Match vs. non-match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmourtzi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a MSIII seriously considering Pathology for a career. I have researched several programs and have a tentative list, but I am confused about match vs. nonmatch programs. Can you apply for both or if you choose the match, you are automatically out of competition for the other spots? I am a DO student and my school does not really advocate the allopathic match, so finding answers is always a challenge.

Also, for those experienced in this area, are nonmatch programs typically second tier when compared to match spots?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I just saw this message so since no one else offered I can try. I think, when people get offered spots outside the match, that they generally go through the normal routine of applying to schools and going on interviews. If they fit the right characteristics, sometimes places will offer them a spot outside the match. If you have a major "in" with a program, such as doing research there for a long time or major clinical experience, sometimes you can short circuit the whole interview process and be given a position as a "reward" for your hard work, etc.

There are all kinds of programs that give out non-match positions. I know Mayo has done this, MGH. Neither one perhaps this year, but in the past they have. UMass gave one this year to someone switching in after their surgery intern year. I think in general the tougher programs to get into are a bit more stingy with their offers, reserving them only for people they already know well or have some kind of arrangement with. An "average" candidate applying from somewhere else is probably not going to get the same level of interest. You may still get a match position, of course.

I think that if you accept a position outside the match, all that happens is you simply withdraw from the match after the contracts are signed.

I have heard rumors that offering positions outside the match is decreasing, and will continue to do so. Not sure if this is from new regulations or just a higher # of competitive applicants.

If anyone else knows other information, or things I said that are wrong, please speak up.

Interesting...any thoughts on programs that just don't participate in the NRMP? There are a few programs (probably not top tier) in the geographic area I am looking to do residency in. Should this be considered a major red flag or should I apply to these programs anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a moot point since starting next year the rules for signing outside the match may change.

There are several programs that will go solely outside the match but do still use ERAS for the application process! One of them that comes to mind is UMD which I think is an okay program. Silverberg still teaches there 6 months out of the year which is a plus, but I am pretty sure that they still rely on signing outside the match for their spots.

I have also seen bigger name programs do it over the years with transfers from Radiology, Ophto (yes, really), and Medicine.

Good Luck!

I think starting next year there won't be any out of Match offers. They wanted to implement this rule this year but somehow it got postponed. The programs have the choice of participating with all positions in Match or completely withdrawn for it. As a DO you can sign contract out of Match, but I think AMGs are not allowed (at least when they are seniors, if they want to switch from another residency they can sign ). And good programs don't offer out of match positions anyway... If you have a good aplication and decent USMLE scores it won't be a problem to get any placement you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but starting next year programs will not offer slots outside of the match. It seems to me a lot of IMGs get positions this route. That would mean that more US medical students will have a shot at slots that were previously going to IMGs. Anyone else have anythoughts on this?

I'm not necessarily sure this means more spots for american grads. Theoretically it's possible, but most programs don't offer spots to "run of the mill" foreign grads. If you are offered a position outside the match, it stands to reason you probably could have matched there as well. Your logic would only hold true if programs ranked most or all of their AMG applicants higher than their FMG applicants. That may be true, I'm not entirely sure.

I had heard that too about next year. Then again, it was supposed to be true (or at least it was supposed to start) this year, and that sure didn't happen. I would be willing to bet (I'll bet a dollar) that very little changes.