Match scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raspberry009

Beam me up Scotty
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read the whole match thingy on how people match to different programs, but i'm still clueless. I need it in kiddy terminology.

Both applicants apply to 2 schools:

Applicant A: ranked program 1 higher
Applicant B: ranked program 2 higher

Program 1: ranked applicant B higher
Program 2: ranked neither applicant

so who will match at program one? The applicant that didn't match at their top choice or the applicant that was less preferred but ranked the program as their top choice??

Members don't see this ad.

Essentially they both could match if there are enough spots left in the program. So even though applicant B ranked program 2 higher, let's say he doesn't match there because they didn't rank him high enough or at all.

Now he is left with program 1 which is lower in his list but still on his list. So if program 1 ranked him high enough and there are still slots, he can match with them.
So now we go on to applicant A who is still waiting. If there are still slots, he can definetly match. But if it was down to the program's last slot and neither A nor B had matched, the slot would go to applicant B because ultimately the deciding factor is the program.

Any other takers? Maybe they may correct me. It's actually alot more complicated than that since people rank so many more programs.

A PD explained to me, that when the computer starts out, everyone gets a "temporary spot" until all the shuffling is done, because applicants are constantly booting out other applicants for the higher spots. In the end, the person I believe who holds the winning ticket is the program, and not the applicant, because the program is the one with the limited number of jobs. Hope this didn't confuse you even more.

In the end, the person I believe who holds the winning ticket is the program, and not the applicant, because the program is the one with the limited number of jobs. Hope this didn't confuse you even more.

If what you are saying is true.... then why do they say that the system is in favor of the applicant?

Your post was helpful by the way.

If in your example both programs have only one slot, then program 1 matches applicant B, and applicant A goes unmatched.

If they have more than one slot, then it depends on everyone else in the match.

The match works in favor of the students like this:

Let's say there are two programs: 1 and 2. Each has one slot.

There are two applicants, A and B

Program 1 ranks: 1) A and 2) B
Program 2 ranks: 1) B and 2) A

A ranks: 1) Program 2 and 2) Program 1
B ranks: 1) Program 1 and 2) Program 2

See the problem? If the final match is Program 1 - A and Program 2 - B, both programs get their #1 choice and both applicants get their #2. If the final match is the other way around, then both applicants get their #1 and both programs get their #2.

The match works in favor of the applicants, so in this case the match result would be A matches with Program 2 and B matches with program 1

The number of applicants affected by this "tiebreaker" is very, very small in the real match.

If in your example both programs have only one slot, then program 1 matches applicant B, and applicant A goes unmatched.

If they have more than one slot, then it depends on everyone else in the match.

The match works in favor of the students like this:

Let's say there are two programs: 1 and 2. Each has one slot.

There are two applicants, A and B

Program 1 ranks: 1) A and 2) B
Program 2 ranks: 1) B and 2) A

A ranks: 1) Program 2 and 2) Program 1
B ranks: 1) Program 1 and 2) Program 2

See the problem? If the final match is Program 1 - A and Program 2 - B, both programs get their #1 choice and both applicants get their #2. If the final match is the other way around, then both applicants get their #1 and both programs get their #2.

The match works in favor of the applicants, so in this case the match result would be A matches with Program 2 and B matches with program 1

The number of applicants affected by this "tiebreaker" is very, very small in the real match.

This is enough to give anyone a headache, but now I get it. Thanks.

I just need to hope that no else ranks the highly competetive program that I want to get into as number 1 (phat chance of that happening).

It needs to be said every time a thread like this comes up, but

RANK THE PROGRAMS IN THE ORDER YOU PREFER THEM.

There is no way to "game" the match. If you rank a certain program #1 it will not in and of itself improve your chances of matching there (Obviously, YOU are more likely to go there because there are no other programs you could potentially go to that are ahead of it). If you rank program X #1 because you think it will improve your chances of matching there, but it isn't your real first choice, then you just screwed yourself over if you do match there.

It's nice to match at your #1 choice, but if your #1 choice isn't the program you want to go to, then what's the point?

The key to understanding the match is that you need to understand that essentially you will go down your ranking list and whether or not you get a position in the ranking list is if the slots are not occupied by people that were ranked higher than you were in that program. You will displace someone who is ranked lower than you and they will move on down their list. Also you might get displaced by someone who got displaced by someone else and now he has to pick from this program and happens to be higher than your rank.

So basically, your chance of matching in a program is reduced by the chance of matching in the programs you ranked higher. So if you ranked program A higher than program B and you chances of getting program A is 80% and your overall chance of matching is 90% then guess what's the chance of matching in program B? 10%.

The NRMP site has a good explanation of how it works, with a clear example with several imaginary students ranking imaginary programs:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

It explains which students did it right and which students did something stupid and hurt their chances.

It needs to be said every time a thread like this comes up, but

RANK THE PROGRAMS IN THE ORDER YOU PREFER THEM.

There is no way to "game" the match. If you rank a certain program #1 it will not in and of itself improve your chances of matching there (Obviously, YOU are more likely to go there because there are no other programs you could potentially go to that are ahead of it). If you rank program X #1 because you think it will improve your chances of matching there, but it isn't your real first choice, then you just screwed yourself over if you do match there.

It's nice to match at your #1 choice, but if your #1 choice isn't the program you want to go to, then what's the point?

What?? People do that?? For chrissake WHY?

Why would you want to improve your chances of matching at a program that wasn't your #1 choice at the expense of your chances of matching at a program that IS your #1 choice?

so confused, I don't know why anyone wouldn't just put the programs down in order of preference.

Quick question to aPD: Does informing the PD at your #1 choice that they will be #1 improve your chances or just go unnoticed? Seems to me its in a programs best interests to rank highly those applicants that 1) they like, and 2) are likely to come to their program.

Quick question to aPD: Does informing the PD at your #1 choice that they will be #1 improve your chances or just go unnoticed? Seems to me its in a programs best interests to rank highly those applicants that 1) they like, and 2) are likely to come to their program.

It probably makes little difference. Just like you rank programs based on where you want to go (and not based on what programs you think will rank you highly), we do the same thing. In addition, we all have had the "I'll rank you #1" / person matches elsewhere (but would have matched with us, had they actually ranked us #1) experience, so honestly we take all such statements with a large grain of salt.

Headache!

Here's more: How about for programs with advanced and integrated prelims...

Suppose I rank and advance program higher, but I did not match into a prelim spot. Do I match with the advance and scramble for the prelim, or do I moe down my list and match in the integrated program?

Headache!

Here's more: How about for programs with advanced and integrated prelims...

Suppose I rank and advance program higher, but I did not match into a prelim spot. Do I match with the advance and scramble for the prelim, or do I moe down my list and match in the integrated program?

The advanced match occurs "first". After you've matched into an advanced program, then the prelim match occurs. If you fail to match into a prelim program, you will keep your advanced match (and scramble into a prelim).

If you fail to match into an advanced program, you can stillsubmit a prelim match list if you wish.

that's what i thought and was afraid of....do i go for the better advanced program and risk prelim, or do i go for the ok integrated and save myself from moving twice....decisions, decisions. thanks APD! i still miss the sith lord...