Match week thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I encounter the same thing, even in people actually interested in rads. It's like, are you completely obvious to match data
Funny after a cursory glance at the match data there seems to be a lot of PDs out there with this mindset as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Heck yes, I'm pretty excited that Rads is so easy to match into right now. I know that its for selfish reasons but I like knowing that even if my USMLE isn't 240+ I can still match into a field I'm very interested in.

I am amazed at how many of my osteopathic classmates believe that Rads is still super competitive. Every time I've brought it up they're like "oh man, rads is way too competitive... I'm going for (insert semi-competitive field such as EM)." Hell, even my adviser told me that rads is incredibly competitive... and that was the last time I took what he said seriously.
Shhhhh. Don't give away the secret. Let them think it's still competitive and reap the benefits! Also, they don't take just any old applicant. Rads still.. Requires above avg stats

Shhhhh. Don't give away the secret. Let them think it's still competitive and reap the benefits! Also, they don't take just any old applicant. Rads still.. Requires above avg stats

I def won't be giving away the secret! I just nod when they say that

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny after a cursory glance at the match data there seems to be a lot of PDs out there with this mindset as well.

Sometimes I wonder if PDs keep their rank lists artificially short because they'd rather SOAP an unsuccessful derm or ENT applicant with stellar stats than rank an average candidate who prefers to be in radiology. That, and there's just an inertia to these things. By the time PDs adapt, rads' competitiveness may be back on the incline, and they'll be telling people who won't match that they're golden.

Sometimes I wonder if PDs keep their rank lists artificially short because they'd rather SOAP an unsuccessful derm or ENT applicant with stellar stats than rank an average candidate who prefers to be in radiology. That, and there's just an inertia to these things. By the time PDs adapt, rads' competitiveness may be back on the incline, and they'll be telling people who won't match that they're golden.

I thought about this today when residents in the department I'm rotating through were talking about how they were looking at SOAPing a guy that wanted ENT and scored 254 on step 1. We're the Slytherin of medical specialties if this is the mindset.

Yale, New Haven. Pretty happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone who matched.

Looks like there were a total of 680 US Seniors who applied this year for 1132 spots. There were 1141 total applicants, including all categories.

Total applicants compared to prior years:
1,141 total applicants 2015
1,288 total applicants 2014
1,307 total applicants 2013
1,219 total applicants 2012
1,299 total applicants 2011
1,431 total applicants 2010
1,543 total applicants 2009

US MD Seniors compared to prior years:
680 US seniors in 2015
803 US seniors in 2014
865 US seniors in 2013
875 US seniors in 2012
940 US seniors in 2011
1,027 US seniors in 2010
1,117 US seniors in 2009

Additionally the number of positions (including PGY1 and PGY2) has increased slightly from 1090 (2010) to 1132 (2015) over the past 5 years.

Congrats everyone who matched.

Looks like there were a total of 680 US Seniors who applied this year for 1132 spots. There were 1141 total applicants, including all categories.

Total applicants compared to prior years:
1,141 total applicants 2015
1,288 total applicants 2014
1,307 total applicants 2013
1,219 total applicants 2012
1,299 total applicants 2011
1,431 total applicants 2010
1,543 total applicants 2009

US MD Seniors compared to prior years:
680 US seniors in 2015
803 US seniors in 2014
865 US seniors in 2013
875 US seniors in 2012
940 US seniors in 2011
1,027 US seniors in 2010
1,117 US seniors in 2009

Additionally the number of positions (including PGY1 and PGY2) has increased slightly from 1090 (2010) to 1132 (2015) over the past 5 years.

So if 680 US seniors are filling 1132 spots, where do the other 500 come from? There were 131 unfilled positions right?

So does that mean ~370 are FMG and DOs? And 131 will SOAP?

So if 680 US seniors are filling 1132 spots, where do the other 500 come from? There were 131 unfilled positions right?

Seems like it...

So does that mean ~370 are FMG and DOs?

You probably have some people with past GME who are applying, too (PGY-x in whatever other specialty or people who have had an intern year somewhere)

You probably have some people with past GME who are applying, too (PGY-x in whatever other specialty or people who have had an intern year somewhere)

There are 24 R* physician spots (23 of which filled in the match) that are only for physicians who will have completed a qualifying intern year somewhere by July 2015 and are for immediate entry into PGY2 this July. These positions are separate from the above mentioned numbers.

Mt sinai slr. My first choice. Psyched beyond belief.

Edit: Quoted arunner without meaning to. Looked like a weirdo. Dont care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

There are 1132 positions, 151 unfilled spots, and ~680 US seniors who matched, leaving ~300 spots for IMG's and DO's. Last year 92 DO's matched if I remember correctly. This year I'm betting it will be more like ~120 and the other 180 will be IMG's, plus whoever was taken in SOAP.

Who cares how many DOs and IMGs, those guys are smart for buying low. You guys matched into a cool field, enjoy these next few weeks. Congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched to Vanderbilt, 1st choice. Couldn't be more excited! :) Also, I'm not worried about where the specialty is going. I'll love what I do and can watch my kids grow up with them knowing who I am and being able to comfortably support them: these things are very important to me. Prestige and a neurosurgery salary aren't something I care too much about. Besides, it might be naive, but I have faith the specialty will recover with time and has a bright future.

Matched to Vanderbilt, 1st choice. Couldn't be more excited! :) Also, I'm not worried about where the specialty is going. I'll love what I do and can watch my kids grow up with them knowing who I am and being able to comfortably support them: these things are very important to me. Prestige and a neurosurgery salary aren't something I care too much about. Besides, it might be naive, but I have faith the specialty will recover with time and has a bright future.

Idk....most of the reading rooms i've been in are pretty dark. :p

Congratulations!