Master's Programs - do they help get you in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
daelroy said:
Foot in mouth, follow your own advice. You decided to spend a year in postbac as insurance in case you didn't get in somewhere. Right, so you criticize the postbac yet you entered one as insurance because you were unsure you would get in with your MPH even after 19 interviews. In other words you valued a postbac as insurance because you were unsure about your admissions success. Then you took it to prepare yourself for MS1 classes. What's wrong, your MPH didn't accomplish that? LOL For as much crap as you spoke about the postbac, you decided to enter one at the last minute. That's like an aetheist demanding last rites. You keeping making your situation worse with every response. Keep digging. :thumbdown:

You dont follow any sense of logic. First you accuse me of not getting in any school after 19 interviews, which was wrong, then turn it around to make it seem like I wasnt sure I'd get in with 19 interviews. Second I never spoke poorly about post bacc MS programs. I said they were fine for CERTAIN people. Third, I dont know now ANYONE can be SURE about their chances. You're a fool if you think anything GUARANTEES admission. Are you psychic? How do you KNOW what I was thinking or why I did what I did? What is wrong with insurance? When did I criticize post baccs? Please find that thread. You're the only person on this thread putting down other degrees.

I dont even really know how to respond your illogical and non sensical replies. My record speaks for itself. I got in based on my MPH and not because of the Post Bacc. I obviously value the post bacc or I wouldnt have gone to the program (did I ever say they werent any good?). But the fact remains that it wasnt the post bacc that got me in. I dont know why its so hard for your to accept that. It's almost as if you have some kind of vendetta against MPH programs! Its just baffling!

"Discussing" this issue reminds of this quote:
Never argue with and idiot, he'll drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.

I'm glad your post bacc did for you what my MPH did for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don?t mean to fan the flames but Daelroy has made some excellent points. I don?t agree with his arrogance and I think this conversation would be more civil if all parties toned it down. I have an MPH and I agree and disagree with both parties. An adcom viewed me as a reapplicant because I applied to dental school during my second year in the MPH. I think it?s one thing if a person receives his MPH; works for several years in the field of public health and then has a change of heart by pursuing medicine/dentistry. I think a person who did this would be a big asset to any medical school because of his work experience following the MPH. But if you apply to medical school while you are currently in the program or immediately after you graduate, that would only convey to an adcom that you were not genuinely interested in your Masters, and used it for the purpose of gaining acceptance to medical school. With the postbac, I feel that it is more of a genuine process and conveys to an adcom that one?s goal is medicine and nothing else. I did two quarters of postbac because the admissions committee at my school recommended that I do one. Although I enjoyed my MPH more, the postbac was much tougher. There was much tedious memorization involved in my postbac. I think a Masters in Epidemiology can be quite difficult and conceivably more difficult than many MS/postbac. But I think it's fairly safe to say that most MPH degrees are not exclusively focused on epidemiology or entail the the same plan as a Masters in Epidemiology.

I think the lesson that should be learned from this debate is that admissions committees vary in their approach and philosophy toward accepting students. The best thing a student can do is develop a relationship with a member(s) of an adcom and asked them what they value the most. Guessing is a waste of time.

exmike said:
You dont follow any sense of logic. First you accuse me of not getting in any school after 19 interviews, which was wrong, then turn it around to make it seem like I wasnt sure I'd get in with 19 interviews. Second I never spoke poorly about post bacc MS programs. I said they were fine for CERTAIN people. Third, I dont know now ANYONE can be SURE about their chances. You're a fool if you think anything GUARANTEES admission. Are you psychic? How do you KNOW what I was thinking or why I did what I did? What is wrong with insurance? When did I criticize post baccs? Please find that thread. You're the only person on this thread putting down other degrees.

I dont even really know how to respond your illogical and non sensical replies. My record speaks for itself. I got in based on my MPH and not because of the Post Bacc. I obviously value the post bacc or I wouldnt have gone to the program (did I ever say they werent any good?). But the fact remains that it wasnt the post bacc that got me in. I dont know why its so hard for your to accept that. It's almost as if you have some kind of vendetta against MPH programs! Its just baffling!

Never argue with and idiot, he'll drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.

Waitasecond, you should be fair about this. You did tend to side with the MPH group without giving much credence to the postbac although you entered one as insurance. Your MPH degree got you into medical school but it didn't do anything for me. I wish I was as fortunate as you. Maybe I applied to the wrong schools. Oh well! Try to keep an open mind about this situation. Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school. Let's all relax. This is ridiculous that everyone is getting so pissy over this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
daelroy said:
Compare any MPH curriculum with that of an MS in chemistry or postbac focusing exclusive on medical school related courses and it's not even close. I'm Out

Dude you really need to chill out! I HAVE and MS in Chemistry and if you read my posts you'd see that I agree that for ME getting the MS was harder than the MPH courses I took.

You're so busy arguing that not only did you forget who was saying what, you dismissed the only person close to agreeing with you :confused:

exmike said:

I don't follow any sense of logic? Now that's funny. I'm not the one who entered a postbac as insurance after completing an MPH wiht 19 interviews. Now you are just squirming. You are simply being argumentative because you have been caught contradicting yourself. Insurance is fine but I think it is amusing how you chose a postbac as insurance, the very same thing you were belittling just pages ago. You must have felt strongly enough about a postbac to use it as insurance even with 19 interviews. It amazes how some people will go to any lengths to save face especially after they contradicted themselves so heavily both in words and actions. I don't know why you have such trouble acknowledging the value of a postbac program especially since you used it as insurance and a means of preparing yourself for medical school.

pathdr2b said:
Dude you really need to chill out! I HAVE and MS in Chemistry and if you read my posts you'd see that I agree that for ME getting the MS was harder than the MPH courses I took.

You're so busy arguing that not only did you forget who was saying what, you dismissed the only person close to agreeing with you :confused:

I was agreeing with you not contradicting you. Go back and read what I said. Give someone the benefit of the doubt before you accuse them of disagreeing with you.

Do you think I'm that stupid to put down the only person on here who has defended me to any degree. :) You are my man.

daelroy said:
Now you are just squirming. You are simply being argumentative because you have been caught contradicting yourself. Insurance is fine but I think it is amusing how you chose a postbac as insurance, the very same thing you were belittling just pages ago. You must have felt strongly enough about a postbac to use it as insurance even with 19 interviews. It amazes how some people will go to any lengths to save face especially after they contradicted themselves so heavily both in words and actions. I don't know why you have such trouble acknowledging the value of a postbac program especially since you used it as insurance and a means of preparing yourself for medical school.

Do you lack the intellectual capacity to comprehend sequence of events? Its not like I got 19 interviews and then said "uh oh, im not sure, i better go to a post bacc". Those two happened concurrently. I started the post-bacc before I got any interviews. I already decided that a post-bacc was in my best interests. I've said that multiple times now. Is that hard to comprehend? I feel like I'm talking to a monkey. Do I have to quote myself saying that Post baccs are useful in many situations? We both know I've said that before, but you're ignoring that fact attempting to make me look like I'm contradicting myself. Post baccs are great, but its not what got me in med schools. Just accept that. YES i did the post bacc b/c I thought it would help. Yes, post bacc will prepare me for med school, but NO it is not why I got in b/c I got in before I got a single grade from the program. Just accept that. Sheesh.

Its pretty obvious now that you're obfuscating the issue at hand in order to direct attention away from your completely illogical arguments. Out.

exmike said:
Do you lack the intellectual capacity to comprehend sequence of events? Its not like I got 19 interviews and then said "uh oh, im not sure, i better go to a post bacc". Those two happened concurrently. I started the post-bacc before I got any interviews. I already decided that a post-bacc was in my best interests. I've said that multiple times now. Is that hard to comprehend? I feel like I'm talking to a monkey. Do I have to quote myself saying that Post baccs are useful in many situations? We both know I've said that before, but you're ignoring that fact attempting to make me look like I'm contradicting myself. Post baccs are great, but its not what got me in med schools. Just accept that. YES i did the post bacc b/c I thought it would help. Yes, post bacc will prepare me for med school, but NO it is not why I got in b/c I got in before I got a single grade from the program. Just accept that. Sheesh.

Its pretty obvious now that you're obfuscating the issue at hand in order to direct attention away from your completely illogical arguments. Out.

Okay, let's examine this situation. You graduated from an MPH. You were unsure about your chances of being accepted to medical school so you enrolled in a postbac as insurance. But now that you got 19 interviews and multiple acceptances, you are suddently extolling the virtue of the MPH despite being unsure of it's success just months ealier. You were so unsure of it's success that you enrolled in a postbac in case you didn't get in anywhere, yet you have the nerve to belittle it just pages ago. It's amusing how you are suddently stating how valuable a postbac is now that I exposed you. Initially, you never spoke highly of the postbac. You are squiriming by trying to depict me as if I'm illogical. You contradicted yourself; I caught you doing it and now you are angry. I wouldn't expect anything less from a petty individual like youself.

daelroy said:
Okay, let's examine this situation. You graduated from an MPH. You were unsure about your chances of being accepted to medical school so you enrolled in a postbac as insurance. But now that you got 19 interviews and multiple acceptances, you are suddently extolling the virtue of the MPH despite being unsure of it's success just months ealier. You were so unsure of it's success that you enrolled in a postbac in case you didn't get in anywhere, yet you have the nerve to belittle it just pages ago. It's amusing how you are suddently stating how valuable a postbac is now that I exposed you. Initially, you never spoke highly of the postbac. You are squiriming by trying to depict me as if I'm illogical. You contradicted yourself; I caught you doing it and now you are angry. I wouldn't expect anything less from a petty individual like youself.

Please find the post where I belittled post bacc programs. Eat it.

How do I spell it out. My only point was that the MPH got me in med school, not my Post Bacc. This isnt about which one is better, its about what worked for me. But whats the point, you're just going to make some crap up anyways. :rolleyes:

exmike said:
Please find the post where I belittled post bacc programs. Eat it.

How do I spell it out. My only point was that the MPH got me in med school, not my Post Bacc. This isnt about which one is better, its about what worked for me. But whats the point, you're just going to make some crap up anyways. :rolleyes:

exmike said:
As with any program, caveat emptor. You can do a post bacc MS program and not get in med school as well and have useless degree. At least a MPH is worth something in the non-medical field. I know plenty of people that get rejected after postbacc MS programs. The Georgetown SMP only matriculates 60% after yr 1 and maybe 80% year 2 and tahts including offshore and DO programs, and that program has the highest success rate.

Thanks for playing Mike.

ps Do you have any stats to support your statement that Georgetwo SMP has the highest success rate of all postbac programs, or did you just conveniently assume that to make a point.

daelroy said:
Thanks for playing Mike.

ps Do you have any stats to support your statement that Georgetwo SMP has the highest success rate of all postbac programs, or did you just conveniently assume that to make a point.

All you showed was that I said MPH's are good b/c its an actual professional degree. I was pointing out one of the benefits of an MPH vs. a post bacc. A good thing about the MPH isnt a diss on the post bacc. Its a trade off between the two. I still dont get why you think I would diss a program I'm i and that I tell other people to do.

I dont know another program 85% placement rate. That was the main reason I chose GU for my post-bac MS. The GU program is usually looked upon as one of the best post-bacc MS programs, and I've told several of my friends to go. Certainly other ones have excellent track records such at the BU MMS program and the Drexel IMS/MMS program.

btw, some of us don't do it just to get into med school...some of us do it so that once we are OUT of med school we have a broader range of jobs to look into......but i don't think there is anything wrong with doing an MPH to prove to med schools that you can hack it...otherwise what would be the point of a postbacc? MPHs give you a broader view of healthcare, and so are valuable in their own right, but if they prove to adcoms that you can handle advanced coursework then why poo-poo it?
daelroy, what is your point? do you think an MPH is an easy degree, and as such should be looked down upon? is that all you're trying to say?

exmike said:
All you showed was that I said MPH's are good b/c its an actual professional degree. I was pointing out one of the benefits of an MPH vs. a post bacc. A good thing about the MPH isnt a diss on the post bacc. Its a trade off between the two. I still dont get why you think I would diss a program I'm i and that I tell other people to do.

I dont know another program 85% placement rate. That was the main reason I chose GU for my post-bac MS. The GU program is usually looked upon as one of the best post-bacc MS programs, and I've told several of my friends to go. Certainly other ones have excellent track records such at the BU MMS program and the Drexel IMS/MMS program.

Likely response. What's especially funny about that quote was how you referred to the GU program but failed to inform us that you were actually in it. That would have made you look really stupid considering you were belittling the postbac by using GU as an example of the very best program that still had a low acceptance rate. And all along, you were a member of that program. Go figure! You went on to further call postbac a useless degree etc.

GU has one of the best reputations but there are other programs with smaller classes and higher placement rates scattered all over the country.

Anyway, I don't see why this is such a difficult concept for you and foughtfyr to understand. An hard science post bacc, and an MS offer classes that are very representative of MS1 classes. Some programs actually place students in a few MS1 classes. If you are trying to prove to an adcom that you are capable of handling an MS1 load, then you need to take classes that are most representative of MS1 classes and curriculum. An MPH does not to do this. I'm not so naive to be unaware that many MPH graduates get acceptance into medical school. But if you are a candidate with a low GPA, you would be safe to enter an MS or postbac that resembles an MS1 curriculum as opposed to an MPH. I'm not saying you can't get in with an MPH but the odds are less in your favor when compared to a postbac. You know this which is why you enrolled in postbac as insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a rather heated thread. So, here is my situation, in case anyone cares (which they probably don't). I was rejected in 2003, so I got myself into an MPH program. A) because it was too late to do an MS; B) I could use my decent MCATs to apply; C) because there weren't any postbaccs nearby that I knew of, and I didn't want to leave my home. I guess we will see if it works for me or not this application cycle. Maybe the fact that I took 6 classes per semester will say something...I know alot of MPHers that only take 3 or 4. But anyhoo, I think the bottomline is that there are no guarantees. How are some people with stellar MCATs and GPAs rejected from some schools that they "should" get into? No one knows. Choose what you believe to be right for you at the time (maybe I would have done postbacc if there were one nearby, I don't know). And, if you don't get in again, you will do what is necessary if medicine is really your dream. Both the MPH and the postbacc are worth something - but they are worth different things to different people and they have different strengths and weaknesses. I guess that's all from here. This has been quite the thread to watch.

Cheers...

"He chose....poorly..." "You have chosen...wisely..."

daelroy said:
Likely response. What's especially funny about that quote was how you referred to the GU program but failed to inform us that you were actually in it. That would have made you look really stupid considering you were belittling the postbac by using GU as an example of the very best program that still had a low acceptance rate. And all along, you were a member of that program. Go figure! You went on to further call postbac a useless degree etc.

GU has one of the best reputations but there are other programs with smaller classes and higher placement rates scattered all over the country.

Anyway, I don't see why this is such a difficult concept for you and foughtfyr to understand. An hard science post bacc, and an MS offer classes that are very representative of MS1 classes. Some programs actually place students in a few MS1 classes. If you are trying to prove to an adcom that you are capable of handling an MS1 load, then you need to take classes that are most representative of MS1 classes and curriculum. An MPH does not to do this. I'm not so naive to be unaware that many MPH graduates get acceptance into medical school. But if you are a candidate with a low GPA, you would be safe to enter an MS or postbac that resembles an MS1 curriculum as opposed to an MPH. I'm not saying you can't get in with an MPH but the odds are less in your favor when compared to a postbac. You know this which is why you enrolled in postbac as insurance.

My mdapplicants profile has always been in my profile for all the world to see; I have nothing to hide. I assumed you wouldve have looked at it already. I was just pointing out that nothing is guaranteed b/c even after the GU program a fair number dont get in med school (and the class averages are 3.3 / 29 MCAT, not too shabby). The post-bacc MS is a useless degree.. FOR GETTING A JOB. You are quoting me out of context. But that should be obvious b/c the point of a post-bacc MS is to get in medical school, not to get a job. Of course I enrolled in a post-bacc program for insurance. Again, I never said post bacc's dont get you in med school, they do. Do you think I enrolled in it for my own enjoyment? I also enrolled in a MPH program to get in med school. It just so happened that the MPH was all I needed, but thats just ME. For someone else, a post-bacc is probably a better idea, i.e. most of my GU post bacc classmates.

Anyway, this thread has digressed far far from the original point. Both the MS and MPH can help you get into medical school, but it really depends on a your situation and your interests.

I have been lurking this thread for a long time. While I am not an MPH, or an MS, or a post-bac program ?graduate?, I still think I can clear a few things up because everyone here is a little right and a little wrong.

I am an MD/PhD student studying health policy, and I have been the student representative to my school?s medical admissions committee for the past two years (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)).

First off daelroy, you are wrong. Most of my PhD work has been in the history of medical eduaction and the policies that regulate it. The development of post-bac programs had nothing at all to do with MPH students and everything to do with money. When they were first created they were used to offer some legitimacy to institutions where admissions could be ?bought?. One school outside of a large, midwestern city used to be notorious for this ? to the point where some residency programs in that city, for a time, would not accept any graduates from that institution. And that remains some physicians? view of them (very few, but they are out there). Before you get all defensive, realize that today?s programs bear no resemblance to that AT ALL, and almost all adcoms know that. A post-bac is a valid method, and by no means an easy one, to improve your application.

I do not understand why everyone is so caught up in what program type equals re-applicant. As FoughtFyr truthfully pointed out, re-applicants are noted on the AMCAS application.

Daelroy is right in a different regard. The AMCAS application places post-baccalaureate work into the ?undergraduate? GPA category. MPH (or MS) work is placed into a separate ?graduate? GPA. So, only the post-bac program really raises the ?undergraduate? GPA. I would point out that any post-baccalaureate work would do this, which has been the subject of heated debate on our adcom. We do not recalculate the GPAs provided by AMCAS in any way, so if someone returns to a community college after graduation and takes some 100 level courses, they can raise their undergraduate GPA, even in BCPM; but I digress.

Our adcom functions similar to the one FoughtFyr described. Any graduate level work is awarded the GPA given by AMCAS. We do not differentiate between the types of Masters programs (yes, an MS in Physical Education would work!). We also award a ?bonus? for the completion of any graduate program of at least two years length, with a larger increase for doctoral work, and that is only awarded when the degree is complete. Like his/her adcom, we do not award the "bonus" for completing a post-bac program.

So what is ?the best? way to go. On my adcom (and from the sound of it FoughtFyr?s as well), do an MS (or an MPH) and go back and take some undergrad classes in the sciences at the same time. That way, you will get the undergrad GPA increase, the "bonus" for finishing a Masters program, and a solid graduate GPA. If the MPH were really an ?easy? Masters, although I suspect this is not true, then it would seem to me to be a good degree to use in this capacity.

As far as what is ?most respected? by adcoms. The answer is ?nothing?. By that I mean most of the committee?s initial consideration (for interviews) is based almost solely on the numbers. A candidate who completes a post-bac program of 40 undergraduate credit hours in one year with a 4.0 would look the same as one who did 10 hours of post-bac undergrad work on their own for four years with a 4.0. We use the numbers. By that standard, an MPH may look worse if there was a need for raising the undergraduate GPA above our minimum. However, if the undergrad GPA were above our cutoff minimum, but still rather low, the extra consideration for completion of the Master?s would more than offset this - in that case the MPH (or MS) would be better. How?s that for a straight answer? And no, I can?t tell you what the cutoff GPA is, because it varies, not only year to year but also within the application cycle.

In ?secondary? (post interview) consideration which is respected more? That really depends on a number of other factors including which member of the adcom is evaluating the applicant. I tend to lean toward those completing a Masters of some description, as do most of the members of my adcom. I think FoughtFyr said it well when he/she said that it showed a sense of ?maturity? and realization that medical school entrance was not guaranteed. If a post-bac student shows this in other ways, I can see them being as well regarded. I do agree that a post-bac program demonstrates more aptly that an applicant can handle medical school, but by the time we are looking that closely at an application that really isn?t our main concern. We only interview applicants we believe can handle the work.

Two last points to consider. On our adcom sit two MD/MPHs; I asked and one received his MPH degree before medical school, and one (an emergency room physician) went back after residency. There is also one MS in chemistry, also from before medical school. There are no members of the committee who admit to having been in a post-bac program.

Second, (since FoughtFyr seems to have left this thread), MPHs are used in emergency medicine. The last EMRA guide has a section devoted to public health in the ED. In my (limited) experience, almost all areas of medicine at least consider public health. Even radiology! There is a public health partnership as part of Dartmouth?s radiology residency! So, I hate to say it but I think you are wrong there too daelroy. :(

Guess??? said:
By that standard, an MPH may look worse if there was a need for raising the undergraduate GPA above our minimum. (

This is probably why schools like Duke, Howard, Hopkins, VCU, Harvard, and UNC-Chapel Hill ALL advised me to get the MS in a hard core science.

pathdr2b said:
This is probably why schools like Duke, Howard, Hopkins, VCU, Harvard, and UNC-Chapel Hill ALL advised me to get the MS in a hard core science.

I don't know. On our committee the MS work would be part of your "graduate" GPA, like the MPH. It might have been a perception that MPH work would not include a great deal of BCPM courses (as discussed on another thread). If your undergraduate GPA was below our minimum, an MS in anything wouldn't have saved you. If you were above it, we would look at your graduate work as our guide in deciding if you were granted an interview. If there was not enough BCPM graduate work, we'd go back to undergrad (where you didn't want us to look).

On our adcom, it is not the title of the Masters degree but the amount of BCPM work that matters.

But that is how our committee runs (altough it sounds like our set up is similar to FoughtFyr's).

Guess??? said:
If your undergraduate GPA was below our minimum, an MS in anything wouldn't have saved you.

Interesting point because my undergrad GPA was EXTREMELY below the average matriculant to medical school, yet I managed to secure an MD/PhD acceptance a few years ago AFTER completing the MS. But it was the only dark spot in my app, so schools ARE looking at other aspects of an applicant than just numbers onlyincluding the schools I mentioned above.

I should also mention that internally, many schools considered the fact that I not only finished the MS but finished it at a top 5 chemistry department an added bonus. It also appears that "points" are given depending on the undergrad school you attend as well.

Maybe we should complie a list of schools where a Master's degree won't "save" you from a poor undergrad showing to prevent other late bloomers like myself from wasting time and money. Can we start with your school?

pathdr2b said:
Interesting point because my undergrad GPA was EXTREMELY below the average matriculant to medical school, yet I managed to secure an MD/PhD acceptance a few years ago AFTER completing the MS. But it was the only dark spot in my app, so schools ARE looking at other aspects of an applicant than just numbers onlyincluding the schools I mentioned above.

I agree, and I don't want to oversimplify our process. There are always exceptions. I have seen files "flagged" and individuals argued for because the app caught a committee member's eye. Last year, I argued (successfully) for an applicant whose grades, I felt, were negatively impacted by the fact that he had been injured in a car wreck and was in a leg cast and arm sling through most of his senior year. Others have argued for authors of particular papers, those who completed certain Masters programs, etc. We have one member who argues for every candidate from their undergrad alma mater (fortunately a very small school).

I just took issue with the ramblings here that seemed to be pushing the post-bac. Post-bacs are a tool, sometimes the right tool, but in my experience a Masters generally is better. As far as a Masters in what, that would remain the provence of the adcom evaluating and the student studying but I have rarely seen that to be the deciding factor. We admitted a fair number (~15) of MSs and MPHs last cycle (and we are pretty well set right now - just having occasional "wind-down" meetings), but I only remember 2 post-bacs on the accpetence list...

I wish I could tell you where I'm at, but I signed an agreement not to reveal the workings of the adcom. I'm comfortable doing it as an unknown because I am not speaking with the "authority" of the school, but if I announced where I am, I will have violated that agreement. :(

Sorry!

Guess??? said:
I wish I could tell you where I'm at, but I signed an agreement not to reveal the workings of the adcom. I'm comfortable doing it as an unknown because I am not speaking with the "authority" of the school, but if I announced where I am, I will have violated that agreement. :(

No problem! :D Unfortunately the issue of a poor undergrad record is something that many non trads have to deal with. Because so many of us also have families, mortages, ect, it would be real nice to know in advance which schools won't be forving of past academic "indiscretions". But thanks anyway for your input. It's alway good to have an inside scoop! :D

Guess??? said:
I have been lurking this thread for a long time. While I am not an MPH, or an MS, or a post-bac program ?graduate?, I still think I can clear a few things up because everyone here is a little right and a little wrong.

I am an MD/PhD student studying health policy, and I have been the student representative to my school?s medical admissions committee for the past two years (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)).

First off daelroy, you are wrong. Most of my PhD work has been in the history of medical eduaction and the policies that regulate it. The development of post-bac programs had nothing at all to do with MPH students and everything to do with money. When they were first created they were used to offer some legitimacy to institutions where admissions could be ?bought?. One school outside of a large, midwestern city used to be notorious for this ? to the point where some residency programs in that city, for a time, would not accept any graduates from that institution. And that remains some physicians? view of them (very few, but they are out there). Before you get all defensive, realize that today?s programs bear no resemblance to that AT ALL, and almost all adcoms know that. A post-bac is a valid method, and by no means an easy one, to improve your application.

I do not understand why everyone is so caught up in what program type equals re-applicant. As FoughtFyr truthfully pointed out, re-applicants are noted on the AMCAS application.

Daelroy is right in a different regard. The AMCAS application places post-baccalaureate work into the ?undergraduate? GPA category. MPH (or MS) work is placed into a separate ?graduate? GPA. So, only the post-bac program really raises the ?undergraduate? GPA. I would point out that any post-baccalaureate work would do this, which has been the subject of heated debate on our adcom. We do not recalculate the GPAs provided by AMCAS in any way, so if someone returns to a community college after graduation and takes some 100 level courses, they can raise their undergraduate GPA, even in BCPM; but I digress.

Our adcom functions similar to the one FoughtFyr described. Any graduate level work is awarded the GPA given by AMCAS. We do not differentiate between the types of Masters programs (yes, an MS in Physical Education would work!). We also award a ?bonus? for the completion of any graduate program of at least two years length, with a larger increase for doctoral work, and that is only awarded when the degree is complete. Like his/her adcom, we do not award the "bonus" for completing a post-bac program.

So what is ?the best? way to go. On my adcom (and from the sound of it FoughtFyr?s as well), do an MS (or an MPH) and go back and take some undergrad classes in the sciences at the same time. That way, you will get the undergrad GPA increase, the "bonus" for finishing a Masters program, and a solid graduate GPA. If the MPH were really an ?easy? Masters, although I suspect this is not true, then it would seem to me to be a good degree to use in this capacity.

As far as what is ?most respected? by adcoms. The answer is ?nothing?. By that I mean most of the committee?s initial consideration (for interviews) is based almost solely on the numbers. A candidate who completes a post-bac program of 40 undergraduate credit hours in one year with a 4.0 would look the same as one who did 10 hours of post-bac undergrad work on their own for four years with a 4.0. We use the numbers. By that standard, an MPH may look worse if there was a need for raising the undergraduate GPA above our minimum. However, if the undergrad GPA were above our cutoff minimum, but still rather low, the extra consideration for completion of the Master?s would more than offset this - in that case the MPH (or MS) would be better. How?s that for a straight answer? And no, I can?t tell you what the cutoff GPA is, because it varies, not only year to year but also within the application cycle.

In ?secondary? (post interview) consideration which is respected more? That really depends on a number of other factors including which member of the adcom is evaluating the applicant. I tend to lean toward those completing a Masters of some description, as do most of the members of my adcom. I think FoughtFyr said it well when he/she said that it showed a sense of ?maturity? and realization that medical school entrance was not guaranteed. If a post-bac student shows this in other ways, I can see them being as well regarded. I do agree that a post-bac program demonstrates more aptly that an applicant can handle medical school, but by the time we are looking that closely at an application that really isn?t our main concern. We only interview applicants we believe can handle the work.

Two last points to consider. On our adcom sit two MD/MPHs; I asked and one received his MPH degree before medical school, and one (an emergency room physician) went back after residency. There is also one MS in chemistry, also from before medical school. There are no members of the committee who admit to having been in a post-bac program.

Second, (since FoughtFyr seems to have left this thread), MPHs are used in emergency medicine. The last EMRA guide has a section devoted to public health in the ED. In my (limited) experience, almost all areas of medicine at least consider public health. Even radiology! There is a public health partnership as part of Dartmouth?s radiology residency! So, I hate to say it but I think you are wrong there too daelroy. :(

Gee, this person wouldn't happen to be FOUGHTFYR now would he. Let's see

1. FoughtFyr mysteriously disappears and the author happens to acknowledge that.
2. This person has never posted before until this thread
3. This person has basically repeated everything FoughtFyr has said but rephrased it.
4. The author conveniently addresses and remember specific points about the MPH.
5. This person refuses to list the name of his school to which he is an adcom. And that is bs about adcoms needing to be private about such matters. Adcoms are very open about their general admissions process. Sure, they can't tell you whether you will get in or not in an e-mail or a phone without applying and going through the process. But they have no issues about providing their contact information (e-mail usually) and the name of their school.

It's fairly obvious this author is FoughtFyr! Hey, I like the MD/PhD in "health policy." I will give you some creativty points for that. Anyway, I have moved on. I agree that every adcom has a different approach to the admissions process. Just call the school you are interested in and a REAL adcom will have no issue discussing their admissions policies and what they deem important.

I would like to hear about feedback from a real adcom that can provide verifiable evidence like his or her identity and the name of their school with contact info. Otherwise, Mr. Guess/Foughtfyr is doing no one any good. I could create a "Guess" identity too and make up some b.s.

http://www.examkrackers.com/bb/index.php?c=4

Judy Levine was a REAL adcom and provides advice on admissions in general. She has answered the postbac vs. Masters in several threads. This person has actually revealed her identity and is not another member disguised as an adcom (FOUGHTFYR).

Judy was the Director of Admissions for 6 years at New York Medical College. She now has her own pre-med consulting service and offers free advice on the Examcrackers website.

I would say she has some credibility, a lot more than any of us here including Mr. Guess/FoughtFyr.

daelroy said:
Gee, this person wouldn't happen to be FOUGHTFYR now would he. Let's see

1. FoughtFyr mysteriously disappears and the author happens to acknowledge that.
2. This person has never posted before until this thread
3. This person has basically repeated everything FoughtFyr has said but rephrased it.
4. The author conveniently addresses and remember specific points about the MPH.
5. This person refuses to list the name of his school to which he is an adcom. And that is bs about adcoms needing to be private about such matters. Adcoms are very open about their general admissions process. Sure, they can't tell you whether you will get in or not in an e-mail or a phone without applying and going through the process. But they have no issues about providing their contact information (e-mail usually) and the name of their school.

It's fairly obvious this author is FoughtFyr! Hey, I like the MD/PhD in "health policy." I will give you some creativty points for that. Anyway, I have moved on. I agree that every adcom has a different approach to the admissions process. Just call the school you are interested in and a REAL adcom will have no issue discussing their admissions policies and what they deem important.

I would like to hear about feedback from a real adcom that can provide verifiable evidence like his or her identity and the name of their school with contact info. Otherwise, Mr. Guess/Foughtfyr is doing no one any good. I could create a "Guess" identity too and make up some b.s.

Well, I guess you figured it out. Look at the that date I joined genius, you will note it was Febuary 2004. Not recently, not as a response to you. So if Foughtfyr and I are one person then I (we) have been planning this conversation for months? Get real. The reason I haven't posted before is that it seems these threads really digress quickly into these kinds of personal attacks. I really thought I had something to offer on this thread. Generally I've been watching from the sidelines and I am going to return there now...

The reason I "know" Foughtfyr has left is that his/her location on the side of the posts changed from something about Rochester to "signing off SDN". I realize that it is far easier to believe there is a conspiracy against you but really... Maybe people just get tired of arguing with you.

The only point I made about an MPH is that post-bacs were not created to address MPH students. And that is true, take a course in health professionals education sometime. The rest of my points were on both the MPH or MS or any other Masters degrees. Please fault me for finding my work on our adcom interesting enough to note the differences and similarities between ours and the one Foughtfyr described.

You are right, any adcom member will discuss in abstract terms the workings of the committee. I provided specifics about our decisions. I feel that exposing myself, as the only student member of the adcom, could have ramifications I wouldn't like.

Most medical school adcoms have at least one student member, I don't find it such a stretch that two of us (at least) are on SDN. To my ears Foughtfyr seems to have an accurate enough understanding of the process that I believe they have something to do with the adcom. (But then, I forgot, you think we are one person pretending to be on two adcoms for the nefarious purpose of spreading the evils of public health throughout the Internet!)

And please, hold up someone who has a commerical interest as the bastion of information. As you said, you command more than $60/hr. as an CAT tutor. Is it for examkrackers?

By the way, I don't agree with everything Foughfyr said. I do agree with YOU that a post-bac is the only to raise an undergraduate GPA. I also agree with YOU that there is an undergrad GPA under which an MPH would do no good and a post-bac would be helpful. I sorry that after serving on an adcom both Foughtfyr AND I (two people) feel that in MOST cases a Masters is the better choice.

Lastly, as for the MPH being in the EMRA emergency medicine guide, (or any other thing you think I said about an MPH) I know that because I am a member of EMRA and will hopefully (in two or three years - depends on my thesis schedule) will follow Foughtfyr into the EM match.

Believe me or don't. I'm in and will finish (someday :(). But thank-you for giving me a new sense of how some applicants think.

Guess??? said:
Maybe people just get tired of arguing with you.

Yep. I'm sick of daelroy (and others). Stay and play with him if you want. I got into school and got my #1 choice in the match. I found the information I was looking for on SDN when I needed it. I was only trying to help out in return but I just don't have the energy to fight stupid people any more.

Guess, good luck in the EM match, I'll be looking for a Tox fellowship in three years, maybe I'll see you on the interview trail. Oh yeah, we are the same person :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I'm out!

- H

This thread is very informative....however...I have a few questions. Is there much of a difference if one does an MS program at a not-so-well-known school (well known in the city and state) or at a state university? Also, does it matter if the program is setup similar to Georgetown's SMP program or if its essentially a "true" MS degree (ie someone mentioned an MS in Chemistry)? I noticed it really comes down to the amount of BCPM in the MS program...well seeing that the SMP program has a lot of Bio...wouldnt that be just as beneficial as a "true" MS that can aid a person in getting a job (ie isnt just for who are reapplying to med school)? Does institution matter? From what I gather post-bacs are really for people who's gpa really hurts their chances of getting in to med school....what about those on the cusp who have a decent gpa...but not stellar...would you still recommend an MS in that case?

Guess??? said:
Well, I guess you figured it out. Look at the that date I joined genius, you will note it was Febuary 2004. Not recently, not as a response to you. So if Foughtfyr and I are one person then I (we) have been planning this conversation for months? Get real. The reason I haven't posted before is that it seems these threads really digress quickly into these kinds of personal attacks. I really thought I had something to offer on this thread. Generally I've been watching from the sidelines and I am going to return there now...

The reason I "know" Foughtfyr has left is that his/her location on the side of the posts changed from something about Rochester to "signing off SDN". I realize that it is far easier to believe there is a conspiracy against you but really... Maybe people just get tired of arguing with you.

The only point I made about an MPH is that post-bacs were not created to address MPH students. And that is true, take a course in health professionals education sometime. The rest of my points were on both the MPH or MS or any other Masters degrees. Please fault me for finding my work on our adcom interesting enough to note the differences and similarities between ours and the one Foughtfyr described.

You are right, any adcom member will discuss in abstract terms the workings of the committee. I provided specifics about our decisions. I feel that exposing myself, as the only student member of the adcom, could have ramifications I wouldn't like.

Most medical school adcoms have at least one student member, I don't find it such a stretch that two of us (at least) are on SDN. To my ears Foughtfyr seems to have an accurate enough understanding of the process that I believe they have something to do with the adcom. (But then, I forgot, you think we are one person pretending to be on two adcoms for the nefarious purpose of spreading the evils of public health throughout the Internet!)

And please, hold up someone who has a commerical interest as the bastion of information. As you said, you command more than $60/hr. as an CAT tutor. Is it for examkrackers?

By the way, I don't agree with everything Foughfyr said. I do agree with YOU that a post-bac is the only to raise an undergraduate GPA. I also agree with YOU that there is an undergrad GPA under which an MPH would do no good and a post-bac would be helpful. I sorry that after serving on an adcom both Foughtfyr AND I (two people) feel that in MOST cases a Masters is the better choice.

Lastly, as for the MPH being in the EMRA emergency medicine guide, (or any other thing you think I said about an MPH) I know that because I am a member of EMRA and will hopefully (in two or three years - depends on my thesis schedule) will follow Foughtfyr into the EM match.

Believe me or don't. I'm in and will finish (someday :(). But thank-you for giving me a new sense of how some applicants think.

It's sad that you have to assume the identity of another person to bolster your argument. I guess you got tired of losing an argument so you had to respond from a fictitious title. Give it a rest. Your first four posts coincided on this thread and emitted foughtfyr's statements nearly word for word. And you even defended the MPH in the field of emergency medicine which is foughtfyr's chosen field. Your "fear" of being detected is a weak excuse especially considering that most adcoms include several students and not just one. And do you really think your adcom is going to come to SDN and trace this message to you? Anyone can say he or she is an adcom and present the type of generic information you provided. Nothing you said couldn't be extracted from a simple phone call or an e-mail. I could have created an alias and written exactly what you said and claimed to be on adcom of a school I couldn't divulge.

Finally, Judy Levine was the director of admissions for New York Medical College. What does her decision to pursue private consulting have to do with the quality of her advice? I guess her years of experience as an adcom doesn't count all of a sudden. I suppose she quit her job at New York Medical College because she was really bad at her job and had to settle on earning a lot more money consulting on the side. Great argument there genius. We should all take your word over Judy's. After all, your name is GUESS.

p.s. Examkrackers sells books. They aren't a nationally established testing center like Kaplan and TPR that hires private tutors. Besides, Kaplan and TPR only pay their tutors 20 dollars an hour. I get 60. Do your homework before you try to discredit someone next time.

Lets move on

Bullfan16 said:
This thread is very informative....however...I have a few questions. Is there much of a difference if one does an MS program at a not-so-well-known school (well known in the city and state) or at a state university?

It doesn't matter to the point that a B from the respected school will be viewed as an 'A' from the state school. A's are always better. School name is often overrated by applicants. Adcoms rarely if ever care about the name of your school. One thing you should think about is that the more reputable the program the more competitive they tend to be. You may not earn the type of grades you expected by going to the school with the better name, and then you would really be in trouble. It may not be worth the risk.

Also, does it matter if the program is setup similar to Georgetown's SMP program or if its essentially a "true" MS degree (ie someone mentioned an MS in Chemistry)?

It only matters if you are trying to compensate for a low GPA. There are two types of MS degrees. One type of MS involves writing a thesis. This MS includes a lot of research as a part of its curriculum. The other MS doesn't involve writing a thesis. You just take classes and exams. There strengths and weaknesses with each.

The thesis centered MS is strong in that you can do research and get something published which would bolster your application. The main weakness associated with the thesis oriented MS is that you don't take many classes and thus it may not do a great job compensating for a weak GPA. The non-thesis MS has the opposite effect. It enables you to take a lot of classes but there aren't much if any research opportunities. It is basically a postbac that awards an MS degre. Dartmouth has one like this.

I think the thesis MS would be the best in your situation. Your GPA is respectable so the opportunity to publish and do research could bolster your application.

I noticed it really comes down to the amount of BCPM in the MS program...well seeing that the SMP program has a lot of Bio...wouldnt that be just as beneficial as a "true" MS that can aid a person in getting a job (ie isnt just for who are reapplying to med school)?

No, they have different strengths. The traditional MS is the thesis centered version. As I said above, this thesis MS is good for bolstering an application but not compensating for a low GPA.

From what I gather post-bacs are really for people who's gpa really hurts their chances of getting in to med school....what about those on the cusp who have a decent gpa...but not stellar...would you still recommend an MS in that case?

If you are on the cusp, the best advice is to raise your MCAT. With a high enough MCAT score, you wouldn't even really need a postbac/MS/MPH.

You are absolutely correct. Postbacs are for those with really low GPA's that are trying to raise them to respectable levels or even compensate for them in some manner. I would advise you to pursue the MPH or MS over a postbac considering that your GPA is on the cusp. The only way I would consider a postbac if one of them had strong ties to a medical school you were interested in attending. Some postbac programs have political ties to medical schools. They have a track record for placing students into that medical school. Thus the medical school adcom gives preferential treatment to stellar graduates of that particular postbac. Not all postbac programs are set up this way. Not all postbac programs have a track record for placing students into a particular medical school. It depends on the school and the postbac. Like I said, some medical schools have very close ties to their postbac program. You will be given special treatment and your name will be more recognizable to the adcom. So, yes, in your situation I would NOT suggest a postbac. BUT if there is a medical school you are interested in that has a strong relationship with a postbac program, it may be worth investigating that program. Make sure, you call the adcom of the medical school that supposedly has this "relationship" to verify it exists. Postbac program sponsors or directors can be like used car salesmen and tell you that their program is amazing at placing students at a particular medical school when in reality that isn't the case at all.

O.k daelroy, I'm (we're) caught because I joined these forums months ago and didn't post until I saw another student adcom do so? Whatever. I was shown this thread by another student (who has never posted) so I guess foughtfyr is now three people.

The fact that you will "call my school" is exactly why I don't post my location. I described my efforts on behalf of an easily identifiable student. That is where the violation of my agreement would be.

Our student member (singular) is elected each year by the student body. I will serve as long as they wish.

But it is heartening to see in the last paragraph of your last post that you are coming around to what everoyne else has been telling you is the case about post-bacs and Masters.

Seriously, I don't know why I started in the first place.

Guess??? said:
O.k daelroy, I'm (we're) caught because I joined these forums months ago and didn't post until I saw another student adcom do so? Whatever. I was shown this thread by another student (who has never posted) so I guess foughtfyr is now three people.

The fact that you will "call my school" is exactly why I don't post my location. I described my efforts on behalf of an easily identifiable student. That is where the violation of my agreement would be.

Our student member (singular) is elected each year by the student body. I will serve as long as they wish.

But it is heartening to see in the last paragraph of your last post that you are coming around to what everoyne else has been telling you is the case about post-bacs and Masters.

Seriously, I don't know why I started in the first place.

Of course I will call your school because you are full of it. And that's precisely the reaon why you can't provide your school's name because you don't know enough about another school's adcom to make something up. Besides, the student adcom changes each year so how would they know it was you. LOL The excuses are as lame as your switched identities.

Easily identifiable student? Your description could easily apply to a thousand students. What was so identifiable about your student? That he was a postbac student. whoaa, that's so specific.

Keep trying

exmike said:
My mdapplicants profile has always been in my profile for all the world to see; I have nothing to hide. I assumed you wouldve have looked at it already. I was just pointing out that nothing is guaranteed b/c even after the GU program a fair number dont get in med school (and the class averages are 3.3 / 29 MCAT, not too shabby). The post-bacc MS is a useless degree.. FOR GETTING A JOB. You are quoting me out of context. But that should be obvious b/c the point of a post-bacc MS is to get in medical school, not to get a job. Of course I enrolled in a post-bacc program for insurance. Again, I never said post bacc's dont get you in med school, they do. Do you think I enrolled in it for my own enjoyment? I also enrolled in a MPH program to get in med school. It just so happened that the MPH was all I needed, but thats just ME. For someone else, a post-bacc is probably a better idea, i.e. most of my GU post bacc classmates.

Anyway, this thread has digressed far far from the original point. Both the MS and MPH can help you get into medical school, but it really depends on a your situation and your interests.

For once, I agree with you. Good post. (no sarcasm intended)

So getting all A's would really be the only way (assuming I enrolled in an MS here in Chicago...there's a program at Roosevelt University I am interested in)??? I hate to keep asking this, but does reputation matter (in terms of school) or just the fact that you earned the MS at a 4-year university and did some research make you more valuable as an applicant? I just dont want to make the same mistakes I did after receiving an BS in finance and taking most pre-reqs at a CC (by the way I am a pre-dental student, CC credit is looked upon less negatively...for the most part....by dental schools as compared to med schools) upon the advice of an adcom at UIC (to keep costs down). Anyway, answer away...thanks for the previous advice. Its hard to sort through each program and decide which path is best for me to take right now. 1-2 years from now it will be very clear, but who wants to deal with more hindsight?

bumpity bump bump....

Okay, so I am freaking out. I'm finishing up my MPH. First semester grades were good...5 A's and a B+. This semester? Not as good. 3 A's, 2A-'s and an effing B- in a Biostats class. (The stupid prof told a bunch of people to quit after the second test, so it totally screwed me on the curve. GRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad: ). Anyway, my issue is that the classes I can count for BCPM are an A, 2A-'s, a B+, and that STUPID B-. That only give me a BCPM of 3.48. I mean, all the classes that were biology oriented were fine...but the stupid math (stats) classes are screwing me over. Is this totally going to mess up my chances :eek: ? My first semester gpa was 3.88, and this semester will be a 3.65, for a 3.77 overall. I am just so damn frustrated :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ...needed to vent. Thanks for listening. Any advice or encouragement would be most appreciated.....

kmjannie said:
bumpity bump bump....

Okay, so I am freaking out. I'm finishing up my MPH. First semester grades were good...5 A's and a B+. This semester? Not as good. 3 A's, 2A-'s and an effing B- in a Biostats class. (The stupid prof told a bunch of people to quit after the second test, so it totally screwed me on the curve. GRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad: ). Anyway, my issue is that the classes I can count for BCPM are an A, 2A-'s, a B+, and that STUPID B-. That only give me a BCPM of 3.48. I mean, all the classes that were biology oriented were fine...but the stupid math (stats) classes are screwing me over. Is this totally going to mess up my chances :eek: ? My first semester gpa was 3.88, and this semester will be a 3.65, for a 3.77 overall. I am just so damn frustrated :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ...needed to vent. Thanks for listening. Any advice or encouragement would be most appreciated.....

I had a 3.68 BCMP for my MPH and a 3.77 All Other. It didn't affect me.

kmjannie said:
bumpity bump bump....

I agree with ex-mike with a caveat. I wouldn't try to make an "excuse" for the B- on your PS or during an interview. Excuses for poor class performance almost always come off poorly, and in my experience (unless dealing with a "D" or "F") generally call attention to something that might have otherwise gone unnoticed. If directly asked (and I will be SHOCKED if you were) simply state that you did not perform to your own expectations. and leave it at that.

daelroy said:
There are two types of MS degrees. One type of MS involves writing a thesis. This MS includes a lot of research as a part of its curriculum. The other MS doesn't involve writing a thesis. You just take classes and exams. There strengths and weaknesses with each.

The thesis centered MS is strong in that you can do research and get something published which would bolster your application. The main weakness associated with the thesis oriented MS is that you don't take many classes and thus it may not do a great job compensating for a weak GPA. The non-thesis MS has the opposite effect. It enables you to take a lot of classes but there aren't much if any research opportunities. It is basically a postbac that awards an MS degre.

now that this thread has been brought to my attention again....

you seriously have no idea what you're talking about!
the non-thesis centered master's offers plenty of opps to do research....but more than that, it usually requires getting out into the real world and interacting in creating programs and/or completing projects...which for me was a really great EC boost....

it sucks when an informative thread turns nasty...which is what daelroy did with this one......

i guess the point in the end is to just do whatever interests you.....like, for me, i had heard about a new program that was being started at ucla's school of public health (a concentration on terrorism and disasters and public health) and that's what really decided me...it sounded so interesting that i really wanted to get the master's....and even though it was a two year master's, i'm really glad i went........because my experiences and grades there were the only difference between my first application and my second......and i'm in to the school i wanted.....

either way, if you want to get an mph, but are worried about your undergrad gpa, do what someone posted, and take some undergrad classes at the same time.....

and to those misinformed souls who think that an MPH is an easy degree, there are some easy classes (as in any major) and some pretty difficult ones.....pretty much run-of-the-mill degree stuff.....

camstah said:
now that this thread has been brought to my attention again....

you seriously have no idea what you're talking about!
the non-thesis centered master's offers plenty of opps to do research....but more than that, it usually requires getting out into the real world and interacting in creating programs and/or completing projects...which for me was a really great EC boost....

it sucks when an informative thread turns nasty...which is what daelroy did with this one......

i guess the point in the end is to just do whatever interests you.....like, for me, i had heard about a new program that was being started at ucla's school of public health (a concentration on terrorism and disasters and public health) and that's what really decided me...it sounded so interesting that i really wanted to get the master's....and even though it was a two year master's, i'm really glad i went........because my experiences and grades there were the only difference between my first application and my second......and i'm in to the school i wanted.....

either way, if you want to get an mph, but are worried about your undergrad gpa, do what someone posted, and take some undergrad classes at the same time.....

and to those misinformed souls who think that an MPH is an easy degree, there are some easy classes (as in any major) and some pretty difficult ones.....pretty much run-of-the-mill degree stuff.....
I'm glad that getting an MPH degree worked for you. But, I think the best way for someone to go that is worried about their undergraduate grades is to get an MS in science (Biology or Chemistry) or take post-bac courses. I contacted an Admissions Director at one medical school and the person flat out told me that they really do not consider MPH coursework. I appreciated this person's honesty because I was considering doing an MPH. When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. How can you prove to an admissions committee that you can handle the medical school curriculum by taking Public Health courses?

So, if you have a great undergrad GPA, the MPH will definitely add to your application. But, for someone who is worried about his/her undergrad GPA he/she should take some upper level science courses or get an MS.

exmike is leaving the fact that he did outstanding on the mcat. That had a lot to do with the 19 interviews. Yes the mph does help but it just proved what the adcoms were thinking-- (that this guy is pretty smart but for some reason or another his gpa doesnt show it-oh wait he did well on hid mph ok now he's in)

I served on our schools' adcom this year. In the process, I learned a lot about our admissions policy. We don't reserve prejudices for the "MPH" graduate or the "Postbac" graduate. What we do carefully examine are the candidate's coursework whether it was completed in an MPH, MS or Postbac. Those titles mean nothing to us. We look at the indivual classes or courses taken in each program. If your MPH is academically rigorous, we will know that. If your MPH includes a lot of ambiguous research classes despite having an Ivy League name attached to it, we will also be aware of that.

In general, MPH's are viewed favorably. They emphasize a different aspect of healthcare and demonstrate a candidates commitment to the health and medicine. At the same time, MPH degrees are not viewed as the most effective means of proving that a student is cabable of handling the academic rigors of medical school. This is not true for all MPH degrees as many are more rigorous than others but in general MPH degrees are not as academically challenging as non-thesis MS or a postbac in which a student is forced to taking a large volume of classes that are graded on the performance of exams and more standardized criteria.

We admitted and rejected students with MPH degrees this past year. The ones who were rejected all seemed to show a similar pattern. They were sub 3.0 candidates with average MCAT's ranging in the 25-28 scale. The MPH students who were admitted had GPA's above a 3.0 and had MCAT scores in the 29 + range. We did admit some students who had a sub 3.0 GPA but these students were all postbac students. I personally interviewed one such student with a 2.8 and we felt his postbac work was rigorous enough to allow us to ignore his academic past. Suprisingly, this particular student had a very average MCAT of 25.

The MPH is viewed more as an extracurricular activity as opposed to a degree that suggests academic stamina. The MPH is viewed favorably and allowed these students to stand out. Their research was also reviewed favorably and helped these students. But EC's are seen as being secondary to academic coursework. No EC is going to make up for a substandard GPA. The MPH graduates who were admitted had strong MCATs so the MPH was just icing on the cake.

I fail to understand why statements such as these incite such an emotional response from the MPH graduates on this thread. I'm not putting the MPH down; I'm just not making it something that it isn't. I value the MPH degree and it can only help a student. But in general, the MPH is not an apology for a low GPA. And students who enroll in an MPH thinking that their degree will allow adcoms to forget about their past grades is sadly being mislead. Again, these are just the facts. The MPH can help students gain acceptance into medical school by making them more interesting but they don't rectify a weak academic past.

jiy76 said:
exmike is leaving the fact that he did outstanding on the mcat. That had a lot to do with the 19 interviews. Yes the mph does help but it just proved what the adcoms were thinking-- (that this guy is pretty smart but for some reason or another his gpa doesnt show it-oh wait he did well on hid mph ok now he's in)

As with AZCOM, we didn't admit the sub 3.0 MPH students unless they had competitive MCAT scores. Their MPH wasn't convincing enough to allow us to take a chance on them. Again, it had nothing to do with them having an MPH degree. Rather, these individual's MPH coursework did little in proving they could handle medical school. Their coursework varied quite a bit which told us very little of their ability to handle a full array of challenging classes in a given semester.

The advice I would give to all students is to worry less about the title you are pursuing and focus more on the coursework itself because we looked at that closely. I didn't just see 3.8 MPH and leave it at that. I opened up their file and saw what they actually took. Please be aware of that. The notion that adcoms don't really examine inidividual courses is bunk. Our roundtable discussion almost always discussed a student's performance in a particular class especially with students who were borderline. We are all aware of what the easy classes are. Any vague or ambiguous sounding science class wasn't viewed favorably particularly on-line classes, medical education classes and research classes. Research is viewed favorably just not as an actual course.

One last piece of advice; EC's are overrated. Our school is not Harvard. We don't have many students with similar GPA's and MCAT scores in the stratosphere. So for our school and many state schools, the basics come first: GPA and MCAT. EC's are secondary to all of that. EC's cannot make up for a poor GPA or MCAT. Everything else is secondary. Please remember that. Doing a cool graduate project will not forgive a low undergraduate GPA unless you prove in some manner that you are a different person now. And that is only accomplished through retaking a large volume of undergraduate or difficult graduate classes. If you have a bad GPA and you are trying to show you can excel in medical school, examine your MPH curriculum carefully.

My plan is to do a one year Master's Program in biotechnology to help my application for med school because my undergrad GPA will be around 3.2

Sticking to the hard science courses and not taking Internship, Seminars, or Thesis based courses is looked upon more favorably for students getting their MS? Thanks!

novacek88 said:
Lastly, we are all aware of what the easy classes are. Any vague or ambiguous sounding science class wasn't viewed favorably particularly on-line classes, medical education classes and research work. Research is viewed favorably just not as an actual course.

kmjannie said:
bumpity bump bump....

Sorry for the off-topic, but what determines your BCPM GPA?

I haven't read this whole thread (so my apologies if someone has already mentioned this!!). I just finished a Masters in Reproductive Biology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and I thought it was a teriffic program b/c you take science classes, but you also get to take a few public health classes with the MPH students. So you get the best of both worlds -- showing you can handle science classes as well as finding out what public health is all about. It's something to think about for people who want a masters but want more than an MPH degree.

If anyone wants more info, just PM me :)

clumpymold said:
Sorry for the off-topic, but what determines your BCPM GPA?

BCPM gpa = all bio, chem, physics, and math classes

I haven't served on any adcoms or anything like that. But I do know a ton of people who got their MPH after being rejected from medical school thinking it would improve their chances and it didn't. Two of those people just went to Ross and the other one is applying to some one year postbacs.

novacek88,

AACOMAS recalculates your gpa by only counting scores the second time you take them, how does this factor into the AZCOM admissions process? Say a person eventually obtains and applies with a competetive gpa, but only after retaking several prereq classes and getting good grades, their AACOMAS gpa could look really nice, how are those people evaluated? Im assuming, obviously, you look at the rigor of their post-bacc curriculum, but im wondering cause someone who was a 2.7 undergrad science, could retake 7-8 classes doing a formal postbac and end up with a 3.5 or higher AACOMAS science gpa but in reality this person could have a 2.8 or 2.9 AMCAS science gpa even after all those classes. Do you guys really treat this candidate like a 3.5? I read your post that an MPH does not excuse previous low grades, but MPH or any graduate grades aren't actually calculated into your actual science and overall ugrad gpa, but does really strong performance in a tough postbacc science curriculum excuse previous performance moreso? especially since AACOMAS makes it seem like it does.

based on this system in AACOMAS, for people seeking to improve low undergrad performance, for the DO route, i think a postbacc is strongly favorable. but i'm limiting my comments to the DO route only right now.

for allo, each person's individual needs are different and should be analyzed before choosing a program, postbacc, ms, mph etc. there is no set answer as to what the best course of action is.

PublicEnemy said:
novacek88,

AACOMAS recalculates your gpa by only counting scores the second time you take them, how does this factor into the AZCOM admissions process? Say a person eventually obtains and applies with a competetive gpa, but only after retaking several prereq classes and getting good grades, their AACOMAS gpa could look really nice, how are those people evaluated? Im assuming, obviously, you look at the rigor of their post-bacc curriculum, but im wondering cause someone who was a 2.7 undergrad science, could retake 7-8 classes doing a formal postbac and end up with a 3.5 or higher AACOMAS science gpa but in reality this person could have a 2.8 or 2.9 AMCAS science gpa even after all those classes. Do you guys really treat this candidate like a 3.5? I read your post that an MPH does not excuse previous low grades, but MPH or any graduate grades aren't actually calculated into your actual science and overall ugrad gpa, but does really strong performance in a tough postbacc science curriculum excuse previous performance moreso? especially since AACOMAS makes it seem like it does.

based on this system in AACOMAS, for people seeking to improve low undergrad performance, for the DO route, i think a postbacc is strongly favorable. but i'm limiting my comments to the DO route only right now.

for allo, each person's individual needs are different and should be analyzed before choosing a program, postbacc, ms, mph etc. there is no set answer as to what the best course of action is.

That is fine. We don't penalize people for past performance if they can prove they are capable of handing medical school now. If you can repeat 8 science classes and get A's in all of them then you have obviously proven you can handle medical school now. The AACOMAS GPA is what we go by. AZCOM doesn't go by the GPA on your transcript(s). If you repeated 8 classes and got all A's and wound up with a 3.5 then you would be evaluated as a 3.5 student. Of course, I would mention your new found maturation in your personal statement otherwise it could look strange. For DO, postbac is without a doubt your best option. For AMCAS, you can't really repeat all your troubled classes and erase the GPA like you can with AACOMAS so you are right, it's not so cut and dry.

What you have to understand is that when your GPA has fallen below a 3.0, then you are essentially out of the numbers game. At this point, you shouldn't even think about numbers. Rather, you should focus on the quality of the classes you take after undergrad. Whether, you do an MS, MPH or a BS, carefully select your classes because they will be scrutinized. We all know the difference between Human Anatomy and Marine Biology. The Marine Biology class may or may not be challenging. How do I know that your Marine Bio course wasn't some laid back research class where you simply examined specimens for your A. Human Anatomy is difficult regardless of where you take it. Stick to the basics and take classes that are recognizable by adcoms. There are many of these types of classes. Immunology, Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Pathophysiology, Histology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Cell or Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience....etc.

Imagine if you were in my situation. You have a student who has a 2.7 GPA, 30 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA in an MPH. Most likely this student is an admit already. But it depends! If I open this student's MPH and I discover it is riddled with ambiguous classes that I'm not familiar with or it's full of research credits, I will still be hesitant to admit this student. Now let's say I'm faced with another student. He has a 2.6 GPA, a 30 MCAT and a 3.8 postbac. When I open his postbac transcript, I see classes like anatomy, immuno, neuro, physiology and other classes that I can recognize. Sure, those classes are not at the same level as their medical school counterparts but they are pretty close. If a student can get an A in an undergrad or graduate Immunology class, then I'm pretty sure he can get at least a B in a medical version of that class if not an A. The postbac student is more of a sure thing where as the MPH student still has a lot of question marks. I don't know what this MPH student did. These classes are very ambiguous and may or may not be challenging. But I can recognize what the postbac student did and I know those classes are not easy regardless of where you take them.

Make sure you take classes that adcoms can recognize because they won't give them the benefit of the doubt. Again, titles mean nothing. If you take the right classes even as an MPH student, we will know. No one was penalized because he or she was an MPH student.

novacek88 said:
I fail to understand why statements such as these incite such an emotional response from the MPH graduates on this thread. I'm not putting the MPH down; I'm just not making it something that it isn't. I value the MPH degree and it can only help a student. But in general, the MPH is not an apology for a low GPA. And students who enroll in an MPH thinking that their degree will allow adcoms to forget about their past grades is sadly being mislead. Again, these are just the facts. The MPH can help students gain acceptance into medical school by making them more interesting but they don't rectify a weak academic past.

this whole discussion started because someone poo-pooed the MPH...that's why you see an "emotional response"....it's not like we're coming on here saying the MPH is better than any degree out there...we were putting down our personal experiences with the process and getting an MPH, and someone decided to make it an MPH vs. MS thread...which is stupid, because anything and everything you do well after graduating will help you....which should be obvious.....
and NOTHING is an apology for a low GPA....you got your grades, and that's it....but doing well in any post-graduate work, putting your all into something will show, and will count for a lot...i don't care if you're doing an MPH, post-bacc, or an MS...whatever you do, if you do it well and it interests you, it can only help you....
as for the academic rigour of the MPH, when people say it's not as rigorous, that's what makes me think they really don't know what goes into getting an MPH...besides the fact that there are like a bunch of different MPHs to get... (it isn't one bunch of classes you take, it is broken down into different specializations...e.g. epidemiology, community health, health policy, etc) so obviously some are going to be "lab work" and hard core science (like epi, which, if you think is easy, then i'm sure you got a 45T on the mcat) and some are going to be more peope/community oriented, and involve work with mostly communities (at the other end of the spectrum, community health)....so when people who have never even gotten an MPH spout about it's lack in academic rigour without qualifying what they're saying, it makes me think that they really don't know much about it....and hence can't really talk about it's quality as a degree......that's ALSO why we get so "emotional"....no one likes to have their degree dismissed by someone who doesn't know much about the degree in the first place....

azcomdiddy said:
I haven't served on any adcoms or anything like that. But I do know a ton of people who got their MPH after being rejected from medical school thinking it would improve their chances and it didn't. Two of those people just went to Ross and the other one is applying to some one year postbacs.

and i'll show you a ton of people of who DID get their MPH and got into med school....this kind of info is useless...it all depends on the person and their situation.......