MATCH and pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

French student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a french student and I'm intersted to go in United States after my studies in France. Concerning what it is necessary before the MATCH, I know I need to pass the Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3. But I don't know how you do the choice of the specialty in US : in France, the classification after the examination of the students, and the choice of the specialty, is a classification for all the french students and not a classification for each university. I want to know if the classification to the MATCH in US is a classification by university, by state or for all the students of the United States.

I am intersted by the pathology (in France the name is "biology") and this specialty is not sought by the students (the students prefer radiology or dermatology for example) so it's not very difficult to choose this specialty, so I want to know if this specialty is also "forsaken" by the students (in France all the stations of this specialty and the other specialties are provided, but these stations are not choosen by the best students (in 2004 the latest station of biology has been choice by a student classified approximately 2600 / 5000 candidates).

Thank you for your answers :) !

Members don't see this ad.

French student said:
this specialty is not sought by the students (the students prefer radiology or dermatology for example)

:laugh: Comment vous dites "gunner" en Francais?

In les Etats-Unis, we choose our specialty of choice, then rank the programs we wish to attend in the order we like. Then we are matched to one. It has nothing to do with class rank or where we go to school, although students who do better in school will often be ranked higher by the programs. In america though, les vraiment brilliant go into pathology. ;)

yaah said:
:laugh: Comment vous dites "gunner" en Francais?

In les Etats-Unis, we choose our specialty of choice, then rank the programs we wish to attend in the order we like. Then we are matched to one. It has nothing to do with class rank or where we go to school, although students who do better in school will often be ranked higher by the programs. In america though, les vraiment brilliant go into pathology. ;)

Je ne suis pas brilliant. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
French student said:

Hello

French student said:
I am intersted by the pathology (in France the name is "biology") and this specialty is not sought by the students (the students prefer radiology or dermatology for example) so it's not very difficult to choose this specialty, so I want to know if this specialty is also "forsaken" by the students

Here it's actually the opposite. The students who don't make it into pathology or "biology" are stuck with choosing other specialties. Those who came the closest to matching into pathology usually go into dermatology or radiology, while those who were far from matching, have to enter psychiatry or neurology.

Pathology "forsaken"? That's good stuff. I feel that way about internal medicine: Yep, I forsake internal medicine... :laugh:

Thank you for your answers !

In les Etats-Unis, we choose our specialty of choice, then rank the programs we wish to attend in the order we like. Then we are matched to one. It has nothing to do with class rank or where we go to school, although students who do better in school will often be ranked higher by the programs.

I don't understand very well : you say that the choice of the specialty doesn't depends of your rank at the examination :eek: ??? I don't understand why do you pass the match if it's not to obtain a good classification ? What you call the program, it's a computer who indicates wich student make the first choice, the second choice ... ? Anyone can choose the specialty that he want independantly of the results to the MATCH (or other results that he has obtained during the medical studies) ? For example, the last student, the worst of the worst at all the examinations including the MATCH can choice the best specialties (I think it's that the American Dream :cool: ). The program indicate who does the first choice of specialty by chance ?

Excuse me for my dificulties to understand it but apparently it's very different of the french system.

French student said:
Thank you for your answers !

I don't understand very well : you say that the choice of the specialty doesn't depends of your rank at the examination :eek: ??? I don't understand why do you pass the match if it's not to obtain a good classification ? What you call the program, it's a computer who indicates wich student make the first choice, the second choice ... ? Excuse me for my dificulties to understand it but apparently it's very different of the french system.

If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like the French system is similar to what the US service academies do.. there are a certain number of available slots in programs, and first choice is given according to your grades/exam scores.. the selection proceeds down the list in order of your class rank. So the programs themselves have very little or no input on who they end up with. Wow... American PD's wouldn't stand for that.

Bienvenue au SDN!

The Match is not an examination - it is a way for all the universities and all the students in the country (or who are interested in coming to the United States to train) to come together in one system (via computer) to decide which student goes where.

We the students have to apply to the specialty that we want, at the university that we want.

Some specialties like dermatology/radiology are more competitive than other specialties. I think this is true in many countries.

The universities offering the specialty-training will invite the students for interviews based on the applications.

The applications will include information such as examination results, and recommendation letters from doctors who have worked with the student.

After the interview, each student will rank the universities they want to go to, and each university will rank the students they want to accept. This ranking is put into a computer, and the computer tries to give both the student and the university a good result that they both like, which is why it is called the "Match".

So the student's choice of specialty definitely depends on their previous examination results.

I hope that helps you :)

French student,

I hope you are still here, because I have a question for you:

I took this picture of the RER ligne B in Paris - does the word "ewok" mean anything significant en Francais?
Why do Parisians name their trains "ewok"?

ewok.jpg

Because it's "ewok"