Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to the MD vs. DO match process, how does one apply to both? Doesnt the allo match automatically drop if you match DO intern/residency? So does one just wait to see if USMLE scores are good enough to apply allo?

Members don't see this ad.

you apply to both matches online. you then get interview invites, go to the interviews, decide how you want to rank programs, and then decide if you still want to go through both match processes. if you match in the DO match, you are automatically pulled from the MD match

In regards to the MD vs. DO match process, how does one apply to both?

I'm not going to detail the steps, but suffice it to say that when the time comes, you'll be given information on how to register for the AOA and the ACGME matches. You have to register for each match separately (and pay a fee for each), and you use ERAS to send your applications to programs, both DO and MD.

Doesnt the allo match automatically drop if you match DO intern/residency?

Yes.

So does one just wait to see if USMLE scores are good enough to apply allo?

You could, sure. However, by the time ERAS becomes available you should have your COMLEX 1 and USMLE 1 scores ready. It's a matter of when you do COMLEX/USMLE 2. Some people do Step 2 very early, others wait until the last minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, the problem I have is this, you can't try to match at a prestigious MD program and if you don't manage to match fall back on an osteopathic program. The DO match is before the MD match and thus automatically negates even trying. I'm not saying the DO programs aren't great programs but they are region limited and many are at smaller hospitals in non-university style programs. So many students especially with families may want to attempt at matching allopathic in a city that would be ideal for whatever reason but if they make that choice they must take themselves out of the DO match. I am currently in this dilema myself. I feel obligated to the DO profession to do a DO residency but at the same time I worry I won't see the volume I need and so I'm considering some big MD programs. The problem with those programs is that I have no idea what kind of chance I have and god knows I don't want to go unmatched. See I understand the AOA wants to fill their own residencies and would love for every DO student to chose a DO residency but the information out there on programs is virtually non-existent (at least from what I have found, maybe someone knows something I don't). So it makes it tough to pick a great residency program where you know training will be second to none, whereas there is a ton of info on the MD programs not to mention the reputation that many have. The DO programs havent been around long enough to generate such reputations which makes it tough. Anyway, I just wish there was an easier answer, because it seems that I, like many others, are up against a wall we have no idea how to climb.

throck, I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it difficult to get adequate information on osteopathic residency programs. They send you to the hospital websites where there is even less information. And it seems strange that rarely do that AOA numbers and program reported numbers match for available/filled spots. I'm not quite sure what to believe.

Fortunately, I'm two years away from the match. I have plenty of time to research (or have my husband research for me).

....I'm not quite sure what to believe.....

I'm not sure if you guys have this or not, but every spring we have a thing called Hospital Day, where bunches of programs sent representatives to us and set up information booths. Some of them have PDs there, some have secretaries, and quite a few have current residents. I've found out more about a bunch of programs from talking to those residents than I could ever get anywhere else. While it's really a recruting tool for their programs, and you would expect the representatives to sell you on the "good" stuff, I've found the residents to be pretty honest about answering tough questions.

Yeah, we do too. But unfortunately I'd like to do EM/IM joint program -- and there aren't many of those around. Hopefully one or two of those places will send us someone.

See, our school has a "hospital day" as well but its in september. I didn't have a clue in sept. I was so wet behind the ears it was crazy, let alone did I know I wanted to go into surgery, so I didn't talk to any of the programs and I wouldn't have known what to ask them anyway. I guess some of that is my fault but a lot, I feel, is our school's fault for not scheduling it in the spring (which would seem more obvious). I've checked out scutwork but they don't have very many reviewed programs, I just wish there was an easier way. Oh well, back to studying psychiatr.......zzzzzzzz..... :sleep:

Several years back, there was a push to combine the matches so that both allopathic and osteopathic match day could be held on the same day ... it met with significant resistance and died. The students lost.

Unfortunately for osteopathic residencies, it is hard to tell which programs are strongers than others except through word of mouth and experience. The same can be said of ACGME residencies except they are larger, more well-known, and have been around for a while to establish reputations. It is easier to ask people in Pennsylvania or Michigan "hey, what do you think of Ohio State's surgical program" than it is to ask "hey, what do you think of Doctor's Hospital General Surgery Program in Columbus, OH".

The best you can do is ask around, ask students who have completed rotations at places where you are considering, ask surgical residents what they think of the surgical programs you are considering, and if you have open electives, do rotations at the hospital you are considering doing (not necessarily in the same speciality, but at least it will give you the chance to see the hospital, computer system, type of training you can expect, the reputation in the community, etc)

For ShyRem,

check out this post in the Combined Residency Forum
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=394551

Hopefully it can be helpful.

Ok PGY if you matched into a AOA tranining program ONLY, as not part of a continuation program, do you do the match again? After your intern year?