Match Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlearner33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone today :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, amazing how the time flies!
I hope everyone gets what they want. However, if there are people who end up not getting the match they wanted or expected, please know that things can work out for the best in the long run even in that case (for those who don't already know, I originally didn't match and it was a huge disappointment at the time, but in the long run things turned out well for me).

Oh really is that this week.......

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope everyone gets what they want. However, if there are people who end up not getting the match they wanted or expected, please know that things can work out for the best in the long run even in that case .
Very good point. Med-types being med-types, we get very caught up in the match process but at the end of the day, you'll be getting very comparable training between your #1 and #5 pick. What you get out of residency seems to depend a lot more on what you put into it.

Good luck with the waiting game. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for you on Friday!

Well I matched! Four more days til I find out where. I would love to see that unfilled program list, but with posting it supposedly being a big no no, I guess Ill have to wait. Hope everyone got the news they wanted.

I matched. Quite pleased, considering I only had 6 on my list, and I'm an IMG.

Good luck to everyone.

Am i the only one that feels a little "eustress" now?

I think its because my top 2programs programs are more than 1600 miles from each other. :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched - yay!

Congrats everyone! Only 38 spots went unfilled (only 3 in the West) out of over 1100. Won't be fun for scramblers.

(wow, radiology saw 11 spots go unfilled, and plastic sgy 4 spots. anesthesia saw 22 go unfilled. interesting.)

Last edited:
Actually there were 86 spots from radiology that went unfilled!!! (most rads is PGY-2). How many unfilled spots were there last year in psych?

Matched! Congratulations everyone!! Excited (and nervous) for Friday!

sweet. good work everyone! colleagues!

I am at arrowhead, which is affiliated with COMP/WesternU. Our psych program filled back in Feb when the AOA match took place.

Good luck to all.

cheers.

Matched - yay!

Congrats everyone! Only 38 spots went unfilled (only 3 in the West) out of over 1100. Won't be fun for scramblers.

(wow, radiology saw 11 spots go unfilled, and plastic sgy 4 spots. anesthesia saw 22 go unfilled. interesting.)

38 is more than I expected. If my math is correct last year there were 27 unfilled spots from 15 programs (not counting direct psych research spots of which there were 2 additional unfilled spots).

Congrats to those who have matched, and good luck to those using SOAP.

whos the first brave soul to be SOAPing?

At the risk of losing some anonymity...I present: Match Day (feat. Dr. John Barone)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc[/YOUTUBE]

An MS4 friend of mine did not match. He ranked 6 programs in psychiatry, which I think was too few.

He received a handwritten letter from one program which did not fill.

Does this mean that that program did not rank him at all? Why would a PD write a letter then not even rank someone? It seems like it would be a waste of time for the PD.

An MS4 friend of mine did not match. He ranked 6 programs in psychiatry, which I think was too few.

Does this mean that that program did not rank him at all? Why would a PD write a letter then not even rank someone? It seems like it would be a waste of time for the PD.

Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. Yes, unfortunately it's most likely true that they didn't rank him (there's also the chance that either he or the program didn't certify their rank list correctly, but not ranking seems a lot more likely).
It's possible the PD really did like him but one of the interviewers said something at the ranking meeting that knocked him out of consideration.

If it's true that there are 38 psych spots this year, well, that's more than the number of spots open the year I scrambled, and all it takes is getting one of them. Good luck to those who do need to scramble.

Matched - yay!

Just out of curiosity, there's this number coming from?

Oh, and congrats to all the matched! Can't wait to welcome some of you guys to the ranks next year :thumbup:

Thank you. It was a difficult day. Your words are encouraging.

Yeah, I wondered if the program could have mis-entered his AAMC#, or if there could be a glitch in the algorithm. It is difficult to understand why a program would go through the trouble of interviewing someone and then not rank them. I think he is a decent applicant, but I can't mind read so who knows.

I helped my friend sort through the SOAP process today. I'm not sure if the SOAP vs pure, no rules scramble will increase his odds or hurt him. I know another student who didn't match in a different field, and is now applying to psych programs in the SOAP. You can crap-shoot numerous programs. 30 until Wednesday, then 10, then 5.

But the old scramble sounds like hell.

You're an inspiration, Peppy. I personally think this whole process has many flaws, and favors the institution over the applicant.

Hopefully he will match somewhere. Will it reflect badly on him to train at a program which did not fill?

From the unfilled list. It's true, 38 spots. If you know someone who didn't match, you can take a peek.

Thank you. It was a difficult day. Your words are encouraging.

Yeah, I wondered if the program could have mis-entered his AAMC#, or if there could be a glitch in the algorithm. It is difficult to understand why a program would go through the trouble of interviewing someone and then not rank them. I think he is a decent applicant, but I can't mind read so who knows.

I helped my friend sort through the SOAP process today. I'm not sure if the SOAP vs pure, no rules scramble will increase his odds or hurt him. I know another student who didn't match in a different field, and is now applying to psych programs in the SOAP. You can crap-shoot numerous programs. 30 until Wednesday, then 10, then 5.

But the old scramble sounds like hell.

You're an inspiration, Peppy. I personally think this whole process has many flaws, and favors the institution over the applicant.

Hopefully he will match somewhere. Will it reflect badly on him to train at a program which did not fill?

It shouldn't. In the last few years some pretty prestigious programs have gone unfilled at various points (I don't have specifics, but I'm sure others can fill in the details: think Harvard, Columbia - that kind of echelon). In any case, it's hard to know why a program wouldn't rank an applicant for sure, but I think usually (barring extenuating circumstances) the invitation for interview stems primarily from how someone looks on paper (including academic strength, research, etc). From there, the decision to not rank someone usually comes from how the person comes across during an interview. In my experience, if a couple of faculty members or residents have questions about how that person would fit with program, that can sometimes be enough to not rank.

Anyway, I wouldn't get hung up on why your friend didn't match. Ultimately, if he's able to scramble in via SOAP, that's the most important thing right now.

I write for multiple people.

I matched. In retrospect, I don't know that I knew enough about medicine culture to really pick a specialty this past August. I was so positive about psychiatry, then during a medicine elective last month, I realized, wow, I really like medicine as well. It's really difficult to apply to more than one specialty. I had been thinking, if I don't match, I'll apply to family medicine. And now my poor friend didn't match at all.

Despite my doubts, I am so grateful I matched. This was a tough year for applicants.

But hopefully it will work out for all of us.

If any reading this did not match, keep your eyes on what you want, without worrying about what others are thinking.

... It is difficult to understand why a program would go through the trouble of interviewing someone and then not rank them...

This shouldn't be surprising at all, and programs don't see interviews as trouble but as a welcomed necessity. The whole point of the interview is to see what the candidate is like in person and weed out people who are not good fits. That's the point. So you would expect a number of interviewees to get the boot. And indeed this is what happens. Many of the 8 programs I interviewed at told me straight up that they interview 80 to 90 candidates, and rank approx 60 or so. Of course the numbers vary by program, but not ranking about 20 interviewees per program seemed common at least from my experience.

It shouldn't. In the last few years some pretty prestigious programs have gone unfilled at various points (I don't have specifics, but I'm sure others can fill in the details: think Harvard, Columbia - that kind of echelon). In any case, it's hard to know why a program wouldn't rank an applicant for sure, but I think usually (barring extenuating circumstances) the invitation for interview stems primarily from how someone looks on paper (including academic strength, research, etc). From there, the decision to not rank someone usually comes from how the person comes across during an interview. In my experience, if a couple of faculty members or residents have questions about how that person would fit with program, that can sometimes be enough to not rank.

Anyway, I wouldn't get hung up on why your friend didn't match. Ultimately, if he's able to scramble in via SOAP, that's the most important thing right now.

I dunno about Harvard and Columbia, but there are good programs that go unfilled. Last year Georgetown, GW, BU, UIC to name a few (technically UCLA and Hopkins both had unfilled spots but they were research spots) all had open positions. From the rumblings I've heard this year there is at least one program that I was really surprised went unfilled (if the rumors are true). I'm (im)patiently waiting for an unfilled program list to be posted or pop up somewhere on the Internet.

I dunno about Harvard and Columbia
Longwood and NYU both failed to fill my year. And it's not because they're not amazing programs. Just really bad luck, maybe a little bad strategery on the program's part. While it's humiliating for a program not to fill, it may or may not be indicative of anything.

Matched! (Although I felt confident that I would, it still feels nice considering there are many who don't match every year, including several who also felt very confident about the match.)

That is odd unless the PD writes handwritten notes to everyone. Are there any programs where that happens? Mistakes in rank lists can and do happen -- I think one program in another specialty didn't match anyone one year because they made some mistake in submitting their list -- but not ranking is more likely. Sorry about your friend's situation, but I'm hoping the new SOAP process beats the old scramble.

Congrats to everyone who matched!

Anyone can access the list of unfilled spots by region. From your main NRMP page, click on 'my reports' on the left side of the page.

Where is Splik?... :-/

Anyone can access the list of unfilled spots by region. From your main NRMP page, click on 'my reports' on the left side of the page.

I know, which is alright, but I'm curious to see the list of specific programs that did not fill. That's much more telling than the by region stats, which doesn't say much IMO, except that california is still a very desireable location.

I am very happy I matched. Only ranked 4 programs on West Coast. :) Thank You SDN psych!

I know, which is alright, but I'm curious to see the list of specific programs that did not fill. That's much more telling than the by region stats, which doesn't say much IMO, except that california is still a very desireable location.

I saw the stats today and it left me wanting more. I wonder if they are going to release more detailed information next Monday after everyone is matched.

The NRMP has posted the list of unfilled programs in the past. I have no idea of the timeline of when it is released though.

Learned from our PD today that even the programs can't see where the unfilled spots are, unless you have one. So we're happy to be "SOAP ineligible" (Filled!), but we're waiting with curious impatience, too.

UCLA-SVF posted a psychiatry PGY-1 opening in the other forum. Does that mean they are one of the 3 unmatched slots in the west and are choosing it to participate in SOAP?

Longwood and NYU both failed to fill my year. And it's not because they're not amazing programs. Just really bad luck, maybe a little bad strategery on the program's part. While it's humiliating for a program not to fill, it may or may not be indicative of anything.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of. These things seem to ebb and flow and each year one or two solid programs seem to go unfilled for unclear reasons.

UCLA-SVF posted a psychiatry PGY-1 opening in the other forum. Does that mean they are one of the 3 unmatched slots in the west and are choosing it to participate in SOAP?

Why would they post that on SDN? Shouldn't SOAP applicants have the list of programs anyway. Seems kinda weird to me.

Why would they post that on SDN? Shouldn't SOAP applicants have the list of programs anyway. Seems kinda weird to me.

I dunno, it seems weird to me, that's why I posted it, but here it is

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=896531

Specifically says "outside the match position available", for PGY1 starting July 2012. Maybe the program didn't want to deal with the SOAP process. If that's the case it seems like it should be some kind of match violation. It's most certainly against the spirit of SOAP.