Master's vs. DIY-post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.305

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated in 2019 with a degree in chemistry and I have been doing a DIY post-bacc. I transferred from a community college to a 4-year university and definitely lacked the maturity and stamina to handle the course work as well I should have. I also had major personal issues that got in the way of school being a top priority i.e. low income, housing instability. Through out this time, I do have over 1000 hrs of research, 1500 hrs of medical assisting at a gny clinic, shadowing multiple specialties, and other community service.

Here's a break down of my calculated AMCAS gpa:
Freshman: cGPA 3.9 || sGPA 3.85 (at cc)
Sophomore: cGPA 3.27 || sGPA 3.0 (at cc)
Junior: cGPA 2.59 || sGPA 2.35(priv 4-year univ)
Senior: cGPA 2.61 || sGPA 2.42 (priv 4-year univ)
Post-bacc: sGPA 3.85 -- 21 credits of upper-level science courses taken at a public 4-year univ. Other than a B my first semester, I have had straight As.

final cGPA: 3.17
final sGPA: 2.99

MCAT: 502 -- I am scheduled to re-take in August and scoring 510 - 512 on my last couple of FLs.

My questions are the following: I have been accepted to a molecular biology master's program at a medical school (Miller), but I understand that my undergrad science GPA is still very low. I am just at the 3.0 cut-off point, so would it be smart to continue the diy post-bacc before I begin this masters? I am literally one more class away from hitting a 3.0 sGPA. Also, would this master's program at Miller SOM be considered an SMP/ be credible proof of my academic competence if I am able to defer and begin in spring rather than fall?

I plan on re-applying in 2022.

Any help is appreciated! thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

“Our program is targeted to students interested in joining the science workforce after a bachelor’s degree in industry, academic, and government labs. The program is also suitable for students who need an additional background in biochemistry and molecular biology to pursue Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. programs after earning an M.S. degree. The program is also useful for students who want to transition into the lab science workforce faster but were not prepared for lab or research hands-on experience during their undergraduate degree. This program allows students to begin their career or be better prepared to apply for Ph.D. program”

Doesn’t seem like it’s a SMP. I wouldn’t waste time with this and keep doing a postbac instead. And for the second part of your question, no, regular masters programs wouldn’t prove that you’re able to handle med school.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I graduated in 2019 with a degree in chemistry and I have been doing a DIY post-bacc. I transferred from a community college to a 4-year university and definitely lacked the maturity and stamina to handle the course work as well I should have. I also had major personal issues that got in the way of school being a top priority i.e. low income, housing instability. Through out this time, I do have over 1000 hrs of research, 1500 hrs of medical assisting at a gny clinic, shadowing multiple specialties, and other community service.

Here's a break down of my calculated AMCAS gpa:
Freshman: cGPA 3.9 || sGPA 3.85 (at cc)
Sophomore: cGPA 3.27 || sGPA 3.0 (at cc)
Junior: cGPA 2.59 || sGPA 2.35(priv 4-year univ)
Senior: cGPA 2.61 || sGPA 2.42 (priv 4-year univ)
Post-bacc: sGPA 3.85 -- 21 credits of upper-level science courses taken at a public 4-year univ. Other than a B my first semester, I have had straight As.

final cGPA: 3.17
final sGPA: 2.99

MCAT: 502 -- I am scheduled to re-take in August and scoring 510 - 512 on my last couple of FLs.

My questions are the following: I have been accepted to a molecular biology master's program at a medical school (Miller), but I understand that my undergrad science GPA is still very low. I am just at the 3.0 cut-off point, so would it be smart to continue the diy post-bacc before I begin this masters? I am literally one more class away from hitting a 3.0 sGPA. Also, would this master's program at Miller SOM be considered an SMP/ be credible proof of my academic competence if I am able to defer and begin in spring rather than fall?

I plan on re-applying in 2022.

Any help is appreciated! thank you in

Just 10ish more credits in your DIY postbac and that's enough reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user