Masters vs. more Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase K 13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of research on the merits of completing a Masters in Medical Science program versus more undergrad, but I have a unique situation that I think warrants additional input: I graduated in May of last year with a Chemistry major/minor in Biophysics. My GPA trend was positive starting from 3.5 my freshman year to a 4.0 my Junior year. The first semester of my senior year I elected to only take 10 credit hours because I could afford to do so and let myself become complacent and earned a 3.1. I learned my lesson and refocussed my last semester. I started off very strong taking 15 hours of all upper level sciences but started having medical issues (reoccurring spontaneous pneumothorax that required surgery after graduating), which significantly impacted my performance and I was lucky to earn a 3.06. Had I been healthy, I would have obtained a 3.6-3.7 continuing my level of performance the first half of the semester. Regardless, I graduated with a 3.5 sGPA and 3.68 cGPA and a negative trend my senior year. If I complete ~20 hours of undergrad between the fall/summer/winter terms, I could improve my sGPA to a ~ 3.6 and cGPA ~ 3.70. So given the circumstances, which path would committees view more favorably?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is that a picture of you? Might want to think about that one.
2. Without MCAT it is difficult to really give advice.
3. Schools don't care about master's gpa for the most part unless it is bad.
4. Your gpa isn't terrible, with a strong MCAT and a well rounded application you could get an MD admission.
5. Good luck.

1. Is that a picture of you? Might want to think about that one.
2. Without MCAT it is difficult to really give advice.
3. Schools don't care about master's gpa for the most part unless it is bad.
4. Your gpa isn't terrible, with a strong MCAT and a well rounded application you could get an MD admission.
5. Good luck.

Right now I'm sitting at a 504, 127/123/128/126 which I know is low. I had a bad CARs section despite it being my highest subscore on all the practices tests I took. I'm retaking it in March and I'm aiming for a 510 which I know I can obtain if I just bring up CARs and slightly improve other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I'm sitting at a 504, 127/123/128/126 which I know is low. I had a bad CARs section despite it being my highest subscore on all the practices tests I took. I'm retaking it in March and I'm aiming for a 510 which I know I can obtain if I just bring up CARs and slightly improve other areas.
The medical master's won't do you many favors with those scores. If you are OK with DO you might hold a good chance. MD chances are about 25% right now unless you have some stellar ECS.

I would also caution you that there is a significant chance you might score lower on the retake. Which would land you in a worse position. When did you take the MCAT ? Have you changed your prep? Are you confident you will score 510?

The medical master's won't do you many favors with those scores. If you are OK with DO you might hold a good chance. MD chances are about 25% right now unless you have some stellar ECS.

I would also caution you that there is a significant chance you might score lower on the retake. Which would land you in a worse position. When did you take the MCAT ? Have you changed your prep? Are you confident you will score 510?

I think I do have some solid ECs ranging from research involvement including a poster/presentation and a NSF grant funded research trip to Barrow, AK, founding a chapter of a health organization and filling a leadership role, founding and filling a student ambassador position for the Physics/Astronomy department, EMT certification with experience, TA for Chemistry and Biophysics labs, humanitarian trip to Nicaragua, Leadership roles in my fraternity, and numerous summer pre med programs conducted by my instate schools. The only thing I lack is a longterm volunteer experience.

I feel very confident in obtaining a higher score and I took the first one Feb 2nd last year. The first time I only took 2-3 practice tests and only allowed 6 weeks of prep. This time around I've doubled the amount of time I dedicated to prep with a refined approach and am going to take 10-14 practice tests. I've also covered and solidified more of the material in undergrad courses. Even if I just improve my CARs section to the level of the other scores I'm looking at a 508 and with my renewed strategy I know I can improve the other sections too.

I think I do have some solid ECs ranging from research involvement including a poster/presentation and a NSF grant funded research trip to Barrow, AK, founding a chapter of a health organization and filling a leadership role, founding and filling a student ambassador position for the Physics/Astronomy department, EMT certification with experience, TA for Chemistry and Biophysics labs, humanitarian trip to Nicaragua, Leadership roles in my fraternity, and numerous summer pre med programs conducted by my instate schools. The only thing I lack is a longterm volunteer experience.

I feel very confident in obtaining a higher score and I took the first one Feb 2nd last year. The first time I only took 2-3 practice tests and only allowed 6 weeks of prep. This time around I've doubled the amount of time I dedicated to prep with a refined approach and am going to take 10-14 practice tests. I've also covered and solidified more of the material in undergrad courses. Even if I just improve my CARs section to the level of the other scores I'm looking at a 508 and with my renewed strategy I know I can improve the other sections too.
Then you have your answer.

Along with scoring higher on the MCAT, I'd find a place to volunteer where you're helping a disadvantaged population, asap. ADCOMs rate that as highly favorable, with most schools rating it as more important than research. You have to show your altruism.

Also the humanitarian trip to Nicaragua may not be given very much weight depending on what you were doing there. Definitely try to find something local.

Reactions: 1 users
So just to clarify, you would take more undergraduate courses versus the masters program given an improvement in the MCAT.
There is little value to be had from the MS besides debt. Your gpa is passable.

Your MCAT is holding you back right now.

I don't even think you need to take more classes.

I live in KY, which I know helps my case since we have two MD and one DO.

I just want to make sure I continue to improve my chances after I take my MCAT. I know my GPA's are "passable", but I want to completely reassure the committees about that senior year trend and some form of classes I think would help, even if its minor.

I'm also already in the process of securing a volunteer position, like tessellations said, to start when I finish my MCAT. The Nicaraguan trip was through Global brigades and the main focus was staffing and operating a medical clinic along with other infrastructure improvements. So I think it would be hold some significance.