Match chances-Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeVeeZee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
l know most of the people hate these kinds of posts on here lol and I also hope that it’s in the right thread — apologize in advance.

At this point I have had 10 interviews in anesthesia. So I guess it’s way more competitive this year compared to previous years according to number of apps and what not.

I am a DO with average to above avg board scores

According to charting outcomes my chances appear good for matching >95%. I guess my question is, does being a more competitive year mean that I should be more worried even tho I recieved 10 interviews or that getting the interviews is the competitive part. I imagine it’s a combination of both but curious for people to weigh in with their thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

One of two things happened: an increase in the number of apps led to programs interviewing more applicants; or it did not. In the first scenario, you might have a statistically slightly lower chance to match, but still very good. In the second scenario, your odds would be unchanged.

I only go through that exercise because you seem very fixated on numbers, and the bottom line is that regardless, if there is any change at all in your odds it isn't a large or meaningful one. Nobody knows which scenario is the case, but regardless you have a very very high chance of matching with 10 interviews. If you need someone to come out and tell you that you 100% will match, then you're in for a long 3 months of waiting...

Reactions: 1 user