Match to both PGY-1 and PGY-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WUPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"In 2014, 2,088 applicants matched to both PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions. 1,740 U.S. senior applicants matched to both PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions."

Source: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf Page 5.

Can someone explain how it makes sense to simultaneously match into PGY-1 and 2? I was under the impression that you couldn't head into a PGY-2 position unless you had already completed your PGY-1.

Members don't see this ad.

The PGY-2 position is meant to follow the Preliminary year, not occur simultaneously. For example, if one wants to be a Dermatologist, one is required to complete a year of Internal Medicine training first. Instead of applying for a three-year IM residency, one applies for a single year of training (not necessarily at the same institutions). Because one is also matched into a position in a Derm residency for the following year, one is free of the obligation to attend numerous interviews across the country that would seriously impact one's productivity and value to the IM program. Those applying to specialties that require a Prelim year in IM or Gen Surgery can rank their choices so that there is a safety net at the end of all their matching options for, say, some three-year IM programs, in case they are not successful in getting a Derm position.

So when you are ranking your programs you'd like to attend, do you actually submit two lists, one ranking your favorite PGY-1/transition year programs and another ranking your favorite PGY-2 derm programs?

And, I noticed there are a few PGY-1 derm residencies; what is the benefit of going to one of those instead of IM?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you poke around in Forums>Physician/Resident Forums>General Residency Issues>ERAS and the Match you are likely to find a detailed explanation.

A program that integrates the two positions together means you don't have to move to a new location, learn the routine/layout/EHR at another hospital. And the match is much simpler. If you matched into a PGY-2 year but not a Prelim spot, you would be forced to scramble for a (likely-to-be highly-undesirable) PGY-1 place or lose the second year spot.

So when you are ranking your programs you'd like to attend, do you actually submit two lists, one ranking your favorite PGY-1/transition year programs and another ranking your favorite PGY-2 derm programs?

And, I noticed there are a few PGY-1 derm residencies; what is the benefit of going to one of those instead of IM?

@Catalystik explained it pretty well. The mechanics of applying for a pre-lim/transitional year spot aren't all that clear to me, but you essentially submit your pre-lim/transitional year choices along with your normal lists. You can submit a supplementary list, but again, I'm not sure of the mechanics of this. In effect, though, you submit two lists: one with your preference for a PGY-2 spot and one for your preference for a pre-lim/transitional year.

Categorical spots are generally preferred for the reasons above, but in talking with some of my buddies that are applying to both there are some important differences. The curricula for the categorical spots tend to be more integrated with your overall specialty than many pre-lim/transitional year spots. One my buddies going into anesthesia, for example, has said that many categorical programs have anesthesia-specific rotations in PGY-1 that you likely wouldn't see in a typical pre-lim/transitional year. I imagine this would be the case for most categorical spots but I'm unsure of how common this is.

Reactions: 1 user
@Catalystik explained it pretty well. The mechanics of applying for a pre-lim/transitional year spot aren't all that clear to me, but you essentially submit your pre-lim/transitional year choices along with your normal lists. You can submit a supplementary list, but again, I'm not sure of the mechanics of this. In effect, though, you submit two lists: one with your preference for a PGY-2 spot and one for your preference for a pre-lim/transitional year.

Categorical spots are generally preferred for the reasons above, but in talking with some of my buddies that are applying to both there are some important differences. The curricula for the categorical spots tend to be more integrated with your overall specialty than many pre-lim/transitional year spots. One my buddies going into anesthesia, for example, has said that many categorical programs have anesthesia-specific rotations in PGY-1 that you likely wouldn't see in a typical pre-lim/transitional year. I imagine this would be the case for most categorical spots but I'm unsure of how common this is.
You have a main PGY2 list and can make a separate PGY1 list for each PGY2 spot.