 should always be to get above the screens, then step 2 is whatever you want.
Then step 3, profit.

I was a Kin Major at a California State Uni. Got my degree, stayed as a "Post-Bacc" (only way they let me continue with reg student tutition), since I didn't want to do PT anymore and needed to complete pre-med reqs. GPA was low, and the extra year and a half boosted my GPA to only 2.99
USC accepted me into a Masters program. Finished 3.6. Took MCAT 3 times. First app cycle no interviews. Second cycle now and couple interviews.

The undergrad GPA will def be a stain. But you could only increase it an insignificant amount since you already have done 4 years I assume. I chose to focus on my MCAT, Master's GPA, E.C, and made sure I had incredible secondaries. I did definitely learn a lot from my first cycle.

Hi guys,

I have a 2.96 gpa and am looking for masters programs to apply to. My plan is to do well in the masters program and then apply to medical school. However, as a back up plan, if I chose to not apply to medical school, I'd like to complete a phD and pursue a career in research.

With that in mind, I'd love suggestions for a masters program (most interested in physiology) that would consider my low, less than 3.0 gpa.

Other facts about me that might help with coming up with suggestions:
- Kinesiology major
- based in the Midwest
- worked in a research lab and did testings on professional athletes - 1 year
- interned in a cardiovascular institute this past summer - did stress tests, cardiac rehab, ekgs, etc
- interned at a PT clinic this past summer and did ultrasounds, thermotherapy, etc
- worked in an orthopedic research office for a year doing data entry - official position "student researcher"
- worked at a children's hospital doing data entry for 3 months - official position "student researcher"
- can get 3-4 letters of rec - from research prof, adviser, exercise physiologist I interned with, boss at research job
- taking GRE next month for the first time

Thank you in advance.

I think you got some really good advice in this thread.

If I were you, I'd take credits at a community college or local school and boost your gpa over 3.0 a semester of 4.0 ought to do it.

I would then apply to either SMPs or a masters program. Which one is up to you. A lot of SMPs have linkage with a med school, so if you meet certain requirements, you start that following fall. On the other hands, the masters route Ives you something to fall back on if this doesn't work out. SMPs are high risk high reward, bad performance in one is often the end of people's pursuit of medical school.

You got a ways ahead of you but tons of people in your shoes did it and are med students/physicians. Don't let the hole you dug for yourself cloud your Vivian of what you want to achieve, you can do this.

Very helpful. Thank you!

Do you think going MD or DO route? If you are thinking going to med school why do you want to take GRE, instead study hard and take MCAT. Once you start Master program its very hard to study for MCAT even though Touro Nevada has built in MCAT with masters.
Also go with linkage program.
Good Luck.