Match 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and start it, OldPsychDoc.

I'm thrilled to say I matched at my #1 choice, the Mayo Clinic!

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA! Helloooooooo good weather! And hoping I can meet some classmates-to-be!

Congrats, Psychelle, I heard Mayo is awesome!

Psychelle, Bunny: change that SDN status, you crazy residents.

Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I took a prematch at Maimonides in Brooklyn. I am very happy as well. After ten years out of medicine, it is kind of like an oasis in the desert.

California Pacific Medical Center! :D

I can't wait to move back to the Bay Area!

HCE, I giggled like a drunken schoolgirl at your post! I think this is what being manic feels like! But I think I'm gonna wait till graduation to change my status...I'm absurdly superstitious about these sort of things. But on a related note, Dr. Bagel, I think there's something on your 'to do' list that needs to be ticked off.

The prediction about OHSU having a banner year is coming to fruition!

Also, does anyone know if there's any way to see all the match results on NRMP?

HCE, I giggled like a drunken schoolgirl at your post! I think this is what being manic feels like! But I think I'm gonna wait till graduation to change my status...I'm absurdly superstitious about these sort of things. But on a related note, Dr. Bagel, I think there's something on your 'to do' list that needs to be ticked off.

The prediction about OHSU having a banner year is coming to fruition!

Also, does anyone know if there's any way to see all the match results on NRMP?

here you go Bunny http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2010.pdf

Matched at my #7 at UCLA-SFV. Some mixed feelings, but happy to be going home. Sophie, congrats. Take care of that place!

We got #2 Scott & White. Time to start looking for apartments/rentals in Temple. Congrats all!

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla-kern. does anyone know anything about this program?

Should be very cheap; might as well buy.

Buying is absolutely out of the question. Buying is a huge waste of money unless you're planning on staying long term... and we're not.

We made the mistake of buying during her med school training and we will not be doing that again until we're sure we're staying somewhere long term.

Matched at Stanford!
My #1 choice :luck:

Congrats to everyone!!!

and good luck to all the non-MD spouses/SO looking for their match in the coming months!

More good news, my spouse got a job offer in Palo Alto today too :)

My #2, Harvard Longwood!!!!!!!! I'm thrilled.

I got Harvard Longwood, too! My #1! I'm so excited!

Matched at Cincinnati! First Choice!!!

Matched at my #1: University of Oklahoma. Ranked it number one for family reasons though, so still having a bit of mixed feelings about it. Congrats everyone!

Matched at my #1 : Dartmouth!!!

#3 UMDNJ-Newark

An honor!!!

Buying is absolutely out of the question. Buying is a huge waste of money unless you're planning on staying long term... and we're not.

We made the mistake of buying during her med school training and we will not be doing that again until we're sure we're staying somewhere long term.

Actually this time period may be an exception. It really depends on just how bottomed out you think the market is at this point and how fast a rise you can expect. I'm still on the fence about that. I'm not up with all the Temple specifics, but meh.

Matched at my #1: University of Oklahoma. Ranked it number one for family reasons though, so still having a bit of mixed feelings about it. Congrats everyone!

Well at least you know the second years you'll be working with are an extremely solid bunch. How many in your class ended up going psych in the end?

Matched at UAB, my #4. very happy as I really could't decide how to rank the top 4 programs in my list. Out of the 4 it was the closest to where I live, and it has the best reputation as well.

Actually this time period may be an exception. It really depends on just how bottomed out you think the market is at this point and how fast a rise you can expect. I'm still on the fence about that. I'm not up with all the Temple specifics, but meh.

I look at it from the perspective of a financial professional (I'm a CPA... bleh). You can never time the market so it's a moot point and from a financial perspective renting is always better over a short time period vs. buying. It's arguable whether buying is better than renting overall but we're eventually going to buy just not in Temple.

I think we lost Red Beard to IM.

Einstein-Montefiore, my #1! anyone else match at monte?

bunnycat i think i remember meeting you and your sig other from my penn interview (your bf was asking me about living in LA). Congrats to you both you will love UCLA! :)

Matched at UAB, my #4. very happy as I really could't decide how to rank the top 4 programs in my list. Out of the 4 it was the closest to where I live, and it has the best reputation as well.

Awesome, congrats! We have a great program with some wonderful residents and attendings.

And PM me if you're interested in buying a loft or a 2001 Honda Accord. ;)

Well at least you know the second years you'll be working with are an extremely solid bunch. How many in your class ended up going psych in the end?

Yeah, the residents are really the program's strongest selling point, no complaints there! Just having the occasional doubt about whether or not I should have gone to a more academic-oriented program for future fellowship purposes, but trying to ignore them because I can't change it and it was a good decision family-wise. Anyway, including the Tulsa folks, we had 10 match into psych, 1 match into family-psych, and 1 unmatched who's still trying to scramble into psych. So not quite as crazy as last year but still a pretty strong showing. Only 3/4 of this years interns are from OU, so it's ever-so-slightly less inbred than last year ;)

Man I just need to get my hands on OU's match list for the year. I'm super curious about all you youngins and where you ended up. I know none of you ended up here. Surprisingly since we interviewed more from OU than any other school than CU.

Also headed to OHSU. :D

All that's left is that pesky last 2 weeks of subI...

Yeah, the residents are really the program's strongest selling point, no complaints there! Just having the occasional doubt about whether or not I should have gone to a more academic-oriented program for future fellowship purposes, but trying to ignore them because I can't change it and it was a good decision family-wise. Anyway, including the Tulsa folks, we had 10 match into psych, 1 match into family-psych, and 1 unmatched who's still trying to scramble into psych. So not quite as crazy as last year but still a pretty strong showing. Only 3/4 of this years interns are from OU, so it's ever-so-slightly less inbred than last year ;)

Do you mean 3 out of 4 are from OU. What about 4-th guy (girl)? IMG? No, no way

You have to buy a place that has good appreciation potential. Given current market conditions, it shouldn't be too hard. 4 years is a long time to throw money down the drain on rent.

Man I just need to get my hands on OU's match list for the year. I'm super curious about all you youngins and where you ended up. I know none of you ended up here. Surprisingly since we interviewed more from OU than any other school than CU.

Yeah, weird. At my Colorado interview, there were 3 Oklahoma people. One of the 3 decided to go into FM, though. The other ranked you all #1 but didn't match.

You have to buy a place that has good appreciation potential. Given current market conditions, it shouldn't be too hard. 4 years is a long time to throw money down the drain on rent.

I think I've hijacked this thread enough and there are plent of these discussion's available on SDN already:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699310&highlight=buy

I tend to agree with reply #23.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=701307&highlight=buy

Rent is hardly throwing money down the drain. The home maintenance costs, transaction costs (closing, realtors fees, etc.), etc. is throwing money down the drain when you're not stating in one place long enough to recoup those costs through appreciation (if you ever really well). Also, trying to assess appreciation rates is akin to reading a crystal ball.

Feel free to do what you want but if I had a client who was only living in a place for 3-5 years I would most definitely recommend that they rent.

I think I've hijacked this thread enough and there are plent of these discussion's available on SDN already:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699310&highlight=buy

I tend to agree with reply #23.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=701307&highlight=buy

Rent is hardly throwing money down the drain. The home maintenance costs, transaction costs (closing, realtors fees, etc.), etc. is throwing money down the drain when you're not stating in one place long enough to recoup those costs through appreciation (if you ever really well). Also, trying to assess appreciation rates is akin to reading a crystal ball.

Feel free to do what you want but if I had a client who was only living in a place for 3-5 years I would most definitely recommend that they rent.

That's probably why you're a CPA and not a CFA. I guess reasonable minds can disagree.