Match 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) I'm referring specifically to number of students applying to Psych vs. number of new positions startings
2) The chart shows the TOTAL # of applicants (including US IMG and NON-US IMG, which make up a SUBSTANTIAL number of the applicant pool).

There will NEVER be enough positions to accomodate every US MD, DO, Canadian, US IMG, and ALL the international Physicians from ALL over the world who apply to the US to all have a residency spot. It's ridiculous.
Although you're right that the number of psych spots continues to be greater than the number of US MD's applying to psych, the overall trend is even more dramatic than the summary trend for the entire match. That is, there was an increase in psych spots of ~30% but an increase in US MD psych applicants of ~70% over the last 5 years along with an increase in # applications per USMD of 50%. You're basically just ignoring all of the ample, easy to google, available data if you're trying to somehow claim that the number of psych spots is increasing at any rate similar to the number of "competitive"/domestic applicants. IMG applications have actually decreased.

Although you're right that the number of psych spots continues to be greater than the number of US MD's applying to psych, the overall trend is even more dramatic than the summary trend for the entire match. That is, there was an increase in psych spots of ~30% but an increase in US MD psych applicants of ~70% over the last 5 years along with an increase in # applications per USMD of 50%. You're basically just ignoring all of the ample, easy to google, available data if you're trying to somehow claim that the number of psych spots is increasing at any rate similar to the number of "competitive"/domestic applicants. IMG applications have actually decreased.

Psychiatry (Categorical) (2017)1,495 / 923 (2016) 1,384 / 850 (2015) 1,353 / 774 (2014) 1,322 / 685 (2013) 1,297 / 681 Here are the values of total number of slots available per year compared to number of USMD's who matched. My main point was to show compared to 2016 the number of slots have kept up with the demand, and I didn't bother with previous years (especially 5 years ago) b/c that was not an issue before. Don't know what I'm ignoring here exactly. What got me thinking about the number of spot increase was the SIGNIFICANT jump in slots from 2016 to 2017, combined with seeing the number of new Psych programs coming in next year:

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/R...entYear=2018&SpecialtyId=&AcademicYearId=2017

My prediction is that the number of Psych applicants will not be rising at this rate in the next few years, but the number of spots is continuing to increase? Why? BECAUSE WE NEED more Psychiatrists as well as the fact that it is one of the easiest residencies to start up. The reason we see the competitive nature of Derm, let's say, is because we don't need that many dermatologists. But Psych is continually being propagated as one of the highest shortages nationwide, so more residency programs will be developed AND the government is paying off loans for Psych grads just as they do for PCP grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychiatry (Categorical) (2017)1,495 / 923 (2016) 1,384 / 850 (2015) 1,353 / 774 (2014) 1,322 / 685 (2013) 1,297 / 681 Here are the values of total number of slots available per year compared to number of USMD's who matched. My main point was to show compared to 2016 the number of slots have kept up with the demand, and I didn't bother with previous years (especially 5 years ago) b/c that was not an issue before. Don't know what I'm ignoring here exactly. What got me thinking about the number of spot increase was the SIGNIFICANT jump in slots from 2016 to 2017, combined with seeing the number of new Psych programs coming in next year:

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/R...entYear=2018&SpecialtyId=&AcademicYearId=2017

My prediction is that the number of Psych applicants will not be rising at this rate in the next few years, but the number of spots is continuing to increase? Why? BECAUSE WE NEED more Psychiatrists as well as the fact that it is one of the easiest residencies to start up. The reason we see the competitive nature of Derm, let's say, is because we don't need that many dermatologists. But Psych is continually being propagated as one of the highest shortages nationwide, so more residency programs will be developed AND the government is paying off loans for Psych grads just as they do for PCP grads.
The ratio of spots to matched US MD's has gone from 1.9 in 2013 to 1.62 in 2017. The number of USMG (MD and DO) applicants has gone from 1449 to 1879 (more than one US applicant per spot.) The number of USMG will continue to increase by around 100 each year (that's maybe 10 new psych applicants per year outside of changing preferences?) with all of the new med school openings.

Actually, I didn't have the exact number of psych spots at my fingertips earlier. It's clear why so many people didn't match this year. There weren't even enough spots for all US grad applicants (MD+DO) last year, even if you discount a huge proportion of backup/safety and "unmatchable" applicants.

That said, I don't think your forecasting is unreasonable and I'm not sure that things will continue to get more competitive.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure what the difference is between # of applicants in http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf as compared to https://www.aamc.org/download/358832/data/psychiatry.pdf; I'm currently attributing part of it to DO's (they define US Seniors as allo grads in the nrmp document) but I think the other part is people who applied but did not get any interviews / submit a rank list for the specialty.

Last edited:
The ratio of spots to matched US MD's has gone from 1.9 in 2013 to 1.62 in 2017. The number of USMG (MD and DO) applicants has gone from 1449 to 1879 (more than one US applicant per spot.) The number of USMG will continue to increase by around 100 each year (that's maybe 10 new psych applicants per year outside of changing preferences?) with all of the new med school openings.

Actually, I didn't have the exact number of psych spots at my fingertips earlier. It's clear why so many people didn't match this year. There weren't even enough spots for all US grad applicants (MD+DO) last year, even if you discount a huge proportion of backup/safety and "unmatchable" applicants.

That said, I don't think your forecasting is unreasonable and I'm not sure that things will continue to get more competitive.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure what the difference is between # of applicants in http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf as compared to https://www.aamc.org/download/358770/data/emergencymed.pdf ; I'm currently attributing part of it to DO's (they define US Seniors as allo grads in the nrmp document) but I think the other part is people who applied but did not get any interviews / submit a rank list for the specialty.

There were 1,067 USMD applicants for the 1,495 spots last year. Definitely more spots than applicants. Also, 239 DO applicants. So 1,306 total USMD + DO applications. 923 USMD + 185 DO's matched = 1,108. Not sure where you got your 1449 and 1879 figures from.

Also your second link is for Emergency Med, not sure if that was an accident or not.

There were 1,067 USMD applicants for the 1,495 spots last year. Definitely more spots than applicants. Also, 239 DO applicants. So 1,306 total USMD + DO applications. 923 USMD + 185 DO's matched = 1,108. Not sure where you got your 1449 and 1879 figures from.

Also your second link is for Emergency Med, not sure if that was an accident or not.
Sorry, the second link is what those numbers were from, it's the numbers of total applicants for psychiatry by ERAS: https://www.aamc.org/download/358832/data/psychiatry.pdf

Hence my discussion of the difference between what ERAS sees and what NRMP sees (active applicant = rank order list.)

Reactions: 1 user
You're right! That's really strange... I've never seen this chart until now.
I hadn't noticed the preliminary data tables ERAS Statistics - ERAS - Services - AAMC. 2065 USG's this year up from 1809 last year according to the same table (I think they have slightly shifting definitions of US applicants between different documents.)

1. Yes, DO programs are sadly secondary to MD ones. For some programs it doesn't matter to much, for many it has some impact.

2. There were 6 openings in SOAP last year, 16 this year, but apparently one program (6 spots) did not submit a list in time and thus entered SOAP.

3. Reaching is definitely an issue, especially as a DO where you may not be accepted. I screened schools by checking the composition of their residents.

4. Someone in our program was a former FM resident. So it can happen.

5. You should take the USMLE Step 1 at least. It helps puts things in perspective and it was mentioned on my interviews. You should have your CK/CS scores ideally before ERAS deadline date, and definitely before programs rank.

What? Some program pulled a Columbia**????

Anyone have any info to verify this or is this just part of the usual rumor mill?

Last edited:
What? Some program pulled a Cornell????

Anyone have any info to verify this or is this just part of the usual rumor mill?
If you're referring to the notorious CT surgery mistake, that was Columbia, not Cornell.

I thought per discussion here that there was a new program planning to soap all their applicants, which accounts for a block of spots in the same program in soap, not that they forgot to put in a list.

If you're referring to the notorious CT surgery mistake, that was Columbia, not Cornell.

And I thought per discussion here that there was a new program planning to soap all their applicants, which accounts for a block of spots in the same program in soap, not that they forgot to put in a list.

I was referring to Columbia, ty for catching that (Sorry Cornell).

Idk, I just read the post and was surprised another program would be that careless.

My impression was that this was a newly accredited program (as in, so new that they couldn't interview anyone in time).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck tomorrow everyone! Excited to see where y'all end up. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Feeling like :confused::eek::bag::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::wideyed::soexcited:and even :barf:in no particular order.

Reactions: 5 users
Damn this year seemed particularly brutal... had I been two years later I never would have even gotten into residency...

There's a reddit thread on /r/medicalschool that is just absolutely heartbreaking.

My impression was that this was a newly accredited program (as in, so new that they couldn't interview anyone in time).
Yup. It was intentional and not another Columbia CT surg incident. Also, made up half of the 12 spots available psych spots in SOAP this year.

I didn't think that programs that didn't qualify to participate in the match could join SOAP. I posted about the Broadlawns program earlier, but I believe they filled before the match even happened because they couldn't participate in either. Regardless, I do hope it wasn't because someone forgot to submit their rank list, as that's awful for both them and those who ranked them highly.

I matched at my #1 !!
I am honestly in shock. Even with all my failures and “red flags”, they still liked me! I am speechless.

Reactions: 12 users
just to add another anecdotal data point in regards to psych competitiveness, have a friend who just matched into one of this top 2-3 programs with comlex only.

I matched at my #1 !!
I am honestly in shock. Even with all my failures and “red flags”, they still liked me! I am speechless.
you-like-me.jpg

I matched to my #1 and I'm so grateful, I'm going to a wonderful program and also going home after many years being hundreds of miles away.

But it is also clear that at my well-ranked MD school, many of my psych classmates fell much further down their lists than they ever expected to (or were told they were likely to). I think they're all wonderful and they are going to be wonderful psychiatrists, but as another point of anecdata, it definitely argues for psych getting more competitive. Of course it's impossible to be sure until we see the actual hard data later this year.

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations, you guys! I matched at my 11th of 12 ranked programs. Adjusting to the news still, but I’m counting my blessings because I have red flags and it seems I easily could have been one of the 5 people at my USMD school that surprised everyone by going unmatched in psych this year. I am lucky to be going to a University program in a beautiful location that is often referenced as a “hidden gem” for its work-life balance.

Matched 9th out of 9. Zero red flags on my app, but only applied in the Northeast as a DO. Newer program with a brutal, old-school schedule (80 hour weeks, q4 call, etc). To say I'm sad would be an understatement.

Matched 9th out of 9. Zero red flags on my app, but only applied in the Northeast as a DO. Newer program with a brutal, old-school schedule (80 hour weeks, q4 call, etc). To say I'm sad would be an understatement.
Sorry to hear it man. Seems like the Northeast was particularly competitive this year. But I'm sure you can make the best of it and be a great resident once you accept the outcome.

The NE as a DO is tough, but you matched. You are on pace to be a psychiatrist (best job ever) that can work anywhere in the USA. In some aspects, you are in great shape.

Reactions: 1 users

Misery loves company maybe? I matched at 13th place out of 14 ranked. Shocked to say the least but at the end of the day thankful that I have somewhere to go next year...

Congrats everyone! I matched my #1 UTSW. Definitely ready for residency to start. We still have a long road ahead, so good look.

Reactions: 7 users

Just be happy you matched! It may seem tough with the call schedule, but you will be better prepared and more suited to take on anything. You will learn to enjoy your job and your working with your patients. Trust me, as a 3rd year, I can tell you that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

No one from my school matched above #4 for psych. 2/10 unmatched so I'm trying to be grateful. Also, I am closer to family so I am trying to remind myself of that.

If I could go back in time, I'd rank the smaller and or community programs at home over the more well known programs. The rank of my match program isn't giving me the same satisfaction as going home would be. I did this to myself.

I matched my #4 and have felt in shock ever since opening that envelope. I thought I was very competitive. Everyone told me so. On the trail, PDs told me my app was awesome and I could go where my heart desired. I'm AOA, USMD, psych research and only wanted to do psych from the beginning, no red flags, and got strong interviews. My top 2 and 3 were not even that competitive (BIDMC and Brown). I seriously have no idea why 3 programs passed on me and it cuts deep. Especially because my #3 even wrote my a detailed love letter with phrases such as "outstanding" and "one of the best" candidates after they wrapped up interviews. I also feel so ashamed because all the other AOA kids at my school matched so well. One of them got the exact program I wanted. I just feel dead inside. Felt like all that hard work and reassurances I'd match well meant nothing.

I didn't even get the geographical location I wanted. The place I matched I fear will hold me back from doing a successful private practice on either east or west coast after I'm done. Is there any way I can transfer out? I know it probably never happens.

Last edited:
I matched my #4 and have felt in shock ever since opening that envelope. I thought I was very competitive. Everyone told me so. On the trail, PDs told me my app was awesome and I could go where my heart desired. I'm AOA, USMD, psych research and only wanted to do psych from the beginning, no red flags, and got strong interviews. My top 2 and 3 were not even that competitive (BIDMC and Brown). I seriously have no idea why 3 programs passed on me and it cuts deep. Especially because my #3 even wrote my a detailed love letter with phrases such as "outstanding" and "one of the best" candidates after they wrapped out interviews. I also feel so ashamed because all the other AOA kids at my school matched so well. One of them got the exact program I wanted. I just feel dead inside. Felt like all that hard work and reassurances I'd match well meant nothing.

Not to dismiss your complaints, but at the end of the day, who cares - you matched, I suspect you are going to go to a great program, and you will still be a psychiatrist. Take the hit on the ego, mourn your losses, and look forward to becoming a psychiatrist.

This year was not fun for for psych applicants, especially in the Northeast. All will be well in the end.

Last edited:
Is this the new normal for psych? Or was this year an abberation? I one that's an impossible question to answer... But is it possible that the difficulty of matching can easily change year to year within one speciality?

I'm going to try to consolidate the advice of the seasoned attendings and residents already posted here.

I matched at my #3. I am ecstatic and still experiencing elation that I matched at all. There are so many excellent applicants who didn't match... think about that for a moment. These people are not going to be Psychiatrists. That sucks infinitely more than moving down your list. At the end of the day, there will be superficial variations in training from Program A to Program B, but your program is following standards set forth by the ACGME so how different are the programs, really?

Still wish you could be involved with that program that passed on you? Set up time to work there during your PGY4 electives. Network, do research, go to conferences, meet friends who will ultimately give you a fellowship or job offer at this dream locale. This is Psychiatry, the world is yours for the taking if you work hard enough and actually give a damn about your patients.

I'm not trying to minimize the bruised ego because I know it might feel terrible, but close your eyes and picture your practice/job in 15 years from now.. you are going into the best field in medicine and get to live your dream. Residency is only 4 years, but your specialty is for the rest of your life and by matching Psychiatry you secured the rest of your life. We made it guys! Cheer up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Is this the new normal for psych? Or was this year an abberation? I one that's an impossible question to answer... But is it possible that the difficulty of matching can easily change year to year within one speciality?

I don't think it's possible to know what the new normal. I think all specialities are becoming more competitive as the number of DO schools increases.

Id be nervous if I was an IMG wanting psych. The number of US grads going into psych will probably keep increasing, either because of increased interest or simply more medical students. And many (not all) of the lower ranked programs that would otherwise go to IMGs or USMDs with red flags often seem to just want FMGs who are ready to go day 1 rather than someone you have to train. I could be wrong about this.

I know this is a safe space and all, but it's hard to read all these complaints about matching at programs low on your rank list. You are going to be psychiatrists. If I could somehow convince myself that I'd have been happy as a family doc in Tulsa (the "Paris of Oklahoma" per 1 resident), you'll be okay. It takes time.

I am sorry if my post contributed to you feeling this way, that was not my intention. Thank you for the added perspective. I have close friends who were so passionate about the field and didn't match. Neither of them SOAPed into anything. It's heartbreaking for all of us.

I shared my story to in part to vent and in part to reach to those who are grieving this year, for whatever reason. This was a hard year and none of us should place our worth on the match outcome.

I see a lot of people quite sad about not matching where they wanted, as if the places you wanted to go didn't want you. As someone involved in the match this year as an interviewer and in ranking, I just want to say that it's likely not that programs didn't want you. If you knew what goes into these decisions, how close all the applicants are, how incredibly difficult it is to rank one above or below another, you'd know that there's nothing wrong with you. It was competitive and just because a place you ranked first didn't rank you first doesn't mean they didn't think very highly of you and that they wouldn't have been elated if you had matched with them.

Reactions: 11 users
I matched my #4 and have felt in shock ever since opening that envelope. I thought I was very competitive. Everyone told me so. On the trail, PDs told me my app was awesome and I could go where my heart desired. I'm AOA, USMD, psych research and only wanted to do psych from the beginning, no red flags, and got strong interviews. My top 2 and 3 were not even that competitive (BIDMC and Brown). I seriously have no idea why 3 programs passed on me and it cuts deep. Especially because my #3 even wrote my a detailed love letter with phrases such as "outstanding" and "one of the best" candidates after they wrapped up interviews. I also feel so ashamed because all the other AOA kids at my school matched so well. One of them got the exact program I wanted. I just feel dead inside. Felt like all that hard work and reassurances I'd match well meant nothing.

I didn't even get the geographical location I wanted. The place I matched I fear will hold me back from doing a successful private practice on either east or west coast after I'm done. Is there any way I can transfer out? I know it probably never happens.

I would not be worried about your ability to practice where you want. The match can change in competitiveness, but it has done nothing to overall job market for psychiatrists. Residency is still the bottleneck, the psychiatry workforce is still one of the oldest, and there is no reason to think that the job market for psychiatry will have noticeably worsened by the time we graduate. The area where I'm from (a fairly wealthy, lovely rural-suburban suburb of a major coastal city) is desperate for psychiatrists and I know for a fact that the medical director would not blink at hiring from reputable residency programs anywhere in the country.

In a worst case, fellowship is always another option for adding another name to your resume and those same economic forces are likely to keep psychiatry residencies relatively noncompetitive.

For Private Practice, you have nothing to worry about. Marketing yourself has MUCH more to do with where you went, and yea you might think that that helps with marketing, but in the long run it's your quality of work and patient referrals that's going to build you up. Be good at what you do and you'll be successful. I'm from LA and I see all too much the people who are IMG's/FMG's that are killing it in private practice, while those who went to top name residencies get employed at UCLA. Guess who makes more? If you're trying to go for something academic, you're right. But for private practice it's all on your quality of work, passion, and persistence in what you do that will build your practice up. Most of the public doesn't know what a residency name means unless it says Harvard or a local, well established hospital to where you're working at. Even then, most ppl don't do residency at those places and they're doing just fine.

I'm going to step out on a limb and say that Yes, this is the New Normal--for now at least, until the pendulum swings back again. Anyone watching the application and matching trends the past three years could have seen it building up to this. You folks are just the generation that got caught out in the thunderstorm without your umbrella.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who matched! As someone five years out, I know the sting of not matching where you thought you would. I matched at my #2 after my #1 told me things that reassured me I would match there. I had a WTF moment when I opened the envelope, for sure. Looking back now, I feel absolutely blessed to have matched to my #2 and believe I ended up with a more well-rounded experience than I would have gotten at my #1. I have the feeling many of you may end up with the same experience, and at the other end you will all be psychiatrists with the doors to so many amazing settings thrown open to you! Take some time to stop and smell the roses between now and July, when you will get your first taste of real practice :).

For those who didn't match (or didn't get your desired specialty), you have my deep sympathy. It's hard to imagine what you are going through now. I hope, as others have mentioned, you don't take that as a reflection on your self-worth. I also hope that in five years, you can look back and say that everything ultimately worked out much better than you would have imagined in this moment.

I know people who graduated from community programs and are making 500k in private practice. I also know people from known academic programs making 160k in academics.

I see a lot of people quite sad about not matching where they wanted, as if the places you wanted to go didn't want you. As someone involved in the match this year as an interviewer and in ranking, I just want to say that it's likely not that programs didn't want you. If you knew what goes into these decisions, how close all the applicants are, how incredibly difficult it is to rank one above or below another, you'd know that there's nothing wrong with you. It was competitive and just because a place you ranked first didn't rank you first doesn't mean they didn't think very highly of you and that they wouldn't have been elated if you had matched with them.

I second this. In our program, there was no discernible difference (on paper) in the first 10 people. Great board scores, great experience, great people with no red flags. Same with number 11-25. The margin for error is so small. I will say that make sure you go out of your way to be delightful for everyone... there were people that came off rude, indifferent, or dismissive at some point, even if it was just a side convo with a resident during the lunch portion of interview day. It was the difference that led to someone being ranked lower. Perhaps this was overlooked when the circumstances were different, I’m not sure. So, if you had great interviews... but did that, you sabotaged your experience and might not realize it and ended up unmatched. The ranking faculty are humans too. Many great folks matched and many who would’ve been amazing are hopefully happily practicing somewhere else. Sadly, some may not have matched.

I know people who graduated from community programs and are making 500k in private practice. I also know people from known academic programs making 160k in academics.

Familiar with the old adage that goes: bottom third of your med school class will make the most money, middle third will make the best doctors, and top third will place academics above patients and money.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to step out on a limb and say that Yes, this is the New Normal--for now at least, until the pendulum swings back again. Anyone watching the application and matching trends the past three years could have seen it building up to this. You folks are just the generation that got caught out in the thunderstorm without your umbrella.
As a lowly first year watching the lightning strike, what do you recommend as a an appropriate lightning rod?