Match Day 2020 Event Cancellations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks WildWing for putting this together. Here is another link to Match Day status for all schools.

So where is this data from? Because finding out that 1-2 students from your institution are “rumored” to have COVID on SDN is a mood.
tenor.gif

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I suppose the moral of the story is to try and appreciate what you have and live in the moment. Everyone always told us that 4th year was the "best" year and in some respects the reward for the work that came before it. Maybe that's true for some people but for me it was certainly the most stressful. Step 2, several high-stakes Sub-Is, constant travel and isolation at the cost of thousands of dollars, going right into the mandatory EM rotation, and then hopefully rounding out the year with some sim labs, talks on how to be a good intern, and then the celebrations that come at the end of 4th year. Now, that's all over and as it strange as it sounds I'm probably never going to see 99% of my class ever again, and we don't get any celebration or vacation at the end of it all. We used to take these quizzes M1 year where everyone would have to sit in the same lecture hall and it was absolutely annoying at the time but now it would be nice to do that and see the class one last time.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
So where is this data from? Because finding out that 1-2 students from your institution are “rumored” to have COVID on SDN is a mood.
tenor.gif
Same with that my next rotation is cancelled when it isnt?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not that sad about the celebrations getting cancelled. A very unpopular sentiment, I know. I'm just excited to match.

I've even seen residents planning "Covid parties", which is not only tone deaf but truly runs the risk of putting people in danger.

Wow, that's just horrible, celebrating as people die.

Match day is anticlimactic anyway. Do.Not.Go. Even if your school or classmates are careless enough to be having congregate events. It’s not the time. You’ll get to be in your residency for the next X years and your specialty until you retire. There’s no emergent need to get together right now. With that said I’m sorry to those facing disappointment and canceled plans, I acknowledge that it does suck.

Reactions: 5 users
We have residents, friends, family, who have all had to cancel trips that in some cases they've been waiting years for. There's nothing wrong with being sad, but having after parties anyway is a problem and should be discouraged.

I've even seen residents planning "Covid parties", which is not only tone deaf but truly runs the risk of putting people in danger.

Be sad, absolutely, you have every right to be. Just don't let that emotion cloud what's in the best interests of you, your families, and your neighbors.
I get what you're saying and don't disagree, but posting it here to rub in our faces that this is for the greater good and other people have had plans canceled too is just hella tone deaf.

We know. We don't disagree. We're still upset. We don't need reminding.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s hard, it stinks. There’s disappointment all around esp for people with major life events and long-awaited plans going on. I’d never tell you not to hurt or feel whatever you feel. But it might uplift you some to know that you are doing real sacrifice and heroic virtue for the greater good, and we in the trenches or about to be appreciate you for it ❤ And you all are going to be right in the trenches with us soon, depending on how all this goes.

Reactions: 2 users
I get what you're saying and don't disagree, but posting it here to rub in our faces that this is for the greater good and other people have had plans canceled too is just hella tone deaf.

We know. We don't disagree. We're still upset. We don't need reminding.

I was posting in response to people saying they were still having after parties for match day. Context matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone cancelled graduation yet?

Has anyone cancelled graduation yet?

Match Day, Ceremony, and events week all canceled. We might even have graduation events canceled too. Looking grim out here in the Bread Basket.

What are you guys all doing to still recognize these special moments? It's hard to not feel overwhelmed with disappointment after all our celebrations for four years of hard work were all canceled all at once. Anyone still planning something with friends/family for May or June? Any ideas for making the most of the situation?

What are you guys all doing to still recognize these special moments? It's hard to not feel overwhelmed with disappointment after all our celebrations for four years of hard work were all canceled all at once. Anyone still planning something with friends/family for May or June? Any ideas for making the most of the situation?

Match day isn't going to be what I thought it was but when I really think about it - day drinking champagne in pajamas with my significant other is perfect in its own way. My family, his family, and our friends are tentatively thinking about a June party but nothing is definite because we really don't know how this all is going to go down.

Match day isn't going to be what I thought it was but when I really think about it - day drinking champagne in pajamas with my significant other is perfect in its own way. My family, his family, and our friends are tentatively thinking about a June party but nothing is definite because we really don't know how this all is going to go down.
This. I'll make it something special on its own.