match lists - allopathic/osteopathic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know that match lists are not indicative of the caliber of a medical school...but I was just confused when looking over ATSU-KCOMs match list from 2008....the majority of the matches were allopathic...

I haven't seen this done for the 2 schools I got accepted to (PCOM and NSU-COM) and was wondering what (if anything) that meant in terms of medical education? Do some schools tailor curriculum for allopathic vs. osteopathic matches despite being a DO school? I was just wondering because again, the matches at least for ATSU-KCOM seemed to be heavily skewed towards allopathic residencies while other match lists for other schools didn't appear to make the distinction.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It varies from school-to-school and class-to-class. TCOM has 80% or so of their students going to allopathic residencies, and I think that overall most DO students do allopathic residencies. From what I've heard, where you get a residency is more dependent on your test scores, goals, and how much work you put into what you want to do.

I think you also have to take into account that if you match into a DO residency you are required to do that residency and are automatically dropped from the MD match. I think that some people probably apply to the DO residency out of fear of not matching MD and having to scramble.

There are countless threads about match list and they each list how independent each match is because you never know the students and what their motivation was and the other factors that go into the match.

Choose a school that you feel like you will be happiest at so that you can personally succeed and match at whatever place you choose. Good luck!

Last edited:
A large factor in why ATSU, AZCOM, and TCOM are going to have a high percentage of allopathic residencies is due to geographic location. There are A LOT less DO residencies out west so most DO schools out west are going to send a lot of grads into allopathic residencies just so those students can stay in the same geographic area.