You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Most Competitive Specialties NRMP Match 2005 vs. 2021
Started by 2021Doctor
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Money talks. Bulls*it walks.
It looks like this list is missing some surgical sub-specialties like Urology and Neurosurgery
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Imagine being less competitive than peds! Well now we are. Im cool with that. Sad for our field. So many colleagues who have so much of their self identity and ego wrapped up in our field being “elite” are having a tough time. Maybe should start a support group!?
Imagine being less competitive than peds! Well now we are. Im cool with that. Sad for our field. So many colleagues who have so much of their self identity and ego wrapped up in our field being “elite” are having a tough time. Maybe should start a support group!?
Some have turned to alcohol and drugs. Very sad stuff
a joke is truth wrapped in a smileSome have turned to alcohol and drugs. Very sad stuff
They have their own matchIt looks like this list is missing some surgical sub-specialties like Urology and Neurosurgery
Some call it a 6-pack, i call it a support group?Some have turned to alcohol and drugs. Very sad stuff
Yup like the midland song. Some say they got a drinking problem, but they got no problem drinking at all!Some call it a 6-pack, i call it a support group?
Applicant: Gap year? No, but I worked at the Gap in medical school.
Program Director: When can you start?
D
deleted1116990
Reminds of me of that time on my gap yah when I chundered all over the PD at the interview dinner and matched anyway...
Applicant: Gap year? No, but I worked at the Gap in medical school.
Program Director: When can you start?
That came up today in clinic in fact. One of the ROs here just had her cat‘s bladder tumor irradiated. I‘ve been wanting to meet the local vet RO(s) for a while since I think it’s super facscinating we have animal equivalents that we rarely interact with, and said we should invite them to give a talk here. I’m hoping haha. I just think it’s super neat and it‘s a shame we don’t talk more imo
My cat had a radiation oncologist, and they furry little bastard never even had a job or insurance.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For whatever reason there is a decent number of Vet rad onc jobs on the Astro websiteThat came up today in clinic in fact. One of the ROs here just had her cat‘s bladder tumor irradiated. I‘ve been wanting to meet the local vet RO(s) for a while since I think it’s super facscinating we have animal equivalents that we rarely interact with, and said we should invite them to give a talk here. I’m hoping haha. I just think it’s super neat and it‘s a shame we don’t talk more imo
It’s either fake or taken out of context.
General surgery more competitive than derm? PM&R, EM, and pathology more competitive than diagnostic radiology?
General surgery more competitive than derm? PM&R, EM, and pathology more competitive than diagnostic radiology?
It’s based purely on applicants/spots, not on average stats. Rads has always been in an odd boat where match rate for US MDs is near 100%, but average stats are very high. My interpretation is that it’s not that competitive to get a spot, but extremely competitive to be at one of the better programs.It’s either fake or taken out of context.
General surgery more competitive than derm? PM&R, EM, and pathology more competitive than diagnostic radiology?
D
deleted941485
It’s either fake or taken out of context.
General surgery more competitive than derm? PM&R, EM, and pathology more competitive than diagnostic radiology?
I think it has more to do with Derm increasing spots than Gen surg doing anything new
It’s from Bryan carmody who by all accounts is an expert on the match. Like any ranking, can quibble with the order, but for most part gets it rightIt’s either fake or taken out of context.
General surgery more competitive than derm? PM&R, EM, and pathology more competitive than diagnostic radiology?
99.2% is the highest in any specialty from 2005-2020.
99.2% is the highest in any specialty from 2005-2020.
Only 1 person who applied to rad onc in 2020 didn't match. How the tide has changed...
Who was the captain of the Titanic?
My sense of practioners and the work product was permanently stuck in like 1995 until like 3 years ago. And it really seemed in the 90s like it would be less popular with Gen X and future generations than it had been with boomers. But looking back today it would be the best option. I’d start out trying to be a volume provider in flyover country and become the boob job and lipo masterman.
I’d comp one stripper and then give the rest of the strip club a package deal. Would be ideal because medical malpractice is basically nonexistent there and poors are not as litigious as Beverly Hills crowd. I’d literally flyer sorority houses and would be like the Saul Goodman of fake tits and lipo in Dallas or Houston or similar, then franchise nationally and make ****loads just off rhinoplasty, butt implant and face lift referrals. It would be such an amazing legacy to be the guy that brought fake tits and lipo to the masses.
I would let some other doctor in my franchise develop a cancer pro bono schtick and use that for publicity. Would measure it as a loss leader though. Would NOT want to be known as the post cancer reconstruction guy though. I would have a personalized license plate that says MILFMKR.
#radoncrocksOnly 1 person who applied to rad onc in 2020 didn't match. How the tide has changed...
Who was the captain of the Titanic?
View attachment 349675
No way is IM/Peds #6.
Only radiation oncology didn't get the memo
www.theatlantic.com
Why America Has So Few Doctors
As a matter of basic economics, fewer doctors means less care and more expensive services.
Rad Onc has too doctors because Dennis Hallahan was sick of paying his faculty "too much" and lower tier programs found out residents were cheaper than APPsOnly radiation oncology didn't get the memo
![]()
Why America Has So Few Doctors
As a matter of basic economics, fewer doctors means less care and more expensive services.www.theatlantic.com
Last edited:
It's absurd to attribute the cost of medical care in the US to physician salary. And I don't think burnout is due to long hours, per se, but rather to working in a system that has evolved to discourage autonomy and in a society that has come to believe that science and evidence are political tools.Only radiation oncology didn't get the memo
![]()
Why America Has So Few Doctors
As a matter of basic economics, fewer doctors means less care and more expensive services.www.theatlantic.com
When this comes up (our salary as a function of cost of care), I like to think of it in terms of percent and the "culture of tipping" in America. In general, I think most people tip service industry workers 15-20% of the total bill, so a $100 dinner is a $15-20 tip (variable, I know).It's absurd to attribute the cost of medical care in the US to physician salary. And I don't think burnout is due to long hours, per se, but rather to working in a system that has evolved to discourage autonomy and in a society that has come to believe that science and evidence are political tools.
Most of us work on either PSA contracts or have some employee relationship where our salary is derived from some complicated mathematical voodoo. Regardless, unless you own machines and are getting the technical component too, it's very rare for any of us to be making more than 20% of total collections for our work.
Do people say "that meal was so expensive because of the tip I left the waiter"? Usually not, in my experience.
But admin will happily let this myth continue so they can keep their jobs of scheduling Zoom meetings and looking at Press Ganey scores.
Exactly. The worst possible arrangement in life is responsibility without authority or autonomy.It's absurd to attribute the cost of medical care in the US to physician salary. And I don't think burnout is due to long hours, per se, but rather to working in a system that has evolved to discourage autonomy and in a society that has come to believe that science and evidence are political tools.
If the money wasn’t there, you’d have to be an idiot to keep doing this job.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Especially in other high risk specialties responsibility also equates to liability.Exactly. The worst possible arrangement in life is responsibility without authority or autonomy.
If the money wasn’t there, you’d have to be an idiot to keep doing this job.
D
deleted941485
It's absurd to attribute the cost of medical care in the US to physician salary. And I don't think burnout is due to long hours, per se, but rather to working in a system that has evolved to discourage autonomy and in a society that has come to believe that science and evidence are political tools.
This was another hit job on doctors. Also to suggest the govt throw more money at residency programs is also absurd. HCA seems to have no problem expanding EM and Anesthesia residencies without HHS help.
Also to suggest that foreign doctors come here just alleviate our suffering is laughable and that we somehow overprotect our doctors. I can’t go to Western Europe and just start practicing. Also I’m pretty sure most of these “foreign doctors” are coming from places where they are probably needed far more acutely than the US. I can’t imaging the HC needs of NewDelhi or Bangkok are less acute than those of say Detroit or Cleveland where many of these fine overseas clinicians will find themselves. It isn’t out of a burning desire to help others that draws them to the US its the prospect of a better life.
They suggest it is a conspiracy is dubious but I guess construing it as such is designed to make the ignoramuses that already buy into conspiracy theories feel vindicated.
If we opened up the flood gates and morphed the healthcare system here to a free buffet line for foreign docs, I would bet my life savings these same “journalists” aka propagandists would be writing hit pieces against the open door policy, citing how unregulated and dangerous it is to allow our elderly to be treated by people who didn’t go to medical school or residency in the US.This was another hit job on doctors. Also to suggest the govt throw more money at residency programs is also absurd. HCA seems to have no problem expanding EM and Anesthesia residencies without HHS help.
Also to suggest that foreign doctors come here just alleviate our suffering is laughable and that we somehow overprotect our doctors. I can’t go to Western Europe and just start practicing. Also I’m pretty sure most of these “foreign doctors” are coming from places where they are probably needed far more acutely than the US. I can’t imaging the HC needs of NewDelhi or Bangkok are less acute than those of say Detroit or Cleveland where many of these fine overseas clinicians will find themselves. It isn’t out of a burning desire to help others that draws them to the US its the prospect of a better life.
They suggest it is a conspiracy is dubious but I guess construing it as such is designed to make the ignoramuses that already buy into conspiracy theories feel vindicated
D
deleted941485
If we opened up the flood gates and morphed the healthcare system here to a free buffet line for foreign docs, I would bet my life savings these same “journalists” aka propagandists would be writing hit pieces against the open door policy, citing how unregulated and dangerous it is to allow our elderly to be treated by people who didn’t go to medical school or residency in the US.
Yeah not sure where they would go with it. Journalists these days are hacks who all think they’re one piece away from a Pulitzer and think everything is a conspiracy to fan flames
There are literally so many avenues they could take. Maybe they’ll take the Marxist view of exploration of the physician underclass, or attack the PE firms, etc
All I know is if your writing for the Atlantic: you aren’t a fan of doctors no matter how good they are.
Journalism has never been about fairness or finding the truth it’s about influencing people to buy into your interpretation of the data. The rest of it is incidental.
You'd think the Atlantic could find someone other than this to comment on the healthcare system:Yeah not sure where they would go with it. Journalists these days are hacks who all think they’re one piece away from a Pulitzer and think everything is a conspiracy to fan flames
There are literally so many avenues they could take. Maybe they’ll take the Marxist view of exploration of the physician underclass, or attack the PE firms, etc
All I know is if your writing for the Atlantic: you aren’t a fan of doctors no matter how good they are.
Journalism has never been about fairness or finding the truth it’s about influencing people to buy into your interpretation of the data. The rest of it is incidental.
Derek Thompson: books, biography, latest update
Follow Derek Thompson and explore their bibliography from Amazon's Derek Thompson Author Page.
www.amazon.com
Is this not why we have nurse practioners? Maybe we don't need doctors but more NPs. They are pretty much seeing 30-50%of primary care visits it feels in my area alreadyYou'd think the Atlantic could find someone other than this to comment on the healthcare system:
I'm not going to make an ad hominem argument to discredit him, but this absurd article combined with his absolute lack of any semblance of a pertinent background causes me to conclude that the best thing he could do for everyone is STFU.![]()
Derek Thompson: books, biography, latest update
Follow Derek Thompson and explore their bibliography from Amazon's Derek Thompson Author Page.www.amazon.com
D
deleted941485
Is this not why we have nurse practioners? Maybe we don't need doctors but more NPs. They are pretty much seeing 30-50%of primary care visits it feels in my area already
Seeing 100% of the consults in the hospital where I am. Quality has never been better! 😂
Sounds like you might be a fan of an authoritarian govt?Yeah not sure where they would go with it. Journalists these days are hacks who all think they’re one piece away from a Pulitzer and think everything is a conspiracy to fan flames
There are literally so many avenues they could take. Maybe they’ll take the Marxist view of exploration of the physician underclass, or attack the PE firms, etc
All I know is if your writing for the Atlantic: you aren’t a fan of doctors no matter how good they are.
Journalism has never been about fairness or finding the truth it’s about influencing people to buy into your interpretation of the data. The rest of it is incidental.
D
deleted941485
Sounds like you might be a fan of an authoritarian govt?
Yeah I love price controls, govt dictats, work songs, and confiscation of property. Those have always led to a better healthier me! Would feel right at home!
The chinese have their doors wide open for you. They love protons too!Yeah I love price controls, govt dictats, work songs, and confiscation of property. Those have always led to a better healthier me! Would feel right at home!
Last edited:
D
deleted941485
The chinese have their doors white open for you. They love protons too!
Together we shall smash the capitalist parasite of cancer using triumphant protons.
Forward together in progress for glorious leader!
Protons and the red book. I love it!View attachment 350388
Together we shall smash the capitalist parasite of cancer using triumphant protons.
Forward together in progress for glorious leader!
pathology & pm&r over rads.......?