Masters vs. Additional undergrad courses.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewVintage

Born Wild
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To improve your chances to Cdn medical school,
Which would be the most beneficial and looked upon more favorably?

a) redoing courses which you have done badly in? or
b) doing more courses so that your last 2 years are filled with a mix of senior level biology classes and options or
c) doing a masters.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
it depends on what med school you are applying to. Some of the Canadian medical schools (ie. UBC and some of the Ontario schools) will NOT admit you until you are completely finished your Masters degree. The other thing is, many of the med schools look at your first degree no matter what. Even if you've gone and re-done certain courses, they'll average the marks, or they won't look at the second ones. Lastly, if you are just enrolled in courses just to get marks and are not actually working towards a degree, the schools will not count the courses at all. The Masters degree helps, but TRUST ME, do NOT do it just to get into med school cause it's a pin in the ass if you aren't really interested in what you're doing! If you have any Q's let me know, I have been in the same boat, asked the same questions, done the masters degree etc. so PM me if you want!