You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Match rate by preferred specialty 2024
Started by DrProtonX
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ASTRO's response to Match data: "I think it's clear that this data shows that students need more education about Radiation Oncology. Since our efforts to do so for medical students has not shown the desired results, I am pleased to announce our kindergrarden outreach progrem."
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The match data obsession, the changing of the field name, the weird doxxing, the rectal exam stuff.
It's getting really hard for me to admit to people I am a radiation oncologist.
It's getting really hard for me to admit to people I am a radiation oncologist.
Holy God, this is bad
Believe it or not within the past 2 week my chair may or may not have said to me something along the lines “times have never been better in our field”. I nodded and bit my tongue and walked away!
Should’ve sent him/her to ED for signs of confusion!Believe it or not within the past 2 week my chair may or may not have said to me something along the lines “times have never been better in our field”. I nodded and bit my tongue and walked away!
You’ve said you’re a resident. Did you not know this when you applied? The field has been a burning dumpster of fecal matter for the past 5-6 years, even longer depending on your point of reference. See “bloodbath” thread.I know these data has no real impact on the field, job market, etc. but it still stings when you see your specialty among one of the least competitive ones. Basically any US grad without a felony on record can match!
Oh I definitely did know. It still stings though. I totally know it’s just a ego thing and has no real relevance!You’ve said you’re a resident. Did you not know this when you applied? The field has been a burning dumpster of fecal matter for the past 5-6 years, even longer depending on your point of reference. See “bloodbath” thread.
It'll have relevance when you start looking for a jobOh I definitely did know. It still stings though. I totally know it’s just a ego thing and has no real relevance!
Believe it or not within the past 2 week my chair may or may not have said to me something along the lines “times have never been better in our field”. I nodded and bit my tongue and walked away!
For him, yes
It'll have relevance when you start looking for a job
We're in to a new season. Anyone have a feel for how it is this year? More of the same?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure how competitive it is, but there is also a big concern that this is the last year before graduating resident quality drops off a cliff.We're in to a new season. Anyone have a feel for how it is this year? More of the same?
What did I miss???The match data obsession, the changing of the field name, the weird doxxing, the rectal exam stuff.
It's getting really hard for me to admit to people I am a radiation oncologist.
The PD/APDs will tell you they are not worried about this and that the people they have taken and in some cases SOAPed are doing fine. Time will tell if the quality truly drops. They definitely will not have the scores etc that people 2015 and before had to have.Not sure how competitive it is, but there is also a big concern that this is the last year before graduating resident quality drops off a cliff.
If by quality you solely mean ‘step score’ then yeah but there’s zero evidence showing any correlation between the step score and how good of a physician residents become when they start practicing.Not sure how competitive it is, but there is also a big concern that this is the last year before graduating resident quality drops off a cliff.
It will have relevance. The "quality" of your application will be judged significantly more than it had in the past. Your training program will matter much more than it had previously. Your ability to enter the remaining private practices will be much more difficult. Even in reasonably good hiring seasons, it was not easy. It will be harder now.Oh I definitely did know. It still stings though. I totally know it’s just a ego thing and has no real relevance!
Unfortunately, this is out of your hands. It is what it is. Programs and PDs have not self-corrected. Leadership has not self-corrected. If the trend of this data is any suggestion, they won't.
If by quality you solely mean ‘step score’ then yeah but there’s zero evidence showing any correlation between the step score and how good of a physician residents become when they start practicing.
In the absence of such data, I would certainly favor the higher score to be a better doc. Knowing full well that I may be wrong and there are outliers.
The PD/APDs will tell you they are not worried about this and that the people they have taken and in some cases SOAPed are doing fine. Time will tell if the quality truly drops. They definitely will not have the scores etc that people 2015 and before had to have.
I think it’s funny that you or anyone else would think they’re a better rad onc. It defies everything we know about how this stuff actually works.
By that definition I guess a ‘lower program tier’ grad is not as good of a doc as an MDACC grad. I guess I should start telling patients not to see rad oncs from SUNY UPstate or BCM or Columbia or insert lower tier program here.
Be ****ing for real
People love getting high on their own supply
If by quality you solely mean ‘step score’ then yeah but there’s zero evidence showing any correlation between the step score and how good of a physician residents become when they start practicing.
Say what you will, but I'd trust a rad onc who trained from 2003-2018 over one that trained in the 1970s, 1990s or in 2025+ esp if their step scores are suspect or they had to retake etcI think it’s funny that you or anyone else would think they’re a better rad onc. It defies everything we know about how this stuff actually works.
By that definition I guess a ‘lower program tier’ grad is not as good of a doc as an MDACC grad
Be ****ing for real
People love getting high on their own supply
Opinions may be like a-holes but some opinions carry more weight even if the bouquet 💐 is more stank.
Say what you will, but I'd trust a rad onc who trained from 2003-2018 over one that trained in the 1970s, 1990s or in 2025+.
Opinions may be like dinguses but some opinions matter more than others
Good thing no one actually cares about stuff like this in real life, and if you think you care now, you won’t later.
I would be surprised if there is 0 correlation. It is highly likely that the bottom 1%(above passing) are worse doctors than the 99% for a variety of reasons- lack of intelligence, lack of commitment , psychosocial issues etc.If by quality you solely mean ‘step score’ then yeah but there’s zero evidence showing any correlation between the step score and how good of a physician residents become when they start practicing.
You may have a point that an average score vs a high score does not correlate with better doctoring, but unfotuantely for radonc, there is a sizeable contingent of bottom dwellers- last in their class types. Every med school class has one or 2 that shouldn’t be there, but can look forward to matching in radonc.
Last edited:
I think you’re understimating how self selective rad onc is. You typical med student doesn’t want to study physics and those who do aren’t typically the last in their class type. Also here’s the data of for this year’s match, only 9 applicants with step 2 score below 230 matched. I also added the data for 2014 match (step 1 score), you can see the distribution isn’t much differentI would be surprised if there is 0 correlation. It is highly likely that the bottom 1%(above passing) are worse doctors than the 99% for a variety of reasons- lack of intelligence, lack of commitment , psychosocial issues etc.
You may have a point that an average score vs a high score does not correlate with better doctoring, but unfotuantely for radonc, there is a sizeable contingent of bottom dwellers- last in their class types. Every med school class has one or 2 that shouldn’t be there, but can look forward to matching in radonc.
Attachments
Next time my practice hires, I will look for excellence, work ethic, and rizz.
Residency completion 2005-2020 is good, AOA, pedigree, no training gaps, references, those are all positives too.
I’m not a big believer that, a’priori, everyone gets a cookie. If you have more applicants than jobs, then selectivity is by definition at play. That’s been my reality as well.
Cookies a’plenty in other specialties however.
Residency completion 2005-2020 is good, AOA, pedigree, no training gaps, references, those are all positives too.
I’m not a big believer that, a’priori, everyone gets a cookie. If you have more applicants than jobs, then selectivity is by definition at play. That’s been my reality as well.
Cookies a’plenty in other specialties however.
Last edited:
Wow, flooding and fire at the same time. That dumpster is really having a bad day.
Maybe the flood will put the fire out? Problem solved!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A good reference by someone I know well would be far and away most important.Next time my practice hires, I will look for excellence, work ethic, and rizz.
Residency completion 2005-2020 is good, AOA, pedigree, no training gaps, references, those are all positives too.
I’m not a big believer that, a’priori, everyone gets a cookie. If you have more applicants than jobs, then selectivity is by definition at play. That’s been my reality as well.
Cookies a’plenty in other specialties however.
A good reference by someone I know well would be far and away most important.
This is why the job market is perpetually siiiick. If you feel like it's not, you just have to network, kid.
A good reference by someone I know well would be far and away most important.
This has been and will continue to be the best way to get "good" jobs beyond the "elite" program internal networks (which are essentially a smaller version of the same thing)
How many people with "good" jobs do we all know that obtained them any other way than being a known quantity? I interviewed for some pretty high quality jobs (at least I considered them so but the coastal/big city people wouldn't sniff them) but best ones - the two I've taken and the one I declined - were from knowing someone. And I knew nobody.
I agree that there is no correlation. However, I have also seen the quality of residents being produced by our mid tier academic program and there has been a noticeable drop off.If by quality you solely mean ‘step score’ then yeah but there’s zero evidence showing any correlation between the step score and how good of a physician residents become when they start practicing.
I agree that there is no correlation. However, I have also seen the quality of residents being produced by our mid tier academic program and there has been a noticeable drop off.
This. Our practice also has seen a range of residents come through from top, middle, and bottom tier programs. The cream of the crop is still very good. The bench isn’t nearly as deep as those who matched 2018 and prior. But the lower tier is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
It isn’t just the step scores. Everyone knows you can be a good doc without a 260/AOA/PhD. It’s the social skills and internal drive that I’ve seen huge differences in. 2018ish and prior - a huge percentage of RadOnc applicants were top of their class, had some leadership roles, and were the ones who mostly were trying hard. The top tier is generally still like this (though admittedly not nearly as deep as 5-10years ago).
What I’m seeing today in lower tier programs is you’re getting a much higher rate of residents who come in and are just lazy for lack of better description. Roll in and have not prepared for clinic, don’t know what their attending is doing that day, etc.
So if I’m hiring at a private practice in 2028, better believe I’m putting a lot of weight on where someone trained. I don’t have time to go through 105 applications. The residency programs have already selected harder workers for the top tiers. Again, that difference may not have been as wide in years past. It seems glaring now.
Seems like when you matched will become increasingly importantThis. Our practice also has seen a range of residents come through from top, middle, and bottom tier programs. The cream of the crop is still very good. The bench isn’t nearly as deep as those who matched 2018 and prior. But the lower tier is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
It isn’t just the step scores. Everyone knows you can be a good doc without a 260/AOA/PhD. It’s the social skills and internal drive that I’ve seen huge differences in. 2018ish and prior - a huge percentage of RadOnc applicants were top of their class, had some leadership roles, and were the ones who mostly were trying hard. The top tier is generally still like this (though admittedly not nearly as deep as 5-10years ago).
What I’m seeing today in lower tier programs is you’re getting a much higher rate of residents who come in and are just lazy for lack of better description. Roll in and have not prepared for clinic, don’t know what their attending is doing that day, etc.
So if I’m hiring at a private practice in 2028, better believe I’m putting a lot of weight on where someone trained. I don’t have time to go through 105 applications. The residency programs have already selected harder workers for the top tiers. Again, that difference may not have been as wide in years past. It seems glaring now.