Match prelim & PGY2 together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shunnar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who is planning to enter the 2015 match, and doing my steps at the moment...
One of my preferred options is going into radiology, and thus need to do a prelim year or a transitional one....
i understood that I should apply in the same time for both, and that's September-2014 to enter prelim or TY in 2015, and rads in 2016...,

I have 2 questions regarding this issue, i know it is early but to fill my curiosity:
1- Will I enter 1 match season or 2? Should I prepare a ROL on february 2015 and other one on february 2016?
2- How can a rads program evaluate me when I am applying 22 months earlier than starting the program! I will apply on sep-2014, do interview a year after that, and enter the rads program PGY2 july-2016....how does a program know what I did in these months ( research for example) and where I did my TY if I applied for them before all of this happens?

P.S. I am posting this also in the rads forum

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to check out the NRMP and ERAS websites for more information on the process.

You will apply for your prelim/transitional year and your advanced radiology position at the same time.

The timeline:

1. Submit your application in September 2014, applying to both prelim/transitional and radiology positions.
2. Attend interviews for both positions in November - January.
3. Submit a rank order list for both positions in February 2015.
4. Match in March 2015. Ideally you will match to both a prelim position that you will start in July 2015 and a radiology position to begin in July 2016.

I am an IMG who is planning to enter the 2015 match, and doing my steps at the moment...
One of my preferred options is going into radiology, and thus need to do a prelim year or a transitional one....
i understood that I should apply in the same time for both, and that's September-2014 to enter prelim or TY in 2015, and rads in 2016...,

I have 2 questions regarding this issue, i know it is early but to fill my curiosity:
1- Will I enter 1 match season or 2? Should I prepare a ROL on february 2015 and other one on february 2016?
2- How can a rads program evaluate me when I am applying 22 months earlier than starting the program! I will apply on sep-2014, do interview a year after that, and enter the rads program PGY2 july-2016....how does a program know what I did in these months ( research for example) and where I did my TY if I applied for them before all of this happens?

P.S. I am posting this also in the rads forum

Agree with the prior poster. Just bear in mind that the odds of matching into a competitive field are stacked against non-US educated students, and so it's probably a good idea to have a backup residency plan (especially since you apparently are still doing the steps and don't even know how competitive you are).

You need to check out the NRMP and ERAS websites for more information on the process.

You will apply for your prelim/transitional year and your advanced radiology position at the same time.

The timeline:

1. Submit your application in September 2014, applying to both prelim/transitional and radiology positions.
2. Attend interviews for both positions in November - January.
3. Submit a rank order list for both positions in February 2015.
4. Match in March 2015. Ideally you will match to both a prelim position that you will start in July 2015 and a radiology position to begin in July 2016.
Thank you so much! That was helpful.
So all I have to worry about is 1 match season not more, that's much better :D