Match day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Idk if this is legitimate curiosity or just schadenfreude, but I don't *intend* it to knock on other programs....

....but does anyone know what programs didn't fill in EM this year? SOAPy people, what's out there in the EM world right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The single EM spot was in the Northeast somewhere, but not sure where.

Congrats to everyone matching tomorrow.
Even if you don't get one of your top choices, just be happy that you are entering a great field.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone matching tomorrow.
Even if you don't get one of your top choices, just be happy that you are entering a great field.

Thanks. Sounds like the match was especially tough this year. One of the mid-tier schools here in TX had 15% of their class not match. I'm just happy to have a job somewhere!

Idk if this is legitimate curiosity or just schadenfreude, but I don't *intend* it to knock on other programs....

....but does anyone know what programs didn't fill in EM this year? SOAPy people, what's out there in the EM world right now?

Always been grossed out by these kinds of posts. Anyway.

It's a match violation to share the name of the program to anyone not participating in the SOAP/scramble.

It took pretty much all anxiety away just knowing I matched to EM; I will be very happy with my top 10, and fine with the rest, too. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Always been grossed out by these kinds of posts. Anyway.

It's a match violation to share the name of the program to anyone not participating in the SOAP/scramble.

eh. it all end up public knowledge every year relatively soon after the scramble starts. Its most out of EM pride that I ask. I love that our field always either fully flls, nearly fully fills. Usually most/all of the open spots are saudi-sponsored spots anyway, which US people werent even allowed to match into so it really doesnt count anyway.

Wonder what the average percentage un-matched is this year. Prob school dependant I guess.....no idea at my school!

eh. it all end up public knowledge every year relatively soon after the scramble starts. Its most out of EM pride that I ask. I love that our field always either fully flls, nearly fully fills. Usually most/all of the open spots are saudi-sponsored spots anyway, which US people werent even allowed to match into so it really doesnt count anyway.

Going by this rationality your question should have been "how many unfilled spots were there for EM" and not "what programs didn't fill in EM this year," the latter of which would be a match violation for a current applicant to answer.

Going by this rationality your question should have been "how many unfilled spots were there for EM" and not "what programs didn't fill in EM this year," the latter of which would be a match violation for a current applicant to answer.

my apologies for not picking the most logically consistent wording.

My medical opinion is that everyone should have a Guinness, some Jameson, wear green etc. and enjoy the day with your friends and family. Noon tomorrow will be here before you know it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get PTSD from even thinking about the match. Congrats to those who matched, and for those who didn't it'll be okay, even if you don't believe that now.

Thanks. Sounds like the match was especially tough this year. One of the mid-tier schools here in TX had 15% of their class not match. I'm just happy to have a job somewhere!

It was apparently a rough year for UTSA and UTMB from what I hear.

Hmm I wonder why.

I've heard the same about a couple mid-tier schools out east (rough year with 15-20 people not matching).

Really, 15% didn't match? That would get people fired if true...

Last edited:
I thought all the EM spots filled and it was just some unfilled EM/IM spots?

I'll bite. Why?

No idea.

Beyond the usual suspects (didn't apply to enough programs, didn't apply to enough safeties, applied with below average stats, etc...), maybe all those new med schools opening up are finally starting to impact match rates in some specialties.

No idea.

Beyond the usual suspects (didn't apply to enough programs, didn't apply to enough safeties, applied with below average stats, etc...), maybe all those new med schools opening up are finally starting to impact match rates in some specialties.
no man, my mistake. I thought you were being snarky. I don't absorb tone well over the interweb. no offense meant, just drunken curiosity. I go to one of those schools so maybe you struck a cord ...who knows. In any case, my bad.

no man, my mistake. I thought you were being snarky. I don't absorb tone well over the interweb. no offense meant, just drunken curiosity. I go to one of those schools so maybe you struck a cord ...who knows. In any case, my bad.

Pssh no problem.

Yeah I can see how it might have come off that way.

Everyone ready? I'm not going to my school's ceremony, so I have to wait an extra hour. I think my phone is going on silent until 12:05 so I don't have to hear 100 texts/phone calls. Just going to fire up the NRMP website at 12:00 and see for myself.