Match Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck folks, and all the best,
Steph.

Members don't see this ad.

Want to echo the warm wishes to all!

Also, met many awesome people on the trail, and would love to find out where these people end up. Have seen the "who's who" thread from other years, but given that there are 6-7 matching from iowa, 6-7 matching from UWisc, 5-6 from Hopkins, etc, the format used previously would be rather uninformative. What would people think if we posted in this fashion? I can see opposition to using names, but are initials OK? Any reason not to be fully open about where people match that I'm missing?
Also, think many of us formed friendships, would be cool to know if anyone would be in the same city for internship.

Example:

MayoJax (1 total spots)
AA, male, MD, Harvard (TY, MayoJax)

UCSF (3 total spots)
BB, female, MD/Ph.D, WashU (TY, Roanoke country club, VA)
CC, male, MD, Stanford (TY, Santa Clara, CA)
DD, female, MD/Ph.D, Michigan (prelim, Northwestern Evanston IL)

where AA, BB etc are initials. Cool by most people out there? Too much?

why not post dob, ssn, and credit card numbers as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no problem with posting the info CancerDancer has suggested. I have met a lot of great people along the interview trail and would like to know where everyone has landed. It could be left up to each poster, whether they want to give their initials or not, although I don't know why you would want to post your school/degree/etc. but not your initials. We will all know where everyone matched when the next ARRO resident directory comes out anyway. Plus, you can use the "Impressions" account to log in if you don't want to give away your username.

Good luck to everyone on Thursday!

Other fields have their own forums where full names and medical schools are posted post-Match. These include hyper-competitive specialities like Derm and Neurosurgery. I'm not sure why everyone is so squeamish . . . what are they afraid of?

PGY-1: 15 positions offered, 0 unfilled
PGY-2: 129 positions offered, 8 unfilled (4 central region, 4 northeastern region)

looks pretty similar to last year

4 northeastern are probably 2 UMDNJ and 2 Columbia because they were registered with NRMP, but did not actually take anyone.

The 4 central was probably 3 from Northwestern because they also failed to withdraw from NRMP.

so that leaves 1 spot open.

A friend of mine mentioned that the NSurg people set up a Wiki. Although I have absolutely no idea how to do this, it sounds like a good idea. And why not just use full names? Who cares?

Do please be considerate of the names thing. The thing people care about is having their name so readily available on the net. When youre an MD, people google you all the time. The added layer of privacy in your life is nice. Also, it might be possible for people to link names with user names if you mention matching. So please be sensitive to privacy. thanks.

Even if people don't want to post names, I say maybe also say if you're an MD and did a year of research-- might be helpful for future rad onc applicants.

4 northeastern are probably 2 UMDNJ and 2 Columbia because they were registered with NRMP, but did not actually take anyone.

The 4 central was probably 3 from Northwestern because they also failed to withdraw from NRMP.

I thought Kansas was another program in the same boat as those listed above? Couldn't that be the other spot?

For that matter, I thought I heard UC Irvine or Davis had also failed to unregister.

belated good luck to everyone

I thought Kansas was another program in the same boat as those listed above? Couldn't that be the other spot?

For that matter, I thought I heard UC Irvine or Davis had also failed to unregister.

Kansas, Davis, and Irvine were not on the final NRMP list. The number of positions according to todays data (129 +15 or 144) is the same number that the NRMP has listed if you include Columbia, UMDNJ, and NWU.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your objection is noted, thanks for helping out. Perhaps the following form would be useful to people instead?

MayoJax (1 total spot)
1 U.S. medical student

UCSF (3 total spots)
3 U.S. medical students

I agree with Gfunk6, I don't see the big deal. Steph--you're worried that someone might google us and find out where we went to medical school, if we have a Ph.D, and where we did our internship? That would be awful!--
Internship
SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital, Internal Medicine, 2000
Residency
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Radiation Oncology, 2002
Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Radiation Oncology Chief Resident, 2003-2004;
Medical School
St. George's University School of Medicine, 1999

:)

As far as the research etc for each, would suggest saving that for the "profiles of those who matched" thread that people have added to before. A good forum to allow people to voice what they did to get good letters, bolster application etc.

Do we have a consensus? We should obviously only use the impressions account to post results. But compromise on initials, or use names? As Wm Tell said, would be nice to know.

I am curious whether the programs know that who matched to their program right now or they should also wait until this Thursday. Any idea? Thanks,:luck:

Our PD told us they find out Wednesday. Know some people in other fields have been called by Chair or PD on Wednesday night or Thursday a.m. to be "welcomed to the family" so they find out early that way, but our PD says he keeps it under lock & key. Not sure if there's any policy about it, but you'll either get a call from someone or find out Thursday.

Some people may not like the fact that things they may have said on this board can be traced back. I think if you want to put your initials you can, but you probably shouldn't put someone else's initials or name.

Steph, me, Clint, and SchwettieBalls and a few others use our real names. But others do not - i.e. cancerdancer, radonc, and Dwight90210 - and there is probably a reason for it.

Everything is probably okay - degree, research experience, etc.

S

all this match stuff is so exciting! and equally terrifying. Goodluck everyone!! hopefully I get to be in this position next year (with good news i hope).

Our PD told us they find out Wednesday. Know some people in other fields have been called by Chair or PD on Wednesday night or Thursday a.m. to be "welcomed to the family" so they find out early that way, but our PD says he keeps it under lock & key. Not sure if there's any policy about it, but you'll either get a call from someone or find out Thursday.

Programs find out Wednesday afternoon. Most of us abide by the rules and don't contact matched applicants until after envelope time on Thursday.

maybe people who didnt match could post their stats as well...

I guess I'm out of the loop here. Why would Columbia and UMDNJ register with nRMP but not take anyone? Likewise what does it mean if Northwestern is supposed to have withdrawn from the NRMP?

On that note... good luck everyone for thursday!

I wanted to also add my belated good-luck to everyone this week! I can't believe a whole year has already passed since I was in your shoes. Intern year will fly by.. (that is, if you're doing a TY =) Best wishes!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. I hope everyone is happy with where they matched. And that all the programs are as pleased with their future residents as we are with ours.

Cheers!

An SGU grad matched in radonc.

> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:50:00 -0400
>
> Subject: Where Did I Match?
>
> March 20, 2008
>

> School Code: 21303
> School Name: Saint Georges University
>
>
> Congratulations, you have matched!
>
>
> Program Name: Medicine-Preliminary
> Institution Name: SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
>
>
> Program Name: Radiation-Oncology
> Institution Name: NY Methodist Hospital-NY

He permitted me to mention this with that caveat that it was an uphill battle what with being an IMG and needing a visa. Should he wish to relay any more info he will post himself.

>
>
> March 20, 2008
>

>
>
>
>
>
>

He permitted me to mention this with that caveat that it was an uphill battle what with being an IMG and needing a visa. Should he wish to relay any more info he will post himself.
That's super encouraging. I would love to know more information on what it takes for an img to match into rad onc... hopefully he'll post some more stats. at any rate, congrats!

>
>
> March 20, 2008
>

>
>
>
>
>
>

shocking!

Shocking...you have no idea.

Undergrad: McGill (I'm Canadian)
Med school: SGU graduated 2006 (cum laude)
GPA: 3.8 (letter grades, A >90%, B >80%, C >70%, F <70%)
USMLE step 1/step 2: 99/95
AOA: N/A (substituted by IEA)
Research/Publications: 2 years of research (both basic science and clinical) with 4 publications by interview season (all Rad Onc related): 1st author in Cancer, 2 pubs in Red journal, 1 pub in Stereotactic journal. Oral presentation at ASTRO, poster at ASCO.
Away rotation: All Rad Onc rotations are away rotations for me. I did 3, all on the East Coast.

My match success can be summed up into 2 categories:
  • Intrinsic (40%): hard work, perseverance
  • Extrinsic (60%): LUCK
That may not seem encouraging, but let me explain why:

• Most PD do not download IMG applications, therefore I was lucky for the programs that did.
  • Upon reviewing an IMG application, they tend not to interview those applicants, therefore I was lucky that something in my app caught their eye, or more importantly, they remembered me from a rotation.
  • Even upon interviewing, I was left with the impression that many programs would not rank an IMG applicant highly or even at all (aka courtesy interview), but may think of you as a "good back up". I had several interviewers complement me on my research, Step scores, Letters of Rec, then flip to my transcript and say "You went to St. George's? That's in Granada or Grenada or something right?" and the interview would conclude in 30 secs. But I was also lucky enough to have some interviewers find out I went to SGU and then ask me about my experience and how it benefited me.
What I would do as an IMG applicant for 2010, 2011, 2012&#8230;:
  • As many away rotations as possible. Your best chance is to have the programs meet you and add a personal dimension to your application.
  • RESEARCH: It is the main talking point in almost every interview, next to why Rad Onc and why you. It displays your interest and capacity.
  • Try to do research at a program that will take your applications seriously. Easier said than done.
  • I know some of what I said may sound pessimistic, but I'm just trying to be honest with you. This will not be easy. I did not achieve this by myself, I had many people in the field who believed in me and did everything in their capacity to help me match.
My 2 cents:
The summary of my experience so far, is that it is extremely difficult as an IMG to match into Rad Onc. If you are like myself, and could not see yourself in any other field, than go for it, but before you go all or nothing, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well&#8230;do ya, punk?

I will be going on a well deserved vacation for the next 2 weeks, so forgive me if I do not respond to any inqueries during that time.

Congrats to those that matched and good luck to those still pursuing the dream.

Shocking...you have no idea.

Undergrad: McGill (I’m Canadian)
Med school: SGU graduated 2006 (cum laude)
GPA: 3.8 (letter grades, A >90%, B >80%, C >70%, F <70%)
USMLE step 1/step 2: 99/95
AOA: N/A (substituted by IEA)
Research/Publications: 2 years of research (both basic science and clinical) with 4 publications by interview season (all Rad Onc related): 1st author in Cancer, 2 pubs in Red journal, 1 pub in Stereotactic journal. Oral presentation at ASTRO, poster at ASCO.
Away rotation: All Rad Onc rotations are away rotations for me. I did 3, all on the East Coast.

My match success can be summed up into 2 categories:
  • Intrinsic (40%): hard work, perseverance
  • Extrinsic (60%): LUCK
That may not seem encouraging, but let me explain why:

• Most PD do not download IMG applications, therefore I was lucky for the programs that did.
  • Upon reviewing an IMG application, they tend not to interview those applicants, therefore I was lucky that something in my app caught their eye, or more importantly, they remembered me from a rotation.
  • Even upon interviewing, I was left with the impression that many programs would not rank an IMG applicant highly or even at all (aka courtesy interview), but may think of you as a “good back up”. I had several interviewers complement me on my research, Step scores, Letters of Rec, then flip to my transcript and say “You went to St. George’s? That’s in Granada or Grenada or something right?” and the interview would conclude in 30 secs. But I was also lucky enough to have some interviewers find out I went to SGU and then ask me about my experience and how it benefited me.
What I would do as an IMG applicant for 2010, 2011, 2012…:
  • As many away rotations as possible. Your best chance is to have the programs meet you and add a personal dimension to your application.
  • RESEARCH: It is the main talking point in almost every interview, next to why Rad Onc and why you. It displays your interest and capacity.
  • Try to do research at a program that will take your applications seriously. Easier said than done.
  • I know some of what I said may sound pessimistic, but I’m just trying to be honest with you. This will not be easy. I did not achieve this by myself, I had many people in the field who believed in me and did everything in their capacity to help me match.
My 2 cents:
The summary of my experience so far, is that it is extremely difficult as an IMG to match into Rad Onc. If you are like myself, and could not see yourself in any other field, than go for it, but before you go all or nothing, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well…do ya, punk?

I will be going on a well deserved vacation for the next 2 weeks, so forgive me if I do not respond to any inqueries during that time.

Congrats to those that matched and good luck to those still pursuing the dream.

congrats, you are as as strong an applicant as they come.

congrats to those who matched. looking at the stats of those who matched makes me feel blessed and lucky to have matched at all (my prayers were really answered). to those who did not match, I wish them the best of luck with this cycle and the next if needed.

I dont think there are a heck of a lot of courtesy interviews these days.