Match experience is not going well...at all!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I need some advice and preferably with a kind tone. I am an IMG that has finished school, have the diploma and am awaiting the ECFMG certificate. I have passed Step 1, 2 CS, and 2 CK all on the first try. My Step 2 CK score was low however and as a result I am not getting any interviews despite applying to many programs. I have been following up on the programs, I have not heard back from, but so far no interviews. I really wanted EM and applied to mostly EM and EM combined programs. When my CK score came back so low, I then applied to FP and OB/GYN programs as well, though far fewer.

Should I start applying to more knowing that the interview slots are already full? wait it out and try in the scramble? If I do not match, will trying to knock out Step 3 help cancel out my low CK score?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I need some advice and preferably with a kind tone. I am an IMG that has finished school, have the diploma and am awaiting the ECFMG certificate. I have passed Step 1, 2 CS, and 2 CK all on the first try. My Step 2 CK score was low however and as a result I am not getting any interviews despite applying to many programs. I have been following up on the programs, I have not heard back from, but so far no interviews. I really wanted EM and applied to mostly EM and EM combined programs. When my CK score came back so low, I then applied to FP and OB/GYN programs as well, though far fewer.

Should I start applying to more knowing that the interview slots are already full? wait it out and try in the scramble? If I do not match, will trying to knock out Step 3 help cancel out my low CK score?

A stellar step 2 can help make up for a mediocre step 1, but if both are not great then I doubt a step 3 will help at all.

EM and Ob/gyn are extremely competitive fields even for US medical graduates. You may need to apply widely.

-AT.

I'm no expert by any means but aside from applying to competitive fields I suspect your lack of interviews has more to do with your pending ECFMG certificate than your low step 2 score. At one of my interviews the PD mentioned she doesn't even look at fmgs unless they're certified, regardless of scores.

Okay, thanks guys. I am not sure there is anything I can do to hurry the ECFMG certificate along. I have so far decided to apply to more FP programs.

Still any more advice would be appreciated.

Okay, thanks guys. I am not sure there is anything I can do to hurry the ECFMG certificate along. I have so far decided to apply to more FP programs.

Still any more advice would be appreciated.

It's probably bordering on too late for sending new apps to nearly all programs out there. Before you spend your money, be sure you check to see if the program has an application deadline and that it's not already passed.

Next best idea? Be sure to register for the Match, even if you don't have a single interview and be ready to put your scramble-pants on come March.

It's probably bordering on too late for sending new apps to nearly all programs out there. Before you spend your money, be sure you check to see if the program has an application deadline and that it's not already passed.

Next best idea? Be sure to register for the Match, even if you don't have a single interview and be ready to put your scramble-pants on come March.
I have been trying to check before I apply but responses are slow, so I have applied to a select few anyway.

I was planning to scramble, but is it possible to scramble without having done a rank-order list? Can I make a rank-order list without having had an interview? Does anyone know?

I have been trying to check before I apply but responses are slow, so I have applied to a select few anyway.

I was planning to scramble, but is it possible to scramble without having done a rank-order list? Can I make a rank-order list without having had an interview? Does anyone know?

1. Many programs will list deadlines on their website.

2. Just submit a rank-list that is either empty or contains the name of one program (doesn't even need to be one you applied to). That will ensure that you go unmatched and get access to the unfilled program list.