Match Trends from 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has recognized any trends from this years matches? Are any specialties gaining or loosing in popularity? Do we see a continued trend of "lifestyle" specialties being chosen.

Members don't see this ad.

apparently, general surgery became very popular this year as only 1 spot in the entire country went unfilled. Very impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.nrmp.org/2006advdata.pdf

This link has all the official match information from 2002-2006, so you can get an idea of the trends in each speciality, spots unfilled, etc.

The most important match trend is that after a year of declining popularity, I matched.

Panda Bear said:
The most important match trend is that after a year of declining popularity, I matched.

Where did you match?

Looks like anesthesiology and EM remained about the same (some fluxing but that happens every year). The surgeries were about the same...but General surgery certainly seems to be going up again. Maybe because they decreased the max residency hours. Some have said that radiology is going down (outsourcing?)....but I don't think so.
Personally I really don't think that there will be any huge changes within the next 3 years.

potato51 said:
apparently, general surgery became very popular this year as only 1 spot in the entire country went unfilled. Very impressive.

My theory on all this is all the doctor TV shows like Gray's Anatomy making surgery the cool thing right now.

BlondeCookie said:
My theory on all this is all the doctor TV shows like Gray's Anatomy making surgery the cool thing right now.

I agree ER made Emergency Medicine "cool" and has grown in popularity.
Now Gray's is making surgery grow.
All we need now is a hit drama about the life of a family med doc. Kinda like that Micheal J Fox movie where he (a plastic surgeon?) was stuck in that town doing family medicine.....what was the name of it???????........ :confused:

hunter1077 said:
I agree ER made Emergency Medicine "cool" and has grown in popularity.
Now Gray's is making surgery grow.
All we need now is a hit drama about the life of a family med doc. Kinda like that Micheal J Fox movie where he (a plastic surgeon?) was stuck in that town doing family medicine.....what was the name of it???????........ :confused:

Doc Hollywood. :)

BlondeCookie said:

More importantly, with the new hours/week restrictions while in residency, surgery doesn't look so daunting to people as it has in the past.