Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

substanceP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really hope I'm reading too much into this, but I have a question I hope someone knows the answer to.

In my rank order list, #'s 1-9 were categorical emergency medicine residency programs, and #'s 10-14 were preliminary year/transitional year programs. When I checked my email today, I received the message, "Congratulations, you have matched!" Does this mean that I have matched into a categorical EM program, or is it possible that I have only matched into one of my preliminary/transitional positions? Thanks in advance!

--sp

Members don't see this ad.

According to new NRMP practice, they must specify if you match into a 1-year program.

If your notice does not say "one-year program", then you have matched into a categorical program.

Congrats & Cheers :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you ranked a PGY 2-4? Since a 2-4 is not categorical but advanced, does it say you matched into your advanced program? Will it also mention specifically if you also matched into your prelim year that is put on the supplemental ROL?

Just confused because shouldn't it say you matched into your advanced and prelim if you matched into a PGY 2-4 and got your desired prelim year?

What if you ranked a PGY 2-4? Since a 2-4 is not categorical but advanced, does it say you matched into your advanced program? Will it also mention specifically if you also matched into your prelim year that is put on the supplemental ROL?

Just confused because shouldn't it say you matched into your advanced and prelim if you matched into a PGY 2-4 and got your desired prelim year?

straight from the match people:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including
• Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
• Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.
Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

Thank you all very much! I had a sleepless, crappy night thinking about this possibility. Thanks again! I feel much better!

Congrats P!

My dean's office stated that if you matched to an advanced program but not a prelim you will be notified by NMRP and the dean's office since you need to scramble for a PGY-1 year.

I really hope I'm reading too much into this, but I have a question I hope someone knows the answer to.

In my rank order list, #'s 1-9 were categorical emergency medicine residency programs, and #'s 10-14 were preliminary year/transitional year programs. When I checked my email today, I received the message, "Congratulations, you have matched!" Does this mean that I have matched into a categorical EM program, or is it possible that I have only matched into one of my preliminary/transitional positions? Thanks in advance!

--sp

I matched. However, I'm in your shoes, too. Numbers 1-14 EM, #15-#16 prelim IM.

I matched. However, I'm in your shoes, too. Numbers 1-14 EM, #15-#16 prelim IM.

with the message you received, you matched categorical EM. I had a couple of friends with the following message who didnt match in their desired specialty but matched at a prelim year at the end of their rank lists

(from the match guys: )

3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to a preliminary position but did not match to an advanced position listed on the primary rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain an advanced position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different preliminary position.

I matched?? I really matched?!! Hey, I matched! Thanks for the clarification everyone.

Best wishes to everyone who is scrambling. I probably can never truly feel what it is like to scramble but for what it's worth, I hope you stay positive and most of all, I hope you get a spot.

--sp

Did I do something wrong? what I recall from when I formulated my ROL was that for every catagorical EM program that was 2-4 and required a Prelim Year, there was a "Supplemental List" that corresponded with it and I was under the impression that it was in that supplemental list that you rank Prelim Med, TY etc...I didn't rank my Prelim Spots in the same ROL of my catagoricals....anyone have any input to this?

Thanks....

Did I do something wrong? what I recall from when I formulated my ROL was that for every catagorical EM program that was 2-4 and required a Prelim Year, there was a "Supplemental List" that corresponded with it and I was under the impression that it was in that supplemental list that you rank Prelim Med, TY etc...I didn't rank my Prelim Spots in the same ROL of my catagoricals....anyone have any input to this?Thanks....

yeah...that's what I did too...:( did we screw-up?!?!?...help people!!!!!!:scared:

Did I do something wrong? what I recall from when I formulated my ROL was that for every catagorical EM program that was 2-4 and required a Prelim Year, there was a "Supplemental List" that corresponded with it and I was under the impression that it was in that supplemental list that you rank Prelim Med, TY etc...I didn't rank my Prelim Spots in the same ROL of my catagoricals....anyone have any input to this?

Thanks....

I did it the same as you. I know people who put their prelim/transitional spots both in the supplemental list and also at the end of there main list, but they were doing this just in case they didnt match into any categorical spots in there chosen specialty, so that they would still have a prelim/transitional year to back up with. As long as you got that "congratulations you have matched" you are good.

I did the same thing as you...I think that's fine. The previous posts are referring to the fact that you can rank prelim years as residencies and match there if the initial EM list doesn't work out.

I did it the same as you. I know people who put their prelim/transitional spots both in the supplemental list and also at the end of there main list, but they were doing this just in case they didnt match into any categorical spots in there chosen specialty, so that they would still have a prelim/transitional year to back up with. As long as you got that "congratulations you have matched" you are good.

ROCK N ROLL man....thanks for clarifying...congrats on matching...from the look of things that seems all that is important...:thumbup: